Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

A Mystery Two-Shilling Coin – Take a Guess?

Pierre_Henri

In the first picture I show both a digital picture and scan of a 1941 Two-Shilling in Uncirculated condition

In the second picture I show both a digital picture and scan of a 1947 Two-Shilling in Proof condition.

In the third picture I show both a digital picture and scan of a 194? Two-Shilling in Proof condition. I blanked out the exact date.

Please guess the correct date.

Pierre_Henri

A Mystery Two-Shilling Coin Take a Guess?

In the first picture I show both a digital picture and scan of a 1941 Two-Shilling in Uncirculated condition

Proef1_zps99yr83nl.jpg

In the second picture I show both a digital picture and scan of a 1947 Two-Shilling in Proof condition

Proef2_zpsgglllvsm.jpg

In the third picture I show both a digital picture and scan of a 194? Two-Shilling in Proof condition. I blanked out the exact date.

Proef3_zpslzocze2j.jpg

Please guess the correct date of the last piece.

The scarce 1943 - first year by SA Mint?

Pierre_Henri

Here is the coin - but how can it be? No proofs were issued in 1942?

Proef3_zpshcoos8jg.jpg

Hi Pierre,

Could it be prooflike by any chance. From what I know, with proof coins polished dies and blanks are used, whereas with prooflike polished dies and regular blanks are used. Is it possible that it is the other way round, a polished blank with regular dies. Interesting though.

Pierre_Henri

Thank you Derick. That could be the answer. I have sent the coin to a well known South African numismatist who will look at it and if he also agrees that it is a proof strike, will send it to NGC for grading. There is another example being a 1925 Sixpence that was struck for some unknown reason as a proof coin - according to Brian Hern, it is a once off "museum piece". See page 33 of his 2014/15 SA Coin catalogue.