Sign in to follow this  
kimbo11

Bought a stolen laptop on BOB

kimbo11

Hi

About four months ago i bought a laptop on bob and was just informed that it has been reported as stolen, what is my rights?

johan

Hi Kimbo11,

There are a number of things to consider regarding an issue like this, but in short this is how we would see a matter like this. You would need to get confirmation that the item is in fact stolen. This would be in the form of obtaining the case number and getting in touch with the investigating officer and confirm that the item in question is actually the one in your possession.

You would have to provide the details of how you obtained the item and cooperate with the investigating officer. You can also put them in touch with bidorbuy and we will also assist to our best ability in the matter.

I will be in touch to discuss the matter further with you personally.

Regards,

Johan du Toit

kimbo11
Hi Kimbo11,

There are a number of things to consider regarding an issue like this, but in short this is how we would see a matter like this. You would need to get confirmation that the item is in fact stolen. This would be in the form of obtaining the case number and getting in touch with the investigating officer and confirm that the item in question is actually the one in your possession.

You would have to provide the details of how you obtained the item and cooperate with the investigating officer. You can also put them in touch with bidorbuy and we will also assist to our best ability in the matter.

I will be in touch to discuss the matter further with you personally.

Regards,

Johan du Toit

Thank you Johan

Allstar
Hi

About four months ago i bought a laptop on bob and was just informed that it has been reported as stolen, what is my rights?

How did you discover it was stolen?

mrmouse

How did you discover it was stolen?

DELL etc keep all info on a database if you purchase it second hand you are supposed to reregister it with DELL , especially if there is a technical glitch , they can tell you the entire history all service calls etc , found that out when I purchased a second hand 100percent working laptop to only find out from DELL the seller had been advised to replace the motherboard by a service technician ,2 weeks prior to me buying it ,seller denied ever contacting DELL , but they actually did a house call on the seller , but he still denied it , eventually threw it away .Certain items you can list on the manufacturers website as stolen , as soon as the machine logs in it will turn off, get wiped , or lock you out depends on the security setup .Technology is a wonderfull thing , you can log in to your stolen machine and look at who is using it via the camera etc .

ER001

I've just had this same experience and posted about it in the forum, but for some reason the thread is not showing. Any reason why?

Here's the link to the thread:

http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/forum/bi...ng-sold-on-bob

*edit* replying to my own thread seemed to resolve that issue.

Edited by ER001

ER001

Just to add - please use software such as PreyProject to protect your goods. It takes 5 minutes to install and can be used to gather information on location, remotely wipe the unit etc.