Sign in to follow this  
Ni28

Well done to Pierre!

Ni28

Yesterday, the National Numismatic Society (NNS) hosted their annual dinner in Boksburg and Pierre Nortje was awarded a Merit Medallion. It is not easy being awarded these merit medallions, so he can be proud of this. As stated on the certificate, this was in recognition of his outstanding research and publication of a paper on “The Truth behind the Griqua Town Coinage”. I always felt as a numismatic community we should be publishing more of our research and this contribution from Pierre is therefore a wonderful addition to our numismatic libraries.

The prize is a beautiful “metallic” certificate with a medal of the NNS inserted. Unfortunately, I did not get a good photograph of this certificate, so perhaps Pierre can post us one in this thread?

Pierre_Henri

Thank you Professor Malan

It was indeed an honor for me and my wife Mariana to be present last night at the annual National Numismatic Dinner & Awards ceremony in Johannesburg.

I sat wide eyed while numismatic giants like Prof Michael Laidlaw from Pietermaritzburg and Glenn Schoeman & Michael Kaplan from Johannesburg received their awards from the President of the National Numismatic Society, Peter Wilson.

It was also a privilege to rub shoulders with the likes of yourself (who gave a sterling talk on the steel 20c patterns of the 2nd decimal series), Brian Hern, Anthony Govender, Werner, Morne, Ken, and so many others.

I have always wished to meet these distinguished numismatists in person, but as a Cape Townian seldom if ever gets the chance to do so.

What a wonderful evening it was.

Here are some pictures -- the first three are of Michael Laidlaw, Michael Kaplan and Glenn Schoeman receiving their awards from the NNS President. The last two pics are of me & the beautiful plaque & medallion I received for my paper regarding The Truth about the Griqua Coinage 1815/16

I am truly honored.

Pierre

DSC_1565_zpsguigjr3q.jpg

DSC_1576_zpsyxcgmqlu.jpgDSC_1572_zpscjxizht3.jpg

DSC_1562_zpsaqv4wqsq.jpg

Boks1_zpsjjf2rved.jpg

WRANGLER_4X4

Well done Pierre, where can I see this publication of this nature concerning The Truth behind the Griqua Town Coinage? Please show me what these coins looked like.

Regards

Simon Morris

Queenstown

Pierre_Henri

Hi Simon

Sorry for the late reply - you can find the publication under my listings on BidorBuy

But as it closes tonight or tomorrow night - I will send you a free copy

May I suggest that you also order Scott Balson's reply to my publication

See here

Scott Balson responds to Pierre Henri on Griquatown tokens

Kind regards

Pierre

Ni28

We received some queries regarding the various awards presented at the function, so here are some additional details below:

1. “Merit Medallion Award”: Presented to Pierre Nortje in recognition of his outstanding research and publication of a paper on “The Truth behind the Griqua Town Coinage".

2. “Special Achievement Award”: Presented to Michael Laidlaw for exceptional services to Numismatics in South Africa in development of a comprehensive website on “The Medallions of South Africa”.

3. “The Stan Kaplan Trophy”: Is a trophy that has been presented since 1983 and is awarded for “Excellence in Numismatics”. The trophy was originally donated by the Kaplan family and named after Stan who was the son of Alec Kaplan and Michael Kaplan’s father. In the past the trophy has been presented by Michael Kaplan, who is a third generation member of the Kaplan family involved in Numismatics . For the year 2015, the Society , however, awarded this prestigious trophy to Michael Kaplan himself. The contribution to Numismatics by the Kaplan family is legendary and speaks for itself.

4. “Protea Honoris Medal”: Awarded to Glenn Schoeman in recognition of his outstanding contribution to South African Numismatics over many years.