Sign in to follow this  
CardinaJewels

Does Bid Or Buy still Advertise

CardinaJewels

I am not sure which topic to post this under but I wanted to find out Bid Or Buys take on advertising as I have not seen adverts for quite some time now, As a seller I have noticed a considerable drop in business over the last year and upon searching on analytics this confirms that estimates are in 1 year bid or buy has dropped from 5mil to 3mil views per month, site rankings have fallen drastically and I was just curious if this is due to a management choice to reduce advertising budget or if there are other factors in play. Would love to hear anyone else's opinion on the matter

Vinyl Lady Decals

I have noticed exactly the same, it appears that bidorbuy is dying. My sales have gone from an average of R6000 a month to barely R1000 over the last year. It's getting to the point where I don't know if it's even worth continuing on bidorbuy anymore as it's more work without any sales to show for it.

CardinaJewels

Happy to hear that it is not just us noticing this, was really hoping to get some reply from bid or buy itself but think the quietness answers it on its own, I am also starting to wonder if our advertising budget is better spent elsewhere than on bid or buy, over a year it can add up close to 100K and although we are relatively small if some more sellers start pulling out there will be big revenue loss on bid or buys side and this will just add to the downfall. So one cant help but wonder if this is a sinking ship right now and if bid or buy is actually doing anything about it.

Following bid or buys twitter feed for example makes you realise how few people they are reaching, compared to takealot for example, the valentines giveaway I counted a total of 11 different entries, rather sad actually, Dont get me wrong I am not trying to be negative, I want bid or buy to succeed and in turn we all do better but just would love any feedback regarding company strategy and such but it is just way to quiet from their side lately

Miss Jewels

I have noticed a drastic drop in sales too. I have cancelled my premium store and have also not advertised on crazy Wednesday for 3 weeks. I am selling on another site (buy now only) and my sales there are more than triple. I'm not sure what happening with BoB but maybe management needs to starts speaking to the sellers......

johan

Hi All,

I am reading the thread here and I think it would be a good to respond to questions raised in this thread.

I think as most of us are aware that the market conditions are quite depressed at the moment and this has to do with various factors. If you read the news and follow the stock markets you will see that what you are experiencing at the moment is a reflection of what things are like for most South Africans at present. We also see that the there are big increases in food prices and cost of living which all affect the spending power of South Africans. In times like this you will find that people cut back spending on luxury items and some sellers can expect to see a slowing in trade.

As businesses we all find that the costs involved in running our day to day activities are getting more expensive. For those of us who deal in importing goods (directly and indirectly) we are seeing a rise in costs due to exchange rates, taxes etc. In these conditions some businesses will thrive while others will take strain to make ends meet. Periods of slow growth normally forces businesses to look inwards to find more innovative ways in order to stand out from the rest, and this time will not be different. This might be a good time to diversify and look at other ranges and products to compliment your existing offering. I would also suggest to people to pay close attention to things like fulfilment and service as a differentiator.

When we look at bidorbuy as a site we are seeing that the growth rate does reflect this trend in some categories while we are seeing an increase in trade in others. From a marketing perspective we have increased our budgets for this period in order to try and lessen this effect that some sellers are facing. We are still recording growth as a site on the whole but we do see that some sectors are affected more than others.

As an economy, country and businesses we have been in these situations before and we will certainly be here again at some point in time. We all have to do our best to trade through these periods and make the adjustments needed in order to trade in a sustainable way.

Regards,

Johan du Toit.

Fashion Police

I've also found a significant drop in sales over the past year - just over 2 thirds less than my usual monthly average. Unfortunately I had to resort to trading on other platforms as well to make sure that my monthly target is reached, as this is what I do for a living full time. I've found that my sales are twice as much on other platforms in comparison, which is strange considering there's a cost difference due to higher margins etc.

I do agree with Johan, and I don't think we've seen the worst as yet - cost of meat is rising soon nearly double in price and groceries we're looking at a 20% rise in the near future. Not to mention electricity etc...

I do however believe that there may be other factors in play as well affecting BoB sales for most sellers;

Unfortunately there are some "bad apples" that sell inferior quality products, fakes, offer poor service, slow delivery, overcharge on shipping etc. These things do put buyers off and reflects on all sellers & the site in general; people do tend to generalise and/or paint all sellers with the same brush.

Hopefully it will pick up again in future, BidorBuy will always be my first choice of online trading, reason being I feel that I can offer my customers better deals here & personalised service.