Sign in to follow this  
Jewellery Warehouse

Credit Card security on bidorbuy???

Jewellery Warehouse

Hello everyone. I see some other posts that there is an admin here in the forum. I need some assistance with a concern of mine.

I am registered as a basic seller and have not yet started to sell any products. I want to upgrade to an advanced seller but I am concerned regarding the need to supply my credit card details on an open site. If Admin can answer my questions below I would appreciate it:

1) Who has access to my credit card details (card number, expiry date and CVV number) which I need to fill in on the advanced seller registration page?

2) Where are these details stored? Are they on your local server and is the protection on the server bank quality security to prevent unauthorized viewing of my card details?

3) If one of your staff takes my card details and uses them, will you pay back the amount which your staff stole?

4) Is there any other information regarding the safeguarding of my card details which you can give me to ease my mind regarding the risk of supplying my details to you?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Amukelani Sibuyi

Jewellery Warehouse

No help then? Makes me think my details will not be secure

Free Soul Styles

Your details are safe. I've been here for 3 years. My details are all with them as well and i've never had problems. The info, if i'm not mistaken goes to the security department (good guys) and it stays there. Like i said, i've never had problems with them and my mom who is also a seller has never had problems.

Edited by Free Soul Styles

Jewellery Warehouse

Thank you for your response Free Soul Styles. However I am still waiting for a response from Bid Or Buy. I have no reply from them here, and no reply from my email to them. It does not give much confidence that they cannot even be bothered to answer a question from their site members.

How can I trust them with very sensitive details such as my credit card details, if I cannot even trust them to respond to a valid concern regarding the security of such details?

I am sure you can understand my point there.

For now I think I will just sell using the basic account until I can get some feedback from the Bid Or Buy staff.

Thanks,

Amukelani Sibuyi

MacMuffin

Hi there,

sorry for the delay in response. The forum is typically not monitored by customer care and I was just made aware of your post. If you had logged a ticket, please post a ticket-reference number to follow up why this was not answered.

Here the answers to the questions - we are PCI compliant and credit card data is handled as described here: https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/pci_fs_data_storage.pdf)

1) Who has access to my credit card details (card number, expiry date and CVV number) which I need to fill in on the advanced seller registration page?

Card data (card number, card holder name and expiry) is stored encrypted. The CVV is not stored at all and is only used for the initial authorisation with the payment gateway. Only privileged users (security staff) has access to masked credit card details - i.e. your card number would be displayed as "5221xxxxxxxx1234".

2) Where are these details stored? Are they on your local server and is the protection on the server bank quality security to prevent unauthorized viewing of my card details?

Stored and hosted at our data-centre with Internet Solutions (Bryanston DC) on our own databases running on our own hardware. Yes - PCI compliant and encrypted.

3) If one of your staff takes my card details and uses them, will you pay back the amount which your staff stole?

Staff would not be able to use your card details for transactions as no full card details are displayed and the CVV is never stored. All South African credit cards are also enrolled with 3d-secure which requires that the owner of the card authenticates via OTP/USSD or email. For peace of mind, verify with your bank that your card is enrolled in 3d-secure (all cards should be since 2014).

4) Is there any other information regarding the safeguarding of my card details which you can give me to ease my mind regarding the risk of supplying my details to you?

We process up to 20,000 credit card transactions per month and during my tenure at bidorbuy (since 2010), we have had no issue with credit cards. If credit card fraud occurs, it happens at physical retailers (cloning of your card) or if consumers are lured by scammers to disclose their banking-/credit card details via phishing scam (the typical "Your bank requires you to verify your credit card details")

I hope the above eases your mind.

admin

Thank you for clearing this up Mac. The only ticket on the system regarding this issue was sent in today 22 January 2016 01:51 PM by this user to Customer Service. TICKET ID QGA-381-24575. They should get to answer it within the 24 hour to 48 hour time frame

Hi Jewellery Warehouse, you can also upgrade to an advanced seller by submitting your bank account details upon registration.

Kind regards

Andries

Jewellery Warehouse

Hello MacMuffin and Admin.

Thank you very much for your replies. I am happy with the answers given and will upgrade to advanced seller.

Thank you.

Amukelani Sibuyi