Sign in to follow this  
Cold Sea

Local Collectors Society

Cold Sea

I have been wondering for a long time why it is that there’s no accessible SA numismatic society for ordinary collectors. Surely this is what is needed to support and grow this hobby. There must be a society that can promote, study and publish South African numismatic material. The SAAND’s constitution promotes sponsoring of such societies, and I am sure the SA Mint will be willing to come on board.

Hats off to the contributors here on BOB, which is currently the only place where you can learn something new and keep in touch, but this cannot be an official voice of South African Numismatics.

If I had the numismatic contacts and writing skills to put together a regular electronic newsletter, I would do so. There must be so much numismatic knowledge out there that can be passed on. A true collectors society will benefit all, including the dealers, and be an accurate reflection of our numismatic history and current affairs.

Pierre_Henri

I support you 100% - we need more input and support over a much broader spectrum.

For instance, maybe someone can help me with the following question ...

How many gold VELD PONDE of 1902 were actually minted during the Anglo Boer War?

According to virtually all South African numismatic catalogues (Kaplan, Bickels, Nicholis, van Rensburg, Hern etc.) state that 986 Veld Ponde were struck

According to Dr Rentia Landman-Reid (20-11-2013) http://www.veldpond.co.za/)

"Towards the end of the Anglo Boer War, the Boers experienced a critical shortage of money with which to buy provisions for the Commandos. At Pilgrim's Rest a group of Boers, consisting mainly of pro-Boer foreigners coined, according to the latest information that came available, 650 gold pounds, the so-called Veldpond, in the workshop of the Transvaal Gold Mining Estate (TGME)"

Does anyone have any opinion of this matter was it 650 or 986 ponde that were struck or maybe another number?

Kind regards

Pierre

Rare NotesCoins

Hi. There is a chapter of the Cape Numismatic Society in Cape Town. Its run by Natalie Jaffe. Contact her for details. The National Numismatic Society which is based in Johannesburg have meetings at the S. A. Mint. They are all ready onboard. We are also in the process of having all the lectures and talks we had over the years being typed out to go on to the SA Mints website via a link to the NNS site. This as you can understand takes a long time. ​In Natal you can contact Anthonny Govender and in the Eastern Cape Jaco Krause. These guys would be able to assist you.

Its important that new collectors aswell as a younger generation gets involve and eventually takes over. This is a hard and difficult task to do but it is being done. Natal Chapter with Anthony is the best exsample of this.

What I can suggest is start something small in the Cape Town area with a meeting every month. Give people a change to show and tell at these meetings and maybe have an auction or something that draws people in.

Regards Morne Van Dyk

Rare NotesCoins

Pierre_Henri

When I last gave a talk at the Cape Town Numismatic Society, the meeting was still held at the Jewish Synagogue hall in Sea Point. I think it was about 8 years ago.

Sadly, since then, I have never heard from them again.

I may be wrong, and I really hope that someone can correct me, but for all practical purposes, we do not have an active Western Cape Numismatic Society.

And certainly not in the Northern Suburbs of the Cape metropolitan area - in the Afrikaans speaking areas where I stay, i.e. Durbanville, Bellville, Brackenfell etc. and in the Boland areas of Paarl, Wellington. Stellenbosch, Somerset West, etc - there is nothing that caters for such a great need as an active numismatic fraternity.

I am just too busy to initiate something in this line, but there must surely be some one that is retired in our area that can start us up and can carry our very proud numismatic flag down south?

Kind regards

Pierre

Edited by Pierre_Henri