Sign in to follow this  
retailrush

Possible Lost Parcel

retailrush

Hi all - I would appreciate any feedback you may have... I posted a parcel to a buyer on 11 December 2015 and to date it has not arrived. It was redirected by mistake from the Witspos HUB to the Jhb International Mail Centre and on the 24 December I called Customer Services and was told it was being redirected to Kelvin post office on the 24 December. There has been no change - the online tracking still says it's at the Jhb Int. Mail Centre and Kelvin post office do not have the parcel. I have completed a Lost Parcel form at the post office I posted it from and now just have to wait to see if they can locate the parcel. My question is: if the parcel cannot be found what do I do - am I expected to refund the Buyer for the item, (R750.00)? The Buyer did not request insurance on the parcel. What have other Sellers done in this predicament? Thanks...

mrmouse

unfortunately if the customer goes to the CPA and they assist , its a problem , the CPA states it is the sellers responsibility to ensure the customer gets the parcel , irrespective of whatever...ask the buyer for a bit more time and phone the final post office and ask them to check ,its very unusual .online tracking is very erratic for the accurate tracing of parcels .

Edited by mrmouse

voldermort

Hi Wendy - if the seller does not request/take insurance they are assuming full responsibility for the parcel. Even if you have completed a lost parcel form & the item is indeed missing, you will receive nothing at all from the PO due to no insurance taken. I would suggest you explain this to the customer. I have spoken about this before with my PO & they are all in agreement that when no insurance is taken, the onus falls squarely on the buyer (that means that it is also then the buyers duty to be making inquiries re: their parcel)

Free Soul Styles

From past experience, i was told that the simple fact is, you offer post office so you are liable for the parcel till it is safely delivered to the buyer. I had a buyer who received his parcel and then 2 months later claimed that the parcel was empty. He then accused me of sending an empty parcel to him. He rated me negative. I took it up with Bob and was told that the negative rating will not be removed until the buyer was replaced or refunded in full. I fought this tooth and nail. That's when i was told that because i offer that option, with or without insurance, i am liable in full. This is why i do not use post office for local stuff anymore. That's just my own experience, and as far as i know, the parcel is still yours till it is delivered intact and signed for by the buyer. CPA will agree with that.

I've had issues were it shows the parcel is still in 1 location because it was never scanned in or out. Then eventually it does move to the delivery post office and the staff don't bother to scan it in, so it sits there. I've had to ask buyers to physically go to them with ID and tracking number and get the staff to physically look for it. Another parcel i sent overseas in November was only received at the post office in France 2 days ago. They move stunningly slow this time of year.