Sign in to follow this  
jogesel

Gold what's the story!

jogesel

I have a number of gold chains to sell. To check prices I looked at what other sellers are selling gold for. Can someone please explain to me why a 9CT gold chain of 4 grams is selling for R4000 when the price of the actual gold is only about R 800. Or why a 9CT chain of 95g is listed for R 75 000 when the actual gold price is only about R 19 000. Am I confused about the gold price, is there something I am unaware of or is jewellery so intricately made that it justifies a 4 to 5 times value of the gold? Some of the items I have seen are sold second hand so no labour or effort went into producing them by seller. Is R 1000 gold really worth R 5 000? Just wondering.

Miss Jewels

The price of raw gold is R524 per gram today which is normally wholesale price. This does not include any labour or other costs. When calculating, you can add x percentage. Often doubling up to get your selling price. However, the selling price will depend on the sellers' mark up.

windrider

I don't have a problem with mark-up, but I've noticed a lot of sellers on bidorbuy sell for a lot more than even a brick-and-mortar stores. There are plenty of people who will be fooled by sellers who say they're offering a bargain whilst in reality charging more and then adding shipping on top of that.