Sign in to follow this  
KMartin

Radio's ICASA

KMartin

Hi.

I am just wondering... I have bought a few Radios ( 2 Way Walkie Talkie ) There is no visible ICASA sticker on box or device, and have Frequency range: 400-470MHz with 5 W output.

Would i need Licence for these ? No Where in Auctions do it mention this, so i am wondering. http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/209761855/2Pcs_Baofeng_BF_A5_5W_16CH_Walkie_Talkie_UHF_400_470MHz_FM_Ham_Two_way_Radio.html {--- Example of the Radio. There quite a few on BOB. I tested one with about 8km range, They great but don't want to land in poop if they illegal ue to Icasa and permits ect...

Anyone got some info ? I have another 10 of these in the post on the way.

mrmouse

deleted

Edited by mrmouse
Enough info supplied

mrmouse

Deleted

Edited by mrmouse
Enough info supplied

mrmouse

If I was You ,,I would delete this post and go hide under the bed hahaha

KMartin

Thanks for the Update and info.

So it would be safe to say i could send back items i bought on bob and request refund as goods are allowed.

I won't be using them. I have sent BOB team an email regarding this and got a reply they will be contacting sellers who sell them.

Pitty, they quite nice.

mrmouse

They are very nice radios , but unfortunately outside of the average man in the streets spec and whether ICASA would enforce a walkie talkie set remains to be seen ,but rules are rules , Mittal got all there radios confiscated a while back and a huge fine for using unliscenced bandwidth , a good 500mw machine will work just as well , I use ICOM and Bell radios the Icoms reach around 3km on a good day , or paint a picture to my daughters friends house its 4 rows of houses a street another row of houses 100 metres of veld another row of houses over a street then a 4 lane highway another street , another row of houses and destination , sound is crystal clear with both the Bell and Icoms .or from the middle of Manaba beaches houses to Margate city centre is easy for them.car to car around 500 metres , on the farm 5km is sometimes a reality , so dont let figures fool you . any 2 way radio over 500mw must be liscenced and its illegal to hand it over without the buyer being permitted , but very hard to control.ICASA should have all the specs on the website , I may not be 100 percent on all .But then again TV sets get sold daily with no worry about the dreaded TV liscence

Edited by mrmouse

KMartin
This is probably one thats equal to the Zartec and Icoms >>>http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/203179031/Cobra_8km_Range_Two_Way_Radio_Set.html , wow there certainly are a lot of 5w units for sale on BOB , never realised it .

those are nice. At work we have about 40 Radios.. Motorola. No sure what licence they got, they get them programed fom dealer. was looking or something more cost effective for the Resort.

mrmouse

The most cost effective are the Bell South units , but once again anything bigger must be liscenced ,that includes any radio that is not programmed for SA or has an output of higher than 500mw , the free channels are very specific and not allways cluttered , the bell units I think are 16 channel fixed and step the power up depending on the channel IE channel 1-8 is say 200mw and 9 -16 are 500 mw they use 4 AAA batterys rechargeable if needed also any radio lower than 4 volt is fooling itself you need 4.8 to 7.2 volt and at least 1 amp for a decent transmission range .if youre stuck on the 5 watt units like I say the output is not guaranteed and with software you can reprogramm the frequencys and output power to a legal channel and 2 watt I think otherwise look at 3 watt units and hope for the best , if you key the mic and youre next door neighbour drops down dead ,,,,,,,,,,,,,well good luck .Just remember every type of radio tranciever sold in SA must be type approved and be ICASA tested for resale , and also must have an ICASa sticker on the box and the radio .The regulations are quite clear on that.But once again does everybody read the regulations ????

Edited by mrmouse