Sign in to follow this  
Lukeness

Gemstone 101

Cape Traders

Good Day Lukeness

Hope you are well

I was just wondering weather you could help me identify 2 rough gems/stones i found in a tin a bough ages ago

at first when i purchases the tin i did not know there were something inide...when i got home and opened it i found 2 blackish stones wraped in toilet paper...ive had these stones for about 5 years now and have never taken them to be tested or identified...they are both still rough although you can see someone started craftmanship on one of them...

They are dark black in colour>>when exposes to light - they turn rich greenish blue in colour...

The one that crafmanship has been started on is half dark emerald green and blue

The other one is still completely rough and turns olive green yellow when expose to light...

sizes are approx 2cm x 2cm

Hope you can help me.....would really appreciate it

kind regards

Lukeness

It's not really impossible to identify a stone based on this information, or even pictures. But we can certainly narrow down the possibilities. Do you have any pictures of them?

wayjen

Hi all, firstly I am typing on a cell so looking for the answer to my question would take a while so I will rather ask the question and know I will get an answer that is "fresh".

Can a South African go gem hunting and sell the gems to buyers? Is there any laws pertaining to this? Who would be the buyers of raw gemstones/crystals? Do you need paperwork? Can you become a prospector in SA?

GemDeals
Hi all, firstly I am typing on a cell so looking for the answer to my question would take a while so I will rather ask the question and know I will get an answer that is "fresh".

Can a South African go gem hunting and sell the gems to buyers? Is there any laws pertaining to this? Who would be the buyers of raw gemstones/crystals? Do you need paperwork? Can you become a prospector in SA?

I don't quite understand your question... Do you want to mine gemstones in south africa?

Chasehdl

hi Luke could you perhaps list some sellers you have dealt with that are reputable please? Also where can I send a gem for an authenticity test please? It has a GISA certificate but how do I know that the actual gem I have is the same one on the certificate?

Lukeness

Hi Chasehdl,

Please send me a private message with all the details.