Sign in to follow this  
Lukeness

Gemstone 101

Lukeness

Use this thread to ask all gemmology questions.

Gem Shop

Hi thanks for tis opportunity...I have discovered a cake tin full of rough specimens on a sale...Suspect around 1000ct aquamarine rough (nice sea-blue colour) , 200ct garnet, 200ct Transvaal jade etc...But herein lies my problem I suspect... I do not have the knowledge (yet) to say with certainty...Is there anyone I can send samples to or show the samples to make sure...

Thanks

Lukeness

Hi Gem Shop

Do you have or can you take a picture?

You could sent it to me to check for you although you've probably got others closer.

Lukeness

Just some extra info for anyone interested:

Transvall Jade, while opaque and jade-like, is in fact a tyope of garnet. Specifically, Massive Grossular Garnet. Very closey related to tsavorite, which is Green Grossular Garnet.

jlflyer

Hi Lukeness,

It is a joy to read your posts. The information is flowinh! Thank you.

I have been collecting gems for a long time (years of my ~ year existence). I love stones (gems and minerals). Lately I have been spending money on collectable gem stones. In your opinion; (as collectables and not just jewellery gems) which gems should be in my collection?

Thanks for the info…

:D

Lukeness

Hi jlflyer,

What do you currently have in your collection? What sorts of stones interest you? Do you have specific tastes, likes, dislikes?

Let me know and I'll try to answer your questions with that in mind.

:)

Lukeness

Sapphire value

Something I've noticed is some sellers claims that Ceylon (Sri Lanka) sapphires are the most sought after, have the highest value and good examples are highly sought after.

This is simply not true.

The most sought after sapphires come from Kashmir. These are followed by Burm (Mogok) and in third place, Ceylon.

You can almost half the value as location changes from the one to the next. But this rule only applies to top stones. Rubbish is cheap anywhere.

The majority of Ceylon sapphires are Geuda (milky) sapphires that are heated very high to get clarity. These are of a lower value still, athough after heat they look great.

Lukeness

Not wow or anything but something interesting and worth having in your collection for almost nothing:

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/Item.jsp?Trade_TradeId=4167602

In case you're wondering, it's dark blue quartz.

Trade names include Lazurquartz, Lazurquarz, Saphirquarz, Saphyrquarz Sapphire Quartz. Ther colour is from mcroscopic inclusions of fibrous crocidolite or magnesioriebeckite.

jlflyer

Nice, I agree! :wink:

Gem Shop

Does rubies, sapphires from different countries get cut different ways...?

I am sure I read something between you and gemzone when you discussed a ruby and one said it was clear by the cut that it came from a certain place?

If i sound stupid please bear with me...If you dont ask you'll never know...

Lukeness

Certain cuts are more typical in some locations but this alone is not enough. With the extreme market dominance by Thailand most stones are cut there and many others copy them. At a glance, cut and colour can sometimes provide a clue to origin but not a reliable one.

Gem Shop

Is it true that you cannot get rough Tanzanite from Tanzania anymore?

Lukeness

Not yet, but they are pushing for that to become the case. Tanzanian rough carries rish though as no returns are accpeted. No rough gemstones are allowed back into the country.

Gem Shop

I have seen some ebay sites now not selling any tanzanites over one carat to anyone other that america why do you think that might be.

Also I have seen some pre-embargo logos on some american sites that sells rubies and sapphires....What embargo are they talking about?

Lukeness

I think the Tanzanite seller are doing so because of bad payments and shipping problems.

The pre-embargo refers to the trade embargo placed on Mogok (Burma) preventing the export of any gemstones. Gems traded before the embargo started can still be traded legally.

The problem is that the stones still get through to Thailand so the people really affected are the poor of Burma, not the corrupt dictatorship which is it's target.

Gem Shop

I had some of my customers ask me where they can go...in the gauteng area, to have their gems evaluated...who would you reccommend?

Gem Shop

I have an idea for a new threat that lukeness and all our other learned friends can start to educate the uninformed....Take one gemstone a week and open a weeklong discussion on that type of gem...what to look for when buying/selling

Is there any other bobbers that think this could be invaluable? and there are lots of different gems out there. I think it will be very interesting to see what different people has to say

Lukeness
I had some of my customers ask me where they can go...in the gauteng area, to have their gems evaluated...who would you reccommend?

There are many. The Jewellery Council of South Africa is one, EGL is another.

Proper gem reports usually take a while (GIA turnaround time is advertised as 30 days...). So location is not vital. For people willing so send their stones to us, the Gemmological Society can also provide this service. Members also recieve preferencial rates.

I think the thread is a great idea.

Perhaps it would be good for members to propose a list of gemstones they would like featured upfront.

Gem Shop

So this embargo on Magok rubies...is it affecting the world price on magok rubies....I have had a look at some magok rubies and must say that they seem to be very included...there are some VERY nice ones and I do own 2 or 3 VVS stones but the majority seems not much better than fishtank gravel.

LOL.

What in your opinion is the best location for rubies right now...

Gem Shop

Here is my list :P

Rubelite,

Spessartite,

Aquamarines,

Emeralds,

Tourmalines,

Zircons

Tanzanites

Diamonds

Ruby,

Sapphire,

Lukeness

Start the thread!

lol

Gem Shop

Do you have any contact info and or addresses for those ...pm me if you do not want to give it out in open forum

Lukeness

I've started the thread.

Will PM you the info.

Gem Shop

thanks for info....how does one become a member?

Lukeness

I'll PM you the details too.