Sign in to follow this  
Wolfeh

Just curious (@Pierre)

Wolfeh

Hi Pierre

Since I have not done business with you yet, I can't simply email you which would have been my preference.

I edited your photo to point to exactly what I am asking about.

I checked, and the alloy for sovereigns is gold/coppper.

I know sometimes kruggerands have copper spots on them when the metals did not mix properly when melting, and I know one gets silver spots for that reason on gold coins with a gold/silver mix too. This can't be the case here though.

Regards

Pierre_Henri

I see that you have deleted your own question and my answer under the listing of the coin in question.

My answer was that I do not know what you are referring to and that the coin was struck in 22 carat gold with possible copper as the alloy that represents 8.33% of the coin's metal content.

I am not sure why you deleted my answer on BidorBuy - I cannot add anything more.

Kind regards

Pierre

. [TABLE=align: left, border: 0, cellpadding: 5, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]I have no doubt of the authenticity of the coin, given the seller. I am curious though. Can you explain the silver spot below the sword and to the left and below the queens hair? I thought the alloy for sovereigns was similar to krugerrands, ie gold and copper.

UPDATED: 07 Nov 14:22

I will create a quick forum thread to exactly specify my question. Please delete my questions. I do not want such to impinge on your auction. Thank you.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Wolfeh

Hey

I removed the question because as I stated I do not want to to impact on your auction.

I thought if I edited the picture in red, you may see what I am referring too, hence the attached picture.

No big deal. I presume it is simply a trick of light on the image.

The quality of the uploaded picture on the forum is lacking, so here is a better one :

http://postimg.org/image/7g5tm2591/

Pierre_Henri

I really have no idea - what do you think?

Wolfeh

I suspect the mark below the sword is scratch damage to the coin,and the others perhaps a reflection of camera flash then?

As you know there is a world of difference between coins in hand and photos of the coin.

The cynic view would be that this is a gold plated coin and the plating has worn in some spots showing the baser metal below, but as I said before I do not think this is the case as I estimate your reputation as beyond reproach.

Edited by Wolfeh

Pierre_Henri

I have not seen the coin before, so if it is indeed a fake, I always offer a 100% money back guarantee. I can only test its weight, and that was correct - a quarter of a full sovereigns weight. Regarding its gold content, I do not have testing facilities. There is a gold gun that tests gold (RANDCOIN owns one), but it costs R350 000, and it would be not be economically viable for me to buy one. That's why I would rather offer a money back guarantee.

Wolfeh

Some of the recent bullion coin fakes coming out of china are extremely good, matching weight, diameter, width, design and tone. However. They do not and cannot pass the ping test. For bullion coins I prefer flipping them Joker style, and listening. Hehe. It's also way cheaper than a x-ray spectrometer, which is what I think you are referring too. Hope that helps.

Pierre_Henri

Thank you - if flipping them Joker style helps you that is good - I do not know that procedure...

Edited by Pierre_Henri