Sign in to follow this  
Stamp and Coin Dealer

What is happening to our market?

Stamp and Coin Dealer

Can someone please inform me as to what is happening to our stamp market?

I have been in the stamp trade now for over 20 years and over the last few years I have seen a decline in serious collectors.

No one in South Africa (except for maybe 2 or 3 buyers) is prepared to pay market related prices for good items.

I had a selection of items for sale and after two weeks had no luck in selling the items in our market.

I then contacted a well known dealer in the UK and they bought the items from me with a smile.

I frequently bid on auctions in the UK and the market is so strong that I am lucky to get 1 out of 10 items I want.

Sometimes I bid 5 x low estimate and still can not get the item.

I know we all want a bargain but at what cost to our hobby.

The message I get from our market is that no one has any faith in the hobby anymore.

and that is why 99.99% of the better collections get sold overseas and not in South Africa.

Maybe we should market stamps as an Investment opportunity or Rand hedge.

I hope to get some feedback as to what other dealers think.

Regards Morne

republikein

Many of the old timers have passed on, many have emigrated ... and the rest are too busy trying to survive against all odds.

mrmouse

To me a stamp has no value , I would rather spend R2000 on parts and turn that money over into R10000 in less than a week ,than buy stamps and hope for a good return.