Sign in to follow this  
Allstar

Why does Bidorbuy allow 2hnd listings with zero description of the items condition?

Allstar

I've confirmed this with community watch, the only description that a seller is obliged to specify in terms of the condition is whether it is new or second hand.

They said I must ask the seller but sometimes there's no time to ask or the seller doesn't answer the question, also needing to ask for something that needs to be specified up front makes no sense, it should be in the listing.

Its leaving things open for abuse by sellers, if there's no other description of the condition other than its 2hnd then the seller can literally send you anything and as long as its functional what can you say?

Ebay forces all sellers to specify and specifically describe the condition of all secondhand items, purely so sellers need to send the buyer what was listed and as described.

I've noticed there are more than a few sellers that operate like this especially on the Crazy Auctions, selling high end goods, often worth well over R10k and the items description will be 2 words - Laptop & Charger or 3 Words Camera, Lens & Charger.

Considering the amount of wear & tear an item has, whether the included accessories are original etc is extremely important if an item is used.

I would think that's a common sense fundamental requirement for listings of used goods to have to include an accurate description of the condition.

admin

Hi Allstar,

The item on sale has to be described to the best of the sellers knowledge, including any defects.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/help/444/Listing_Policy

1.1. Misrepresentation of items including:

1.1.1 Creating titles and descriptions that do not accurately describe the item for sale.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/help/441/Terms_Conditions_of_This_Site

4.6 In addition to Clause 4.4 and and Clause 4.5, you represent and warrant to us and separately to the successful Buyer that:

4.6.1 the goods and services you offer for sale and sell, on this Site:

4.6.1.1 are reasonably fit for the purpose or purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly bought as it is reasonable to expect having regard to matters including, without limitation, the description of those goods and their price; and

4.6.1.2 correspond with the description that you have posted on this Site; and

4.6.1.3 if sold in bulk, will correspond with any samples; and

4.6.1.4 are not defective; and

4.6.1.5 are free of any charge or encumbrance such that the Buyer will be able to enjoy quiet possession of those goods;

Kind regards

Andries

Allstar

Thanks for the reply Andries.

Is no description whatsoever of a used items condition other than listing it as "Secondhand" considered acceptable by Bidorbuy?

Free Soul Styles

I don't agree with sellers who don't list clearly or at all. I've said this before, my idea of a second hand phone (for example) is different to the next person. To me it's a clear screen, working condition but a few scratches. To others it's a damaged screen, severe dents etc... I think BoB should be stricter in terms of descriptions. Some sellers don't bother stating if there are nicks on ceramics. They say "slightly used" but it's falling apart.

Allstar
Hi Allstar,

The item on sale has to be described to the best of the sellers knowledge, including any defects.

Kind regards

Andries

Admin could you please address this question:

Is no description whatsoever of a used items condition other than listing it as "Secondhand" considered acceptable by Bidorbuy?

Allstar

Admin, this situation has still not been addressed, some of the major players on the R1 crazy auctions abuse this loophole week in week out?