Sign in to follow this  
Arkwright

Information wanted on old computer.

Arkwright

I recently received some old computer hardware, and amongst all of it was this small unusual computer known as the Tiny 620, made in 1990. It is in full working condition, and has its own keyboard and a screen which uses the communications cable for the picture. The screen can only show orange and black. If anybody can provide more information on this computer, I would really appreciate it. Here are some pictures:

mrmouse

the tiny 620 ran on early dos probably 3.1 which preceeded the spectravideo machines it was made in early 1980 and died in early 1980 , probably had about 16 meg of ram and no harddrive facility .we used one to program PLC machines and tranfer program onto a tape deck .. cassette and then transferred onto machine , HaHa a funky doorstopper ,

Arkwright

Good evening

Thank you very much for the interesting information. By the way, I also received the original boot stiffy disk and utilities stiffy disk which are also still working. I tested them in another computer as the two stiffy drives in the Tiny 620 do not seem to be reading, although I can hear noises and the lights come on when they work. Could there be a problem somewhere as the computer was in storage for a long time?

Kind regards

mrmouse

See if you can find a copy of Dr dos it may work, will probably take about 5 discs, svi made a cassette deck to store programs on for these early machines, and games,it all depends on what processor is in the machine, I dought it's a *86 so not much will work except haphazard copies of dos 2.0 or 2.1 or 3.1, useless if you don't know dos commands

Edited by mrmouse

Arkwright

Thank you for your response. If I can find Dr dos, which version should I download if there is more than one?

mrmouse

there were lots of different dos versions , ms dos also springs to mind , dr dos was a sidelined version of dos 6.0-.1 , if the processor is a x 86 it will run it if not dos 3.2 should work , will be about a whole 6 meg download , should take about 3 seconds on dialup .the orange and black screen was a 16 bit colour screen , massive for the day .ive still got a whole shoebox full of floppys for my first SVI 808 machine , loungesuite larry was massive on dos as a game .in the middle 80`s

Arkwright

Good evening

Thanks for responding. I tried Dr dos, but the drive still does not read the disk. Perhaps it has a problem. Is it still possible to repair a stiffy drive?

mrmouse

nope unfortunately not

Arkwright

Good morning

That's a pity. Anyway, thank you very much for all the interesting information, suggestions and help. I really appreciate it.

Kind regards