Sign in to follow this  
Seeds and All

8000 character limit

Seeds and All

I am trying to edit the quantity available in the listing below. The system is returning the following message.

The Item can not be saved because it has an error

• Due to HTML corrections, the description is beyond the 8000 character limit

Seeds - Euphorbia ingens - 10 Seed Pack - Indigenous Medicinal Succulent Tree - Combined Shipping - NEW for sale in Port Elizabeth (ID:187220784)

I have copied my HTML code into MS Word and did a word count. The total characters, including spaces is 7858.

This is an open listing. If there was an issue with the amount of characters the system would not have allowed me to save it in the first place.

This is happening with many of our listings, even when editing the amount of relists remaining. If we use the pick list to relist auctions and buy now listings we do not get this error. This only happens when we edit the listings individually.

Please assist as I need to urgently edit my stock level.

admin

Hi Seeds and All,

How many do you want to make the stock level, maybe I can get it done on the admin side while we wait for the clever guys to have a look.

Andries

Seeds and All

Ah Andries. Great to see you are still up. I just need to drop it from 5 to 4.

Unfortunately there are many more I wanted to edit tonight as we are busy with stock rotation but will greatly appreciate your help with this one.

admin

Done, it worked on my side. Send me the others. I might get to a couple more, in- between my work.

Seeds and All

Thanks Andries for your generous offer and for fixing this one for me. I think I will wait for the tech guys to fix it as I have about another 400 listings to do in the next week or so.

JacoJ

This is a common occurrence with Microsoft Word as it inserts all sorts of rubbish HTML characters that you can only see in the HTML editor. We suggest to use something like: TextEdit, TextWrangler, notepad or some similar text editor and not Microsoft Word,

Seeds and All

Hi Jaco,

Thank you. I am aware of this issue and do not use MS Word to create my listings or text. I only used MS Word to do a character count.

This is an open listing. If there was an issue with the amount of characters the system would not have allowed me to save it in the first place.

This is happening with many of our listings, even when editing the amount of relists remaining. If we use the pick list to relist auctions and buy now listings we do not get this error. This only happens when we edit the listings individually.

JacoJ

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I will get our Tech guys to have a look at it and see how quickly we can resolve this.

MacMuffin

This is an issue specific to Firefox as the browser seems to introduce extra whitespace into the HTML editor. We tested this with Chrome and had no problem updating the listing.

Remember, that depending on the browser being used, the HTML editor can add extra elements to the HTML once the listing is submitted. This is unfortunately not within our control and not something we can fix.