Sign in to follow this  
look smart

how is it determined when something is antique or not?

look smart    10
look smart

I am a real dummy when it comes to antiques. How does one determine when a item is antique or not? Does it depend on the item and the year itself or is all items from a certain date known to be antique?

for example, everything from the 1940's, like clothing and furniture and ect.

or does it depend on the item, itself?

The reason I am asking I recently inherited a oldish 2 twin bedroom suite with 2 bedside units and a dressing table, aswell as the headboards and footboards, and a pedastool, this set is in a very very good condition, the one mirror on the dressing table is broken and the pedastool needs to be upholstered, but the wood is in a excilent condition

It has the old double spring base, witch I was told was very custom many many years ago, I was told the aunty had it valued 5 years ago, but she had it valued with two wardropes and all together it was over R20 000, I was not given the wardropes and I recently heard it was given to someone els in the family, I was also told that this is a rose wood what ever type of wood that is, and that the aunty bought this more then 40 years ago, whether she bought it new or from someone els is unclear,

My biggest problem with all this is everything is on hear say, as I was not around when this furniture was made or brought, I do know that the person who gave me more info about this set is a very reliable source of the family, and most of the other family members that knew about this set, is not around anymore,

So how do I find out what is the value of this set? and would Bob be a good place to sell such a item, I am hardly the sentimental type, and I rather sell it to someone that would appriciate it more and look after it. But surely I cant sell such a elegant piece of furniture on hear say, I would hate to put a estimate value on this item. Only to be told that I sold it based on a lie.

mellowred    10
mellowred

The double spring base indicates that it is more than 40 years old.

Best is to do a Google search. I research a lot of the old stuff I get in via the net. Just keep searching within results and you may find a set similar to yours.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

When I'm not sure if something is truly "antique", I list it as "vintage". Hope this helps you.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet
I am a real dummy when it comes to antiques. How does one determine when a item is antique or not? Does it depend on the item and the year itself or is all items from a certain date known to be antique?

for example, everything from the 1940's, like clothing and furniture and ect.

or does it depend on the item, itself?

The reason I am asking I recently inherited a oldish 2 twin bedroom suite with 2 bedside units and a dressing table, aswell as the headboards and footboards, and a pedastool, this set is in a very very good condition, the one mirror on the dressing table is broken and the pedastool needs to be upholstered, but the wood is in a excilent condition

It has the old double spring base, witch I was told was very custom many many years ago, I was told the aunty had it valued 5 years ago, but she had it valued with two wardropes and all together it was over R20 000, I was not given the wardropes and I recently heard it was given to someone els in the family, I was also told that this is a rose wood what ever type of wood that is, and that the aunty bought this more then 40 years ago, whether she bought it new or from someone els is unclear,

My biggest problem with all this is everything is on hear say, as I was not around when this furniture was made or brought, I do know that the person who gave me more info about this set is a very reliable source of the family, and most of the other family members that knew about this set, is not around anymore,

So how do I find out what is the value of this set? and would Bob be a good place to sell such a item, I am hardly the sentimental type, and I rather sell it to someone that would appriciate it more and look after it. But surely I cant sell such a elegant piece of furniture on hear say, I would hate to put a estimate value on this item. Only to be told that I sold it based on a lie.

Antique is a word used for something that is 100 years older or more--strictly speaking. Otherwise it is best to refer to it as vintage.

The internet is a great tool for research to see similar items.

Whitewolf    10
Whitewolf

The definition of antique varies from source,product, and year. Item which is at least 50 to 100 years old and is collected or desirable due to rarity, condition, utility, or some other unique feature is the best way to conclude if an item is antique or not.

look smart    10
look smart

Is there any forum members that do know anything about the value of the set I have mentioned above? I am prepared to send photos of the set, I will be moving soon and would like to sell this set before I move so that I dont have the trouble moving with this set to a place I dont have place for it

WRANGLER_4X4    10
WRANGLER_4X4

The term Vintage is referred to when talking about cars and wines not other items