Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

Stickies in coin forum

Pierre_Henri
Pierre,

I wasn't offended by your post and I didn't mean to be harsh. I tend to write in a tone which sounds harsh but I promise I am actually not like this at all in person. And I also apologize if I am repetitive with the points in my posts. I will attempt to keep it in mind in the future.

But surely you must see the point I made in my last post. For anyone who really wants to pay any price for any coin, I say go ahead and do it. It is their money and as long as they do it with full knowledge, I don't see any problem with it.

However, I absolutely do not believe that most of the buyers of the more expensive coins do so for collecting purposes, certainly not from the historical posts on this forum. There isn't much activity here but in the past, the comments I read indicate to me that collectors in your country don't really understand why the South African pricing structure is "out of whack" and isn't normal at all. However, since "groupthink" is a very common human trait, most just "go with the flow" without questioning it.

The price structure in your market isn't normal at all. The United States isn't normal either but it is actually a lot more normal than yours, despite the much higher price level. It is actually all other markets where TPG is not preferred that are normal, except as they have been distorted by US buyers and US practices.

Additionally, if I see comments which attempt to provide unsubstantiated evidence to support the financial aspects of collecting, I am going to point it out because people need to have an unbiased view which I don't think exists here at all. I wasn't trying to pick on Geejay though it might seem I do it a lot, but this is only because the two of you are about the only ones aside from me who still post here with any regularity.

This is why I wrote my commentary on collecting by foreigners. The first topic explaining why they do not and aren't going to collect ZAR like all of you do at the same prices. And the second, to show that there isn't anything unsual about it at all. I believe these two topics provide a far more balanced view than any claim implying foreigners are interested in buying the more expensive South African coins at anything other than massive discounts to your local prices..

On your last post, I also find Geejay's comments misleading, though he might not have intended it. It implies that the trend at the time was somehow indicative of the future. I don't know if he meant that or believed it and he can answer for himself. But I definitely believe many others on this forum and maybe in your country did generically just because many of the coins are unsually scarce or rare versus others. There wasn't any reason to believe it then and I cannot think of a single reason to believe it now or in the future either. These coins (highest priced ZAR and Union) were and are among the most expensive and in my opinion, relatively overpriced coins in the world. I thought this then (in 2010 when those auctions took place) and I still think the same now, though the value proposition has improved somewhat.

I am totally lost on this forum - All I see is sticky posts - how do one see the non-sticky posts?

Why don't BoB just delete 90% of the stikeys so that we can carry on with subjects like this one?

Pierre

admin
I am totally lost on this forum - All I see is sticky posts - how do one see the non-sticky posts?

Why don't BoB just delete 90% of the stikeys so that we can carry on with subjects like this one?

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

They are looking into the "sticky only" issue. I will ask the coin forum users which stickies must go as soon as the upgrade is done.

admin

Hi Pierre,

I have found the problem with the display of only stickies and fixed a couple of forums. Will do the rest as I have time.

Kind regards

Andries

Pierre_Henri

Chuck out the Useless Stickies

Hi Pierre,

I have found the problem with the display of only stickies and fixed a couple of forums. Will do the rest as I have time.

Kind regards

Andries

Andries

The majority of the stickies have been clogging up this forum for half a decade - why don't you just delete those that have not been commented on for the last 3 months or so?

Really, everyone just hates those useless stickies sitting there year after year after year gathering dust with no comments and no one interested in them at all.

Why is it so difficult to just to delete them - really, most of us just can't stand them anymore after so many years sitting there without any interest?

Pierre

admin

Hi Pierre,

The stickies are still read by many people on a monthly basis even though they do not reply to them. Please post the title of the stickies you do not want removed (the list will be shorter) and if no one makes an objection by Thursday the 9th, as it is long weekend, I will remove those not on your list.

Pierre_Henri
Hi Pierre,

The stickies are still read by many people on a monthly basis even though they do not reply to them. Please post the title of the stickies you do not want removed (the list will be shorter) and if no one makes an objection by Thursday the 9th, as it is long weekend, I will remove those not on your list.

I am sorry I missed this post

Please remove all the stickies except Scarce Coin Watch

I think everyone should have a least a week to point out others they want to keep

Kind regards

Pierre

admin

Hi Pierre,

Thank you, no response other than yours and I will remove the stickies on Wednesday 15th of April.

Groetnis van huis tot huis

Andries

admin

Hi All,

The stickies were removed, accept for those that was requested by various users to be kept.

Kind regards

Andries

Pierre_Henri
Hi All,

The stickies were removed, accept for those that was requested by various users to be kept.

Kind regards

Andries

Hallelujah

You are a star Andries

admin

Oops *except* I need some rest....:sowsuser: