Sign in to follow this  
republikein

Ngc grading for rsa collectors.

republikein

Good day all,

I want to have a few coins graded by NGC. Is it still financially viable for a collector and non-dealer in South-Africa to do this? Who in the RSA delivers this service and at what price per coin? How safe is it, taking into account all the problems at customs, etc.?

Thank you.

jwither

It depends what RSA coins you own. Because the value is mostly grade dependent, you will need to make your own assessment of the grades you think they might receive and using prior sales records (if any), determine whether to submit. For most RSA, I would say the answer is it isn't.

geejay50

Hi Republikein,

I have been doing grading at NGC and to a lesser extent PCGS for the past 10 years for SA collectors as well as coins from my own collection. Whether it is worth it or not depends as the above poster has indicated simply on what the coin is worth in an NGC capsule as opposed to raw. I would not risk modern Mandela coins but if you are lucky enough to have older really scarce coins that you havent paid too much for raw, by all means send them across. The customs problems that you mention are not my experience and I have not lost a coin in customs yet out of several thousand sent.

I have noticed however that over the years , the better coins have becoming extremely hard to find in raw form as third party grading puts them in slabs as one can predict in such a finite resource.

My view

Geejay