Sign in to follow this  
jcriller

1923 sovreign pf 65

jcriller

Congratulations on the sale last night of the 1923 pf65 gold sovreign, great price realized with current market situation and what a great coin.

Pierre_Henri

Tough times for sure

Congratulations on the sale last night of the 1923 pf65 gold sovreign, great price realized with current market situation and what a great coin.

Gold Pound - 1923 SA Union Gold Sovereign NGC Proof 65 | HIGH GRADE | Mintage: 655 Only | RARE | was sold for R21,600.00 on 25 Jan at 21:17 by EWAAN Galleries in Johannesburg (ID:172023414)

The coin sold for R21 600

A MS64 sold or R45 000 on BidorBuy 4 years ago

So tough times for sure but a buyers market if there ever was one...

Pierre

jwither

I don't know how many of the 655 still exist, assuming this is the actual mintage. My assumption is most of them. This coin is the only KGV proof sovereign in the series from any mint. It is also much cheaper than the 1937 UK gold proofs (the only KGVI gold proofs outside of SA) but I still don't think it is particularly cheap at this price. I still wouldn't be interested in buying it except at much lower prices because there are so many better coins that sell for the same or less, including within Union.

geejay50

I bought a Proof 65 PCGS Sovereign in 2009 which after a bargaining spat came to in Rands R29,408 from a seller in the USA. The price fetched of R21 600 certainly IS a big bargain for the buyer.

One must just accept what the market will pay. Sorry for the seller and 'plenty of meat on that coin' for the buyer should he ever sell !!

The pop 1 on both NGC and PCGS stands at 66 but one never sees that grade for public sale.

Geejay

Pierre_Henri
This coin is the only KGV proof sovereign in the series from any mint.

No, the Great Britain 1911 issue was also struck in proof condition.

jwither
No, the Great Britain 1911 issue was also struck in proof condition.

Correct and I also consider that coin overpriced.

Pierre_Henri
Correct and I also consider that coin overpriced.

What is its price at the moment?

jwither
What is its price at the moment?

Last sale on Heritage was about $1400 USD. Much less than I thought but still hardly cheap for a coin with mintage of over 3700 with most likely still around. I can think of many coins better than both for this money.