Sign in to follow this  
bidvest2009

Specimen R1 note?

bidvest2009

Can anyone help me with this R1 note? Is this a specimen? Value?

Pierre_Henri
Can anyone help me with this R1 note? Is this a specimen? Value?

Is there a watermark?

bidvest2009

Yes, a portrait of Jan van Rebeeck as well as a what looks like grapes.

Pierre_Henri
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5319[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5320[/ATTACH]

Truly an exceptional note.

Maybe you should contact the SA Banknote society who should be able to give some input.

You can also contact Andre du Toit at bluebull.andre@gmail.com

Rare NotesCoins
Truly an exceptional note.

Maybe you should contact the SA Banknote society who should be able to give some input.

You can also contact Andre du Toit at bluebull.andre@gmail.com

Hi Pierre.

Andre is so twee jaar terug oorlede

Groete Morne

Pierre_Henri
Hi Pierre.

Andre is so twee jaar terug oorlede

Groete Morne

Jammer om dit te hoor - ek het hom nie geken nie, maar die volgende op die internet gekry

Members sought for new South African banknote collectors' society

Jun 08, 2011 09:57 AM Category: Africa

I have recently been contacted by Andre du Toit, who is trying to form a new society of collectors of South African banknotes. Please read the following and write directly to Andre if you are intersted in joining.—OWL

Dear fellow banknote collectors,

For those who don’t know me please let me introduce myself.

My name is Andre du Toit. I live in South Africa very close to the Oliver Tambo (Johannesburg) airport.

I was a member of the South African Banknote Society (now defunct) where I also served as the Secretary.

I am also the Regional Director of the International Bank Note Society (IBNS) for Region 5, which includes other African countries.

The reason for this writing is to start a new Banknote Society which will be called THE SOUTHERN AFRICAN BANKNOTE SOCIETY. The exact demographics will be determined by the members at a later stage.

There is currently no official collectors forum for banknotes in South Africa that I am aware of.

My idea is to run this society as the IBNS does: totally electronically. All communications, voting, etc. will be done via the Internet.

For those of you who are not familiar with the IBNS, please visit www.theIBNS.org and see what it is all about.

At this stage, membership will be free, but we may have to charge a small fee at a later stage to cover the website. I am currently negotiating with the IBNS to make use of a website similar to theirs.

Furthermore I will try to get sponsors to finance the website.

All I need from you at this stage is to let me know whether you would like to become a member of the new Society. Thereafter I will send you application forms.

The current interest is 76 people.

If I have failed to contact anyone that you know that may be interested in joining please, forward this letter to them as well.

The main objectives of this Society will be:

• To foster and maintain the art of banknote collecting;
  • To assist and keep each other informed about new issues and older ones;
  • To get a swop or want list going;
  • To become a chapter in the IBNS and participate in their programmes

This list will be much longer than above as we go along.

This Society will be properly constitutionalised with a management team which will be elected by the members.

Just to get the ball rolling I have appointed myself as the Secretary. This can be changed at a later stage when a committee is elected.

Please let me know about your decision at your earliest convenience.

Thank you

Andre du Toit

craigeustace

Andre Du Toit passed away 3 years ago.

The SA Banknote society has been dead and dusted for about 5 years.

As per the note. It is a printers proof. It is a known variety. With all these types of printers archival varieties it is hard to say how many have survived or how many have been printed.

It is commonly accepted that the grape watermarked one Rand is rare. I can not vouch how rare due to my aforementioned comment.

In terms of value....it is one of those things that is probably worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. SA numismatics have proven recently, both for banknotes and coins, how undesirable they are abroad. The local market is inflated due to high catalog values and speculators. If I had a gun against my head I would say between R5000-R15000.