Sign in to follow this  
Blazing Ice

Unlimited listings ???

Blazing Ice    10
Blazing Ice

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and I would like to know if that perhaps we should have a limit on the number of listings we put up so that we give other sellers a chance to gain sales as well.

The "Diamonds" category was just filled up with over 9000 listings from a single seller in the regular listings and although I don't post regular listings as I pay for the enhancements I think that it's unfair to other sellers who list under 10 items in regular listings to get their listings swallowed up and hidden amongst 9000 listings.

As sellers we do want to offer buyers good deals but we should also exercise some respect of other sellers too.

I enjoy going through listings to see what I may want to also buy from other sellers but when there's 9000 listings to go through then I just give up looking and this could also be the case with other buyers.

Your thoughts would be appreciated :)

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

There is a book seller with over 70 000 listings, I gave up selling books as you can't compete against that.

Blazing Ice    10
Blazing Ice
There is a book seller with over 70 000 listings, I gave up selling books as you can't compete against that.

I wouldn't give up selling diamonds as I offer them at dealer pricing and my prices are in fact lower than the 9000 listings but using the auto-feed for listings from a database ends up classifying all the items as unspecified in terms of specific details that a buyer could use in the filters to search through all the listings. This means that a buyer has to now sift through all 9000 listings!

Either way, I wish all sellers all the best in sales but I really do think that we should have a limit imposed on auto-feed listings.

voldermort    10
voldermort

Mmmm I thought the same when this happened but I have realised that a lot of buyers, seeing pages & pages & pages of the same stuff from the same seller tend to type in the book title/authors name etc instead of wading aimlessly through this sellers offerings (and there are another 2 sellers of the same calibre bringing their million odd books to the table as well) - also every now & again putting a book in priority listing helps as well.

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug

If I am searching I usually exclude those sellers to avoid having to wade through all their listings, unless I have a specific title in mind.

JacoJ    10
JacoJ

It is not always viable to restrict the number of listings that a seller may list. We did introduce a new way of randomising the listings of sellers so that they do not flood an entire category but rather allow for interleaving items from other sellers. This is done based on the level of enhancements applied to items which means that items of similar enhanced status will be randomised and not driven by close time anymore. This precludes Crazy Wednesday, Snap Friday and Weekend specials as close time still plays a roll in how items are ranked within an enhanced category.

There might however be edge cases where the sheer volume of items listed by a seller in a lesser contested category might still appear as if they own an entire page of listings but should be significantly less than before. At least sellers can't game the system anymore by applying short duration listings which closes within minutes of each other. We are constantly checking the impact of these changes and will make improvements to the algorithm if needed to ensure fair exposure to everyone.

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus

9000 Diamond listings? Is he/she drop shipping. I cannot imagine a seller on BOB with 9000 diamonds.....and yes very unfair to flood the category

Blazing Ice    10
Blazing Ice
9000 Diamond listings? Is he/she drop shipping. I cannot imagine a seller on BOB with 9000 diamonds.....and yes very unfair to flood the category

Well it's not 9000 anymore as it's increased to over 14 000 diamonds in the regular listings. I don't have an issue with dropshipping as some diamonds are too capital intensive to hold in stock locally.

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus
Well it's not 9000 anymore as it's increased to over 14 000 diamonds in the regular listings. I don't have an issue with dropshipping as some diamonds are too capital intensive to hold in stock locally.

True, but seller needs approval from bidorbuy to drop ship. And bidorbuy does not approve new drop shippers as far as I know...Or maybe BoB just approves whoever they feel like....I see lots of "New" sellers drop shipping. Over that fight.

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus

Found the seller who floods the diamond category....sjoe......15000 in diamond listings, there goes the rest of us. BoB should limit sellers listings in valuable item categories....500 each? Crazy really

Blazing Ice    10
Blazing Ice
Found the seller who floods the diamond category....sjoe......15000 in diamond listings, there goes the rest of us. BoB should limit sellers listings in valuable item categories....500 each? Crazy really

500 would still be way too many. I'd say a fair number would be 50 to 100 free listings to prevent abuse :smile1: