Sign in to follow this  
KahlilG

Possible grade of 1924 6p coin

KahlilG

Same story, don't want to send coins that stand a chance of grading AU, or details.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5296[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5297[/ATTACH]

Please comment on estimated garding.

BUCKS_N_GEMS

ok regarding the coin - clearly u can see the wear

the dirt on the "bead/pearls" and "georgivs" the " 6" and the flowers on reverse

and the " 2 " from 1924 is worn and the "9"

the " z " as well is worn from zuid

the pearls look great - being the second highest point !

i would say also the flower over the sou of south africa

my opinion ms61 max

EWAAN Galleries
ok regarding the coin - clearly u can see the wear

the dirt on the "bead/pearls" and "georgivs" the " 6" and the flowers on reverse

and the " 2 " from 1924 is worn and the "9"

the " z " as well is worn from zuid

the pearls look great - being the second highest point !

i would say also the flower over the sou of south africa

my opinion ms61 max

How UNC (MS61) if coin has wear?

jwither

The generic answer to your question is market grading. The MS-61 coins I have seen tend to have a lot of "hits" and contact marks but since many MS-61 are actually inferior to an AU-58, there isn't anything unsual about an MS-61 having a light rub or something like it. As I have mentioned before, I don't normally care for this grade at all and don't buy it unless the coin is actually at least somewhat scarce.

I own three MS-61 at this time, two 1936 2/- and one 1936 1/-. The first 2/- is shaply struck and toned but the contact marks are well hidden. I consider it attractive. The second coin is semi-PL and very sharp but will numerous "cuts" in the obverse field. I am not sure most collectors would like it. The 1/- is a very attractive PL on the obverse (but not reverse hense not designated on the holder) but it has a light scratch across the obverse field on one side which is easily noticeable under magnification. Overall though, it is a nice coin. Money wise, I am "underwater" on all three since I bought them (ungraded) years ago.

I am not interested in owning any MS-61 for QEII and only maybe for key dates for KGVI. I consider this grade inferior on these two designs and the coins are disproportionately "dead money".

BUCKS_N_GEMS

ewaan - as u should know - "mint state" is from ms60 to ms70

unc is generally ms63 to ms65 - then u get brilliant unc - ms66 to ms70

u cannot call a ms61 unc - if u must say unc then say "low unc" or the better/correct word to use would be "mint state"

now - tell me where do u read " ms61 is unc" ???

a min state coin can have wear (ms60 - ms63) then u get no wear which is "unc" ms64 and higher

so yes a ms61 has lots of wear and is clearly used - but u cant call a ms61 unc - unc meaning "not circulated or not used"