Sign in to follow this  
Boschberg

sellers charging double on postage

Boschberg    10
Boschberg

the range of postage charges by sellers is rather perplexing if it is considered that it all refers largely to the same postal service with standard rates all over the country.

Edited by Boschberg

kebs    10
kebs

Hi there.. You can report sellers to bidorbuy for excessive postage costs if you feel the postage is too high. On the item page, use the "report a problem" link to let admin know. Also remember though, the postage costs include postage materials as well. But for a small parcel / envelope, R55 is a bit much - my humble opinion..

Free Soul Styles    10
Free Soul Styles

Please also remember, the envelope/box, masking tape, bubble wrap etc is not free to sellers. We have to buy this stuff in bulk at times and it is costly at the end of the day. Some sellers charge for petrol as well. Some sellers do have additional cost per item after in order to provide one larger parcel (weight could be higher than the X amount charged), especially the much larger sellers. I can understand that.

That being said, with smaller sellers, charges like R60.00 for a small parcel and then an additional charge of R30.00 per item is ridiculous (in my personal opinion). It is a bit of a problem with some buyers. With courier also. Who charges R195.00 for courier when i get charged half that to send to the same place?! Same courier as well?!

But as a buyer, you should always look at the shipping table and the listing to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

At the end of the day, you can still inform BoB and let them decide if it's acceptable or not.

anthony03    10
anthony03

Removed comment and reported shipping to admin.

Edited by anthony03

acooki    10
acooki

misappropriating the shipping charges

some of the sellers are so arrogant when asked about their excessive shipping charge that they don't acknowledge the question....or refer you to other sellers who are charging the same or telling you not to bid...The crux of the matter the seller is not supposed to profiteer on the shipping charges of a sale ...he cannot as back up make provision for a poor/low bidding and recover some losses....its the risk that he/she undertakes..There are far to many sellers offering items at ridiculously low prices and then you get stung with an excessive postage fee ...Understandably some courier coverage is expensive especially in far way out places but that was the sellers choice when he set up shop and its the buyers prerogative to partake ..no fair when a seller states eg Bloemfontein (which is on the main run) but fails to declare he is on a farm 80 km away hence the hi charge.. It should be declared up front so that the buyer is aware and can take an informed decision.. The other problem area is where multiple similar size items eg coins are bought and now the seller suddenly charges say R20 more per item to put it in the same, still below weight parcel. Here the seller is definitely capitalising profiteering from a scam...You report this to Bob and you get a lame excuse back ""the seller has been advised" what has the seller been advised of? what action was taken to stop a recurrence?? I have reported a Lenasia seller charging R200 postage ordinary to JHB only to see that after he was addressed by BOB, he now charges R150 for the courier (normal R55-R75) and dropped the mailing system...Bob is not doing enough to protect the buyer and by turning a blind eye it will get progressively worse....The last point is the charging of insurance? who is bluffing who? who is insuring the value? The SA postal system does not allow ,in fact prohibits the shipping of coins perfumes, jewellery, ammo etc etc through the post so how can it be insured???

reeceonlinetrading    10
reeceonlinetrading

Acooki you do have some valid points, some sellers do cover up their losses from the postage or courier i have seen cheap prices but the courier/postage is way excessive, makes buyers run of to the shops thus leaving the honest sellers on BOB high and dry