Sign in to follow this  
krugeri

Unreasonable shipping costs

krugeri

I would like to raise the matter of shipping costs, especially now that the Post Office strike is on.

I have read through many Q&A's written from buyers who, once they've won the bid, realise that the shipping is extremely high. Quotes on courier shipping is given as an amount for first item, and then more per item. Where I've read the answers the sellers were very adamant to say they don't cancel bids.

I understand that we need to read shipping regulations - and I do. However, I have recently bought 10 strings of 3m fairy lights. At R1 per string it is an absolute bargain, but the shipping is now R485!! I have sent a mail to the seller to request PostNet, which would definitely be significantly cheaper. I have not had a response but in his/her responses to previous buyers the reply was that they don't cancel, the buyer should have read and otherwise a SNC will be raised against the buyer.

Could we find a solution for this until the Post Office is working and have caught up on their backlogs??

Vinyl Lady Decals

Yup I agree, this is highly unreasonable.

The seller should come to an agreement with the buyer is this regard.

I did that for a buyer that bought more than 30 items for courier and the shipping fees would have been a whole lot higher as calculated by the system. I logged onto my courier website and gave the buyer the correct courier fee.

In regards to sellers refusing to cancel bids, this is illegal, sellers have to cancel bids if requested to do so before an auction ends.

If it is a buy now, a buyer has the right to cancel a sale if they change their minds. This is according to the CPA.

Although a sale has to be cancelled via an SNC (Sale Not Concluded), in order for the seller to get their fees back, in the case where a buyer has changed their mind and cancelled a buy now, I do not give negative ratings for this as it is their right, even though the SNC has to go through.

qball
I would like to raise the matter of shipping costs, especially now that the Post Office strike is on.

I have read through many Q&A's written from buyers who, once they've won the bid, realise that the shipping is extremely high. Quotes on courier shipping is given as an amount for first item, and then more per item. Where I've read the answers the sellers were very adamant to say they don't cancel bids.

I understand that we need to read shipping regulations - and I do. However, I have recently bought 10 strings of 3m fairy lights. At R1 per string it is an absolute bargain, but the shipping is now R485!! I have sent a mail to the seller to request PostNet, which would definitely be significantly cheaper. I have not had a response but in his/her responses to previous buyers the reply was that they don't cancel, the buyer should have read and otherwise a SNC will be raised against the buyer.

Could we find a solution for this until the Post Office is working and have caught up on their backlogs??

Thanks, we will investigate the seller's shipping charges as this does appear to be excessive.

krym

More of the same

I just learnt that the "counter to counter" option offered by one seller is not the overnight counter to counter service offered by others, but is, in fact, the slow snail mail option. One ends up paying the Speed Services rate for snail mail; in my instance, for one unframed picture, R162.50 (including some R38 for insurance). And this is a verified buyer ...