Sign in to follow this  
Arkwright

Information wanted for antique cassette recorder connections.

Arkwright    10
Arkwright

I recently purchased a second-hand Philips EL-3300 cassette recorder in excellent working condition. It came with the original case and the original microphone which also works. I would like to know what the two connections on the left hand side of the machine are called and what they are used for. Any information would be appreciated. I am attaching pictures of the recorder, the case, and the microphone so that you can see the condition that they are in, as well as the two connections.

The cassette recorder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5255[/ATTACH]

The case.

1947499_140914141002_2014-09-14_002.jpg

The microphone.

1947499_140914141041_2014-09-14_003.jpg

The connections

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5256[/ATTACH]

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

one could be a line in to record from a gramophone and the other a line out to go to the amp , these were standard connections in the 70`s l+r and left screen and right screen , they are usually not interchangeable , google gramophone/radiogram input/output connections and you can get DIN to RCA adaptors (5 Pin to standard RCA ) DIN -Duitse Industrial Norm , is generic and can be used on virtually any fitting.

GPOEL    10
GPOEL

The one on the right is to plug your microphone in to. The one on the left is called a 5-pin DIN plug. Here is were you connect your machine to another tape recorder, an amplifier, a record player, a CD player or a radio. The cables with those plugs are available, but hard to get......

Arkwright    10
Arkwright

I have this old 5-pin DIN plug that has two unusual connections that I do not recognise, but I suppose it is the same thing. Perhaps you might be able to identify these connections and recommend a way of using them. Here are some pictures.

The 5-pin DIN plug.

100_1799.jpg.1010d015e922d4ceb9a662f3af98b4ab.jpg

The two connections.

100_1800.jpg.9f4ecb0c62075401262c60c4c8196ac2.jpg

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

the din is fine the 2 connections are standard mono left and mono right plugs , small pin is + long is - or screen cut them off and solder 2 rca plugs in their place and off you go .Rca centre is + outer, is screen or negative , if you get high pitch scream cut the screen off the plugs

amcintyre    10
amcintyre

You can make up your own 5 pin din cables. Buy some screened audio cable, din plugs and solder up :-) I think I may have a din plug, pin-out table somewhere that I could scan for you to show how to wire them.

As for the two connectors (the red and black), I have seen something similar before connected on a mike. The one connector acted as a pause button, so that when one switched the mike off it would pause the recorder.

amcintyre    10
amcintyre

Actually, just google "5 pin din pinout". There is a lot of info out there.