Sign in to follow this  
sakkievs

Confused

sakkievs

I have recently started to sell items on BOB.

One of the items i listed was a 1857 Tower musket.

The firing mechanism i stated is still in working condition, meaning that it can still **** and that the trigger still work. However the Musket is an antique and are sold as a wall hanger.

I have gone through the prohibited items and cant find any where , where it states that it is illegal to list the item.

The item can be bought at any shop without a license.

I received a question that i actually see as "blackmail" to sell it to the person asking the question.

It boils down to...Sell the gun to him or he reports it. Really bad taste!:mad:

If he cant have it then nobody can......

Shortly after i declined his offer i received a mail.

"A member of the bidorbuy community has made the following report through the bidorbuy Community Watch for Item Id: Other Militaria - 1857 Enfield Tower Musket for sale in Kraaifontein (ID:164693894).

Subject: Illegal Item

Note:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

black powder gun cannot be sold here on bob "

This is the question i received.

Q:

Hi, are you aware that bob does not like us to sell these things on their web site, thus if you are interested you have to be quick about this before somebody reports this post, I am offering you R2 000.00 for this old gun, you got to remember that it is only suitable for a wall hanger as these old guns barrels would have been shot out due to the black powder that is in fact has an acid content and has eaten away at the onside of the barrel, contact me or look up queenstownforklifts thank's - Asked by WRANGLER_4X4 (1089 Rating score between 1000 and 4999) Verified User

24 Oct 22:45

A:

Sorry , cant accept your offer.

My question is now, Are we allowed to sell wall hangers like this here?

Why is this "concerned" member telling me to "look up queenstownforklifts"

Surely this is against TOS.

"The following are Prohibited Goods and Services mentioned in clause 4.4.4 of the Terms and Conditions of Use of this Site and you may not sell them or offer them for sale on this Site:

(a) stolen goods;

(b) illegally imported goods;.

© banned substances and pharmaceuticals that require a prescription according to South African law;

(d) pirated or counterfeit goods of any nature, including software, movies, music, clothing or any item that would infringe on Trademark laws;

(e) goods and services that are dangerous, or which may cause harm to persons or property;

(f) goods and services the sale or export, or purchase or import of which, would be in contravention of any law; and

(g) goods or services that we advise, in our sole discretion, are inappropriate for sale on this Site."

Edited by sakkievs

Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi, welcome to the forum

My suggestion is to just ignore this totally unless you get contacted by a member of the bidorbuy team.

This "buyer' is taking a chance and he is the one that generated the community watch report which then sends an automated email. Its amazing how downright nasty some people can be.

He is trying to get you to look him up for contact outside BoB which is definitely not on and you can report him for this.

Free Soul Styles

I agree with VLD. If Bid or Buy contacts you directly, then yes, take it down immediately.

I got lots of "questions" and what not from people who were against selling ivory, sadly, most of the people have no clue about the law on elephant ivory made before a certain date... And BoB let me carry on selling it, till they decided not to allow ivory to be sold on BoB at all a few months ago. When a lady emailed me personally i accepted that and delete all my ivory listings.

But this guy is in the wrong. He states that you are not allowed to sell it... But is still wanting to make you an offer. He also comes off as kind of hostile which, for a new seller is can be intimidating.

Either call BoB directly (get it in writing preferably, in case someone else questions you), or wait for them to email you and ask you to delete the listing.

admin

Hi All,

Weapons, deactivated or not, and ammunition are not allowed to be sold. Unfortunately due to the broad spectrum and amount of items that are illegal or not allowed to be sold, it is impossible to compile a list.

Thank you.

Not1CentMore

All being told, I would remove the listing AND not even entertain the offer made by WRANGLER_4X4 on 'principal'. He / She more or less put a gun to your head (pun intended), telling you the item was not allowed (in violation of BoB's policies) and to sell to him / her quick before the listing was reported to CW and then, quite possibly, was the one who reported you 'thinking' you would be desperate to sell to him / her... even after the listing was removed.

Trying to 'bully', 'badger', 'browbeat' (whatever 'label' you want to slap on it) a Seller into selling, for whatever reason, tells a lot about the character of the person. Nope, I'd 'run, Forrest, run'... far, far away from any / all dealings with this guy / gal.

Ruthie

Edited by Not1CentMore

wayjen

hmmm, blackmail for sure, I wonder who else was blackmailed like this?

You could have told that joker that because it's prohibited and still works, you want $5000.

voldermort

Whether its prohibited on BoB or not (& as you said you were unaware you were not allowed to sell it) I would still report this clown to Bid or Buy - nobody has any right to try bullying tactics. Disgusting!

sakkievs
Whether its prohibited on BoB or not (& as you said you were unaware you were not allowed to sell it) I would still report this clown to Bid or Buy - nobody has any right to try bullying tactics. Disgusting!

How do i report this user to BOB.

voldermort

Phone BoB in the morning - their number is on the homepage, ask to speak to Bennet (he is the security) tell him exactly what happened - once you give him your name etc he will be able to see this "question" on your item. If you have deleted this item (as you should because you now know you are not allowed to sell it) you have then done absolutely nothing wrong. This clown however, is very, very much in the wrong & needs to realise that it is totally unacceptable to be allowed to use blackmail/bullying tactics to try & purchase items.

Edited by voldermort

sakkievs

Thank you for the advise.

Will phone BOB.