Sign in to follow this  
Pickle Bearies

sales slump.... Am I alone?

Pickle Bearies

I have been selling on BOB for a number of years by now but the last few months have seen the worst slump in sales and I am wondering if I am alone in this? I have been putting it down to SAPO problems as I know for myself I have been avoiding buying online due to the strike...

I have now got a courier option available to my clients and am hoping this will help things pick up as the prices are good...

Any one else having similair problems??

Maverick

I have been selling for 4 years now and since about March this year the prices I am getting on auctions has been getting worse and worse. My profits have slumped this year and I am really concerned as it appears that less people are buying on BoB when supposedly we are so far behind the rest of the world with online purchasing and it should be growing all the time.

Especially the Crazy Wednesday auctions have been hit and I am now almost too scared to list auctions on there because I am getting terrible prices.

Cali Craft and Gems

You're not the only one!

Our online sales have dropped about 85-90% versus previous years since the strike has been in full swing. Rather painful on our overall bottom line (so to speak) so all I can say is thank heavens we have a back-up with the shop or we would never have made it, although we are definitely feeling the pinch.

I too now offer a courier to door service, but due to the higher costs involved, many buyers are still reluctant to order. A handful of my regulars have not minded the higher fees as they know the quality of our items, plus with the additional assurance of avoiding the SAPO.

mrmouse
I have been selling on BOB for a number of years by now but the last few months have seen the worst slump in sales and I am wondering if I am alone in this? I have been putting it down to SAPO problems as I know for myself I have been avoiding buying online due to the strike...

I have now got a courier option available to my clients and am hoping this will help things pick up as the prices are good...

It has nothing to do with sapo , it has everything to do with high prices , bad service from sellers , bad attitude from sellers , damaged goods being sold , this week I have purchased 3 tablet pc`s from another website , free courier and between 200 and 1000 rand cheaper , 2 day delivery instant communication full tracking and good service , sellers on BoB need to get their act together .

EcigSmokeOnline
It has nothing to do with sapo , it has everything to do with high prices , bad service from sellers , bad attitude from sellers , damaged goods being sold , this week I have purchased 3 tablet pc`s from another website , free courier and between 200 and 1000 rand cheaper , 2 day delivery instant communication full tracking and good service , sellers on BoB need to get their act together .

I agree somewhat, but I am sure the real reason for the current slump in sales all over the site is due to SAPO's strike. Not ALL sellers are like you described, most really do what's expected from them. We are also experiencing the same effect, sales definitely declined since we have decided to delete SAPO as a shipping method although we try to keep our clients happy in every way.

At this point in time there is a lot of buyers awaiting parcels via SAPO, most won't buy anything until they have received what they have paid for. The current strike is one of the worst and you can see the effects everywhere not only on BoB.

mrmouse

For the seed packet and beaders its a death knoll I agree , if other companys can offer freight at R35 for 1 kg , then maybe BoB should look at a freight carrier specifically for BoB and make it mandatory , if we loose out so does BoB ,

EcigSmokeOnline

I suppose your revering to Kalahari? I buy from them myself and yes their service is immaculately good, prices on electronic devices are much cheaper than on BoB and shipping are like you said R35 for courier, I have ordered a tablet from their site which was dispatched from Cape Town, it's about 1500 km to my residence, it took 3 days to be delivered.

There were a reply in another subject on the forum from BoB that they are looking into something similar for shipping on BoB, hopefully it will happen in the not to far future.

Pickle Bearies

What you say is true...but please don't throw every one in the same bracket!

Pickle Bearies

I have been buying a lot from ebay lately and am amazed by the service of those sellers in particular the sellers from China!

I have been very frustrated in the past with the little help I get not only from sellers but also from BOB...

mrmouse
I have been buying a lot from ebay lately and am amazed by the service of those sellers in particular the sellers from China!

I have been very frustrated in the past with the little help I get not only from sellers but also from BOB...

\ebay`s service is excellent especially the free freight options .

mrmouse
What you say is true...but please don't throw every one in the same bracket!

I have purchased over 200 items on BoB some cheap some expensive , probably only 20 items have worked or arrived in one piece , so yes i do generalise when talking about bob , my wife and i both sell on BoB , but I can say one thing I will never purchase second hand on BoB again ,or any electrical/electronic item off BoB again .ie purchased a clock came with no glass and no hands or motor , purchased a laptop seller denied installing a password Dell said he tried to get them to remove it , purchased 3 led floodlights from different sellers all came with broken glass . purchased a motherboard <

EcigSmokeOnline
I have purchased over 200 items on BoB some cheap some expensive , probably only 20 items have worked or arrived in one piece , so yes i do generalise when talking about bob , my wife and i both sell on BoB , but I can say one thing I will never purchase second hand on BoB again ,or any electrical/electronic item off BoB again .ie purchased a clock came with no glass and no hands or motor , purchased a laptop seller denied installing a password Dell said he tried to get them to remove it , purchased 3 led floodlights from different sellers all came with broken glass . purchased a motherboard <

You are full of deceit about sellers on BoB, but you did not rate them accordingly to what you stated. You have rated 3 neutral and rest positive with a very good comment's about their service, communication and products. Why did you keep on purchasing on BoB if this is how you feel, your last purchase was a month ago.

I just don't see justice in your argument because your ratings to sellers don't make sense if like you stated that 90% of the products you bought are useless.

Pickle Bearies

That is true...I never purchase any electronics, glass, breakables etc on Bob. For those items I go to takelot whose service is excellent and whom also accept returns without a question .

I have purchased over 500 items on BOB and have had only 4 bad experiences but I must admit that I am very careful as to whom I buy from and also what I buy.... As most my purchases on bob relate to my hobbies I find that these sellers are as ethusiastic about the items they sell and therefore give excellent service.

My bad experiences all relate to " The big sellers" ...

mrmouse
You are full of deceit about sellers on BoB, but you did not rate them accordingly to what you stated. You have rated 3 neutral and rest positive with a very good comment's about their service, communication and products. Why did you keep on purchasing on BoB if this is how you feel, your last purchase was a month ago.

I just don't see justice in your argument because your ratings to sellers don't make sense if like you stated that 90% of the products you bought are useless.

Rating is service related , you dont have to see justice in any of my arguments , its not for you to concern yourself about ,it also is no concern of yours as to when I last purchased on BoB as stated I will not buy second hand or electronic goods again loose service parts are a different story as I purchase those through BoB and direct .Deceit is a different story altogether .

EcigSmokeOnline
Rating is service related , you dont have to see justice in any of my arguments , its not for you to concern yourself about ,it also is no concern of yours as to when I last purchased on BoB as stated I will not buy second hand or electronic goods again loose service parts are a different story as I purchase those through BoB and direct .Deceit is a different story altogether .

I am selling on BoB and when you make statements that relate to sellers it is of my concern, your ratings are there for all to see.

This is quoted from BoB's rating system info, once again your statement are wrong. Get the facts before you want to take on sellers in general.

"bidorbuy encourages users to rate one another based on experiences whilst transacting. Buyers should rate sellers based on seller service, communication, delivery and product quality. Sellers should rate buyers depending on promptness of payment, communication etc. There are three kinds of ratings: Positive, Neutral and Negative."

[i]It has nothing to do with sapo , it has everything to do with high prices , bad service from sellers , bad attitude from sellers , damaged goods being sold , this week I have purchased 3 tablet pc`s from another website , free courier and between 200 and 1000 rand cheaper , 2 day delivery instant communication full tracking and good service , sellers on BoB need to get their act together .[/i]

You are full of deceit in other words, misleading.

Edited by EcigSmokeOnline

reeceonlinetrading

sapo has been striking for a while, we try to do our best to offer buyers the courier option with reasonable prices but they dont want to use the facility. i think they want a free delivery but right now in most cases that is not possible since profit margins are taking a knock. recenlty i have been losing money on auctions which makes the buyer gain but they still complain about the postage or freight being too high, frustrating thing is they only complain after they receive their items even though the fees are available for them to see while bidding, and also they have scored a good deal

moodTime

The post office seems to be operating again just at a slower rate, some of my parcels have been delivered this week via WITPOS and other JHB HUBS, it is just JIMC that is not operating. I think the warning bidorbuy has posted on account screen may be scaring off a lot of buyers particularly those in areas not effected. Perhaps it can be toned down a bit as there is no strike in DBN or CPT, and JHB seems to be operating at +-60% according to them.

Edited by moodTime

Vinyl Lady Decals

There may not be an official strike in Durban, but my post office and others are not accepting parcels as there is such a large backlog that they don't have storage space and neither does the hub.

moodTime
There may not be an official strike in Durban, but my post office and others are not accepting parcels as there is such a large backlog that they don't have storage space and neither does the hub.

Yes, only applicable to parcel going to JHB, DBN to DBN for the last few parcels I sent took 4 days and 7 days for parcels to reach CPT. JHB still a huge problem with backlog :mad:

KMartin

Not trying to Diss Bidorbuy either , but from the buying side there way to many let down's, fair example is the item i was just about to win :

http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/forum-community-watch/19696-happening-way-much.html

and the end result ::: Bob says not sellers fault as he did not have enough stock, although he was able to sell 3 more the following day, and he is not on the drop shipping list....but it was allowed...

Rules are Rules and if BOB let them slip for some then why not others.. Makes you wonder,

Not to mention the fact i also ordered something from JHB just before the strike, and never knew about strike, so its still sitting at SAPO for months now.. , So i dont buy from Sellers outside WC anymore until that is resolved. Im sure im not the only one, Why buy an item from say JHB for R50 and send Courier all way to Knysna for say R150 or more ?!?

Edited by KMartin
Added

Fashion Police

I've also experienced a reduction in my BoB sales this year in general. The past month has been the worst by far, I suspect due to SAPO strike.

However, I think the general issue is SA's economy. This year's mine strikes really took a huge toll on many South Africans. We must also bear in mind each and every year cost of living increases significantly (electricity, food, fuel etc)

The strikes are really not helping our economy - massive snow ball effect. Every few months we hear of another strike, and we don't realise how it in reality affects everyone.

I read somewhere they're expecting 2015 to recover, let's hope and see what happens.

Fashion Police
For the seed packet and beaders its a death knoll I agree , if other companys can offer freight at R35 for 1 kg , then maybe BoB should look at a freight carrier specifically for BoB and make it mandatory , if we loose out so does BoB ,

One must be realistic about this.

These companies you're referring to ship thousands and thousands of parcels - they have bulk contracts with courier companies, they pay very little per parcel and a standard set fee per parcel - I know of some that pay a set fee of around R28 per parcel.

The comparison cannot be made between these huge billion rand companies and small businesses / bidorbuy traders.

Not1CentMore
One must be realistic about this.These companies you're referring to ship thousands and thousands of parcels - they have bulk contracts with courier companies, they pay very little per parcel and a standard set fee per parcel - I know of some that pay a set fee of around R28 per parcel. The comparison cannot be made between these huge billion rand companies and small businesses / bidorbuy traders.

How true. This side, couriers like UPS have a 'sliding scale'... the more an individual / business ships (based on previous month), the lower the shipping costs the next month. BIG companies are in the position to negotiate a flat (volumetric weight) shipping cost. There is no way 'little guys' can compete with these individuals / businesses who ship hundreds of parcels, worldwide, on any given day.

Ruthie

bitesize

I'm just a seller who sells odds and ends and doesn't base a business on it. But I haven't had sales for sometime now and it is mostly based on SAPO Strike. because i don't sell as much it's not financially viable for me to set up an account with a courier where i need to buy labels in bulk of over R400 per area or over R1000 per account in order to get that type of discount from couriers. I understand buyers not wanting to pay so much for courier for an item that is valued less than the postage so I'm just waiting and hoping.

But the remark about sellers not being reliable, ebay is just as unreliable with items from China and surrounding not even working or arriving. It's the buyer's responsibility to check profiles and if they bid or buy an item that's too good to be true, it's on their shoulders. I know what it's like not to receive items from known companies and face issues, so I make my buyers my main priority. Don't forget, sellers also have to deal with bogus buyers who don't pay or attempt to commit fraud (one buyer attempted to lie about not receiving their parcel yet the SAPO system recorded their ID no stating delivery complete). So it's a two way path.

I still believe Bid or Buy is safer than other online classifieds. I didn't get bites on a microscope kit so tried on another known website and ended up getting such freakish calls (they demanded we provide our details in public) that I immediately removed the ad just after one day. I was nearly robbed of my phone while trying to sell it through a classified section in a paper. You get good guys and bad guys no matter where you try to sell, but here at least there is a higher level of safety for buyer and seller.

Miss Jewels

There has been a slight drop in sales from the BoB platform, but I cannot only blame SAPO. We now offer 6 different shipping options, so it's for the buyers to decide which will be best for them.

I have also recently started selling on 2 other local platforms, and sales have gone through the roof with them. The one company ships themself (so they hold our stock) and the other company we ship.

If sales are down, sellers need to start exploring other selling platforms in order to generate a higher income.

And yes, I am a great supporter of South African selling platforms, although most of my suppiers are international, (and I am not referring to e-bay :noworry:). My own range is manufactured in CT as with the R$, it was the cheaper option, and also much better quality.

Sellers need to take a deep breath and start exploring ..... the sky is the limit

Edited by Miss Jewels