Sign in to follow this  
Artemis Prime

Warning - all rose seed listings are scams & contravene Consumer Protection Act

Artemis Prime

Firstly, I am a rose fanatic and part of my work is public education on environmental issues.

I would like to write a public information article (similar to the one about Ralph Lauren Polo vs Polo SA) about this huge worldwide "rose seeds" scam. It includes 505 listings for so called "rose seeds" currently on the BOB site. It will help buyers to be informed, and possibly prevent sellers and BOB itself from being charged with contravening sections of the Consumer Protection Act (2008). I am aware that BOB, some sellers and buyers may not be aware about the biology of roses, so being informed will benefit everyone.

I want to alert uninformed buyers and sellers that all rose seed listings are a scam, because rose plants do not grow true from seed. This means that a rose plant's seeds will never grow into a plant with flowers that look the same as the original plant. There is no nursery that sells packets of rose seeds, because all commercial roses are grown from cuttings. Cuttings are the only way to grow a new rose plant that looks and performs like its parent. Thus, no seller can guarantee or describe what the rose seeds they are selling will produce. It is because of this that the listings for all rose seeds contravene section 24 of the Consumer Protection Act (2008) which states:

(3) A retailer of goods must—

(a)not offer to supply, display or supply any particular goods if the retailer

knows, reasonably could determine or has reason to suspect that—

(i) a trade description applied to those goods is likely to mislead the

consumer as to any matter implied or expressed in that trade description;

The part stating "reasonably could determine" would require a basic google search to determine that one can't grow roses from seed. It is thus misleading to consumers to include a picture of any rose on a seed listing, with the promise that the seed will produce the flower pictured. No-one is able to make such a claim or give that guarantee, thus the trade description is false and misleading to the consumer, which is a contravention of the Act. Both BOB and the individual sellers are liable.

The internet rose plants scam is "clever" because it exploits the short feedback time for online sales. By the time the seeds germinate and flower, the time to give feedback has long passed by and the sellers have positive ratings and the money. Many online "rose seed" sellers are sending buyers radishes, carrots or seeds of pest plants.

Artemis Prime

Just to add, I'm glad to see that some forum members have posted about "rainbow rose" seeds before. But these are not the only fake rose seeds marketed online. Black roses and Blue roses (as in sky blue), also do not exist. All of these roses are either white roses which have been dyed, or very very bad Photoshop. The real roses which we rose growers call black, are actually just a dark red or maroon, and the roses we call blue are actually various shades of light purple / lavender. Hundreds of years of professional rose breeding and modern cultivation methods have still not produced those colours, so it is unlikely that some random people on online auction sites have managed to create or source such plants.

Four sellers with hundreds of listings amongst them, are selling these non existent plants (for huge amounts):

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/160841609/Black_rose_seeds_Packet_of_10_seeds_IN_STOCK_Rose_seeds_orders_R250_Plus_Free_Delivery.html

Roses - Rainbow Rose . 200 seeds for sale in Johannesburg (ID:162999738)

Other Gardening & Plants - FLOWERS - MIXED ROSE SEEDS for sale in Johannesburg (ID:161249787)

Roses - Blue Dragon Rose Seeds (10 seeds) for sale in Kleinmond (ID:161747231)

I grow some striped roses which are incredible, but there's no blue ones at all. All of the listings also use made up names for the normal colour roses. There is a recognised international system of rose names which includes the common name + the breeder registration name. It is not difficult to find them on a site like HelpMeFind.com/roses.

If readers take only one thing away from this post it should be: Don't buy rose seeds of any type online. Rather go to a nursery.

Seeds and All
I want to alert uninformed buyers and sellers that all rose seed listings are a scam, because rose plants do not grow true from seed. This means that a rose plant's seeds will never grow into a plant with flowers that look the same as the original plant. There is no nursery that sells packets of rose seeds, because all commercial roses are grown from cuttings. Cuttings are the only way to grow a new rose plant that looks and performs like its parent. Thus, no seller can guarantee or describe what the rose seeds they are selling will produce. It is thus misleading to consumers to include a picture of any rose on a seed listing, with the promise that the seed will produce the flower pictured. Many online "rose seed" sellers are sending buyers radishes, carrots or seeds of pest plants.

I am glad this has been brought to everyone's attention again, as I too have been concerned about these rose seed listings. I do however have a problem with the wording of the above statements. It should read: all cultivated rose seed listings are a scam. Rose seeds from true species, within the genus Rosa will grow and flower true to form. I sell rose seeds of the true species: Rosa davidii, Rosa hugonis, Rosa moyesii and Rosa rubrifolia. By saying that all rose seed listings are a scam, you are including my genuine listings. Please consider rewording the above statements made.

Seeds - Rose Variety Seed Pack - 26 Seeds - Beautiful Collection! + Get Free Seeds with ALL Orders! for sale in Port Elizabeth (ID:162153953)

Danie M

Given this information..Shouldn't the listings be removed then ?

mrmouse
Given this information..Shouldn't the listings be removed then ?

NAH theres a sucker born every minute ,, schlurp schlurp

Pickle Bearies

I think most garden enthusiasts are aware of the rose seed problems... As seeds and all above stated "all cultivated rose seed listings are a scam. Rose seeds from true species, within the genus Rosa will grow and flower true to form." ...

I just can't imagine some one informed actually buying the blue, black or rainbow rose seeds... if they do and manage to get flowers please send me a pic!!

Pickle Bearies

It is possible to get multi colour roses but as stated above by Artemis prime...this is done by means of cuttings and grafting.