Sign in to follow this  
ziggy2000

Alternative Shipping methods to Post Office

ziggy2000

I am sure sellers are now seriously looking into using couriers as a regular alternative for shipping. I have shopped around and the couriers I approached are all still charging way more than the Post Office. Has anybody found a reasonable courier?

ArxValdex

I was also hoping someone would recommend a valid and affordable courier service to your question.

MDS Collivery is pretty expensive however no matter what kind of service you choose they deliver overnight

Dawn Wing is about R50 cheaper only if you have an account (Credit) which is impossible to get if you prefer cash and have zero debt

First Freight pretty much the same as MDS Collivery

My wanting to know is because customers are telling me that they can arrange courier for R100 for a parcel that MDS charges R200 which does not make sense as I got quotes from just about all couriers and none quoted me R100 for said parcel.

Free Soul Styles

Many people are using Aramex (You can get the bags and sending in them in via Pick n' Pay) at R100.00.

I am using The Courier Guy at R65.00 for most areas. I find them to be one of the best. But this all depends on the size and weight. All my items are small graded coins and notes.

Edited by Free Soul Styles

RAG Auctioneers

Have done hours of research, and your options are The Courier Guy and Fastway.

Send local for R30 (bag) to R50 (parcel) and national R65 (bag) to R95 (parcel).

It is more if you sending to places out of Major centers and if you exceed 15km.

!!WARNING!! Fastway has terrible service.

The Courier Guy has excellent service.

Edited by RAG Auctioneers

TribalTrade

I will disagree with you in the strongest terms. I only had good experiences with them!

amcintyre

I'm not sure if it's dependent on the area involved, but I have found Fastway to be slow and inefficient. I recently bought some stuff of BOB and tried to have it couriered via Fastway. It was meant to go from J,burg to East London. It ended up in Prt Elizabeth for about 7 days. I eventually received a phone call from Fastway that it had arrived in EL and that the driver didn't know where the address was located. However, I had contacted the BOB seller in the interim and he had dispatched another item via a different courier which had arrived the day following sending it for couriering. I had Fastway return the original item to the seller. The whole process took them about 14 days when they phoned me to set up delivery.

TribalTrade

@amcintyre, The problem in PE, East London is being attended to by Fastway.

I also logged a complaint with the CEO in that area. He responded within minutes.

Fastway currently use the services of TCG in that area as a third party for deliveries. I had exactly the same problem you described. After I logged the complaint was the parcel delivered within an hour!

This is a case of using opposition to do your deliveries until the new owner sets up his warehouse. Not good in my opinion.

But, this is an isolated case. ALL their deliveries done for me has been without major issues.

I just signed up with TCG and hope that they will also be of the same high standard.

Free Soul Styles

I have to say i agree with RAG Auctioneers. I've had very slow service from Fastway. I call early in the mornings and they only collect after 12pm. They also don't deliver to as many places as other couriers. Every other week it's a different driver and he rocks up after 5 hours. It's very frustrating.

With The Courier Guy i book a collection online and they collect within an hour and a half MAX. Sometimes i have to do bookings 6 or 7 times a day, and it's never a hassle. I've had 1 or 2 items that got a bit mumbled up due to the buyer giving the wrong address or because the area is rural or closed off, but for the usual places it's a snap. I am very impressed with their service. Even when you call them up they are friendly and fast to reply to queries or issues.

NooNooBug

Aramex to me is the best price option for Rural but not for main centres. I will use a combo of couriers at this stage to allow for this. As I am in a rural area myself it is also convenient as we have a Fresh Stop / Caltex on the highway about 12km away. For the other couriers I drop off at their depot in town. At the moment I have been using Dawn Wing as we have an account so got a better deal but they are very expensive for rural as they use a third party to deliver !

Lukeness

Aramex delivers here with the same subcontractor as Fedex so for me it's a no-brainer, and it's very convenient.

EcigSmokeOnline
Have done hours of research, and your options are The Courier Guy and Fastway.

Send local for R30 (bag) to R50 (parcel) and national R65 (bag) to R95 (parcel).

It is more if you sending to places out of Major centers and if you exceed 15km.

The Courier Guy has excellent service.

I strongly disagree, I have been using them for almost a year now and can recall 2 incidents where delivery has been delayed by 1 day and caused by the clients not updating their details on BoB's system. In my opinion their fees are the lowest of all courier companies. The Courier Guy's fees are much higher.

EcigSmokeOnline
I have to say i agree with RAG Auctioneers. I've had very slow service from Fastway. I call early in the mornings and they only collect after 12pm. They also don't deliver to as many places as other couriers. Every other week it's a different driver and he rocks up after 5 hours. It's very frustrating.

With The Courier Guy i book a collection online and they collect within an hour and a half MAX. Sometimes i have to do bookings 6 or 7 times a day, and it's never a hassle. I've had 1 or 2 items that got a bit mumbled up due to the buyer giving the wrong address or because the area is rural or closed off, but for the usual places it's a snap. I am very impressed with their service. Even when you call them up they are friendly and fast to reply to queries or issues.

Fastway is a young company at the moment and expanding, since I have started to use them they have almost doubled the regions they are servicing. And just for some interest, the Courier Guy in the Cape region is experiencing telephonic problems so that means their servers is off line and usually that mean chaos for a courier company, lets see how they cope.:unsure:

Free Soul Styles

I've never had an issue when the lines were down here in JHB. My bookings were still collected as usual. I don't think there will be any problems with them collecting or even getting the bookings. But one never knows till the pawpaw hits the fan....

reeceonlinetrading

i tried contacting fastway phoenix depot to get their rates was told they will email to me i phoned 3 times that week got same answer i eventually gave up after a week

EcigSmokeOnline

l

i tried contacting fastway phoenix depot to get their rates was told they will email to me i phoned 3 times that week got same answer i eventually gave up after a week

You can get their rates online. Media release sample 3

staccato

I have sent items via SAPO registered post (as I do all my shipping) during the strike, since the strike, I have mailed 6 orders & the items have taken between 10 to max 15 days to reach the recipient. I warn the buyers that it would take longer than normal to reach them, so far have had no hassles. In spite of the strike, delivery still takes place. Most buyers are happy to wait for their orders.

Edited by staccato

NooNooBug
I have sent items via SAPO registered post (as I do all my shipping) during the strike, since the strike, I have mailed 6 orders & the items have taken between 10 to max 15 days to reach the recipient. I warn the buyers that it would take longer than normal to reach them, so far have had no hassles. In spite of the strike, delivery still takes place. Most buyers are happy to wait for their orders.

Which areas did you send to ? Any to Tswane & Johannesburg?

Reinholt

I used The Courier Guy yesterday and what a pleasure. Bookings done online, payment done on line.

They have a site where you can check on what the parcels will cost, Express Online Couriers. The rates are reasonable.

for the larger parcels. Would highly recommend this, as this is the way i will be doing most of my large parcels.

ziggy2000
I used The Courier Guy yesterday and what a pleasure. Bookings done online, payment done on line.

They have a site where you can check on what the parcels will cost, Express Online Couriers. The rates are reasonable.

for the larger parcels. Would highly recommend this, as this is the way i will be doing most of my large parcels.

Yes, I agree. On larger parcels Express Online Couriers charge about the same I would have paid SAPO, so definitely the way to go in the future. And they collect same day, so far without any hiccups, just awesome service!

EcigSmokeOnline

If BoB decide to implement their own delivery service they can make a killing and create much needed jobs also this will give buyers more confidence in online sales on the site, I think all sellers are awaiting your update from your earlier response BOB...remember? You said to watch this space..have you decided about this?

NooNooBug

Used the Aramex drop box several times in the last week & a half and was very happy. It is a bit pricey for main centres but it is one of the most reasonable for outlying areas. Of the parcels I sent with them, I had two remote parcels, the first took less than 72 hrs from when I put it into the box to when it was signed for, the second took less than 24 hrs (George to Port Alfred !), so yes I will use them again !

qball

bob is not a distribution or freight company and have no expertise in this - it's not what we do. IF we do something, it will be in conjunction with a "recognised shipping company", but they will handle everything regarding delivery not bob. The other obstacle is that we cannot force people to use "that supplier", as it may still remain uneconomical to do so depenidng on the seller's location, type of product being sent and recouping fees for such services. These are just a few of the challenges, then we have to look at technical integration which is a huge issue, billing, collection of fees and outstanding debts.

Remember, as we do not ship products we cannot control the shipping process.

We are looking at various options but as we have said above, it is a challenge in the type of environment we operate in as we are not a retailer or holder of stock.

Free Soul Styles
!!WARNING!! Fastway has terrible service. The Courier Guy has excellent service.

Here's 2 perfect examples of the service that Fastway offers in my area:

1. My parcel landed in JHB from DBN on Monday last week, (was supposed to be collected on the previous Friday, but the driver never rocked up). Friday 24th i still had not received it. I tracked it and all 4 days had the same message "on delivery truck". After i called them up the driver delivered the parcel... The wrong parcel and had to come back. For 4 days he had my parcel in his truck.

2. I booked a parcel today before 12pm... The driver collected just before 4pm. The driver in my area is extremely slow and not very helpful.

The Courier Guy has collected 4 times from me today. ALL within an hour of booking the parcel.

EcigSmokeOnline
Here's 2 perfect examples of the service that Fastway offers in my area:

1. My parcel landed in JHB from DBN on Monday last week, (was supposed to be collected on the previous Friday, but the driver never rocked up). Friday 24th i still had not received it. I tracked it and all 4 days had the same message "on delivery truck". After i called them up the driver delivered the parcel... The wrong parcel and had to come back. For 4 days he had my parcel in his truck.

2. I booked a parcel today before 12pm... The driver collected just before 4pm. The driver in my area is extremely slow and not very helpful.

The Courier Guy has collected 4 times from me today. ALL within an hour of booking the parcel.

Did you lay a complaint?