Sign in to follow this  
Allstar

Branded Fragrances/Perfumes from Dubai - Fake or just Grey Imports?

Allstar

Over the last year and a half there has been quite a few sellers selling what appear to be and are sold as branded fragrances/perfumes where the seller always says they are from Dubai.

The descriptions also seem to imply that the seller is not 100% sure they are genuine and they normally have a good returns policy. Often the prices are just beyond ridiculous, maybe a 1/4 or 1/5 of current retail prices even on brands that are never marked down like DIOR, CHANEL etc.

The sellers generally have lots of positive ratings for the sales of the fragrances with just a few negative ratings complaining that the stuff is fake. That being said even the legit fragrance sellers on Bob get people complaining about their products being fake, it appears it could be people who aren't sure how the fragrance should smell in the first place or the perfume has been reformulated since they last smelt it.

Have checked a few reputable fragrance forums and many warn that Dubai/Saudi Arabia is a hot bed for counterfeit fragrances but at the same time the prices there for genuine fragrances are much less than other countries, just not to the level some of these sellers are selling at.

So are these Fake or just Grey Imports that are very cheap as they are brought in via Dubai, maybe without paying duties somehow? (duties alone are 35% + vat)

I have wanted to order some stuff from these sellers but it just seems to good to be true...

Here are some of the sellers currently selling these products:

All ratings received by dabza on bidorbuy.co.za

"NB*** PLEASE NOTE THESE PERFUMES ARE NOT THE CHINESE RIPOFFS THEY ARE DUBAI IMPORTS ....WE HAVE A FULL MONEY BACK GUARANTEE ON OUR PRODUCTS BECAUSE WE ARE EXTREMELY CONFIDENT THAT YOU WILL BE HAPPY FOR THE QUALITY THAT YOU ARE SPENDING YOUR MONEY ON....WE ARE CURRENTLY UNBEATABLE AT OUR PRICES OF PERFUMES.... "

Items for sale from redz4u on bidorbuy.co.za

"Perfumes are from dubai excellent quality. "

Is there anyone that knows fragrances well that have ordered from these seller with stuff from Dubai?

Edited by Allstar

Allstar

Here's an answer on one of the items

Hi There :)

I've fallen in love with this fragrance but in-stores prices are hectic!

Just wanted to know if this is the real authentic ones as they sell in stores? Are they oil based or water based? Look for to hearing from you.

Regards - Asked by N____1 (4)

20 Jun 15:32

A:

hi please keep in mind this is not the chinese ripp off perfumes ..they are imported from dubai ..i have sold over 20 dior miss diors with out any complaints

the pink miss dior (cherie) it is alcohol /water base i assume as the yellow one is oiled based

i have a full money back guarantee incase there are any faults with any of my products..no questions asked provided it is returned within the guarantee period

i would also like to advise that stock of miss dior will only be in next wednesday

Fragrances for Her - " DIOR" 'MISS DIOR CHERIE " eau de toilette perfume(100ml) ..the classy fragrance was sold for R361.00 on 27 Jun at 14:03 by dabza in Gauteng (ID:152102589)

Allstar

No one have any ideas or experience with these sellers/fragrances?

RISadler

Mmmmmm ... fragrances/perfumes from Dubai ... what scents? Camel sweat would be nice. :laugh:

jogesel

Dubai or not Dubai. That is the question. Unless Dubai has a number of plants manufacturing all these perfumes under license they must originate elsewhere. Where could they originate from? Would French perfume manufacturers send their products to Dubai for resale elsewhere? What economic sense would that make? If they are the genuine article then they should state "made in France". Can perfumes manufactured in Dubai say made in France - no unless they are fake. Why would a French company send their products to Dubai to be sold for perhaps less than the cost of production?

No payment of duties as you suggest! Show me any government that will relax the payment of taxes and duties.

It could be that they are imported from Dubai and they were initially imported from China.

As the saying goes - if it looks to good to be true it usually is.

A search of Google indicates there are a number of perfume manufacturers in Dubai, all with Arab names. No Channel or Dior.

What perfumes they sell and under what names is not clear.

Allstar

Very good points, that's why I am suspicious

The sellers on Bob are all selling well known branded major fashion house fragrances, but Dubai is also well known as a trade hub with relatively cheap transport costs and I think they possibly may allow many items to be imported/exported duty free, its not your average country in terms of revenue collection with their vast oil wealth. But that being said the sellers may not be paying SARS import duties because on perfume its 35% + vat which would make their cost price take quite a hit.

Fake fragrances is a big industry and technology is allowing it to get really sophisticated, the fact that the sellers acknowledge the fragrances could be dodgy, ie "from Dubai fragrances, not from China" and allow returns no matter what, I suppose is indicative of the fact they must be fake, albeit very good ones and they are riding on the fake that many people won't know what the originals smell like and even if they do its not always a clear cut thing to ascertain.