Sign in to follow this  
Free Soul Styles

BoB bans Elephant Ivory

Free Soul Styles    10
Free Soul Styles

About 2 weeks ago i was emailed by BoB and asked to remove all my Elephant Ivory items as a new rule came to pass that Ivory is no longer allowed to be sold on BoB. Rules are rules and i removed all my items as requested on the same day.

I see now that not only are other sellers STILL selling their ivory (bangles, tusks etc), but there's new stuff being uploaded for auctions! I was told to report it all to Community Watch, but there's still so much ivory on BoB that i'll spend the entire day reporting it all! Why should some be allowed to upload new items?? I can understand that it will take time to remove it all if sellers do not comply, but the fact that people are listing new stuff is very upsetting.

Edited by Free Soul Styles

RISadler    10
RISadler
About 2 weeks ago i was emailed by BoB and asked to remove all my Elephant Ivory items as a new rule came to pass that Ivory is no longer allowed to be sold on BoB. Rules are rules ...

All ivory or just new items made recently from specifically elephant ivory? Just asking, because that would also influence items made from boar ivory and/or items made 100 years ago.

Free Soul Styles    10
Free Soul Styles

Just Elephant, regardless of the date it was made. I asked. I know that ivory items made before a certain period is legal to sell only in SA (all my ivory is "white ivory"), however, it is now banned on Bid or Buy specifically.

RISadler    10
RISadler

Mmmmm ... I wonder if SANParks has made a deal with BoB to first starve the market before they unload their stock?

Free Soul Styles    10
Free Soul Styles

They're also not allowed to sell to international buyers, so good luck to SANParks....

I think it has more to do with buyers complaining about the ivory itself. Most people think any ivory is illegal, they have not actually researched it at all. For example, selling of pre-ban (June 1989) elephant ivory is completely legal in South Africa, it is not allowed to be sold outside of South Africa. The fact remains that thousands of hunters prior to 1989 and especially in the 1940's through 1970's is when hunters went after their trophies. Much of this ivory still remains and is coming onto the market today as these generations of hunters are passing on their trophies, selling off estates and/or selling it themselves. I got mine from legit people and family members.

I'm not saying hunting is a good thing, in fact, i hate the idea of hunting for sport. However, i inherited 3 very large OLD tusks and i have nowhere to put it and i can't sell it... I refuse to donate it or burn it either.

Fact remains, BoB has decided to stop the selling of ivory, and i can accept that. However, people on BoB are still uploading ivory stock while mine is long gone. I don't think it's very fair.

RISadler    10
RISadler
I'm not saying hunting is a good thing, in fact, i hate the idea of hunting for sport.

"The citizens have the right to arm bears." Too bad we don't have any bears in SA.

However, i inherited 3 very large OLD tusks and i have nowhere to put it and i can't sell it...

List them as warthog tusks from the Koeberg Nature Reserve. The fact that you have three of 'em .... from the same animal?

Or heffalump tusks .... and throw in a free Pooh skin.

Free Soul Styles    10
Free Soul Styles

HAHAHAHAH!

I'd love to see a warthog with 2m tusks!!

I have 3, from somewhere back in the day. 2 from the same heffalump. The other from "your guess is as good as mine". Great grandfather passed them on...

qball    11
qball

Unfortunately due to the number fo sellers and items listed it does take us a while to get seller's to co-operate. The items and sellers will be dealt with accordingly. This does not happen overnight and we thank you for your compliance and understanding.

RISadler    10
RISadler
Great grandfather passed them on...

There you are then .... sell them as "Grandpa's old teeth".

RISadler    10
RISadler
The items and sellers will be dealt with accordingly.

Does this involve a dungeon, a pair of pliers and some rubber hose?

This does not happen overnight ...

But that's the best time for such things to happen, especially when they involve a dungeon, a pair of pliers and some rubber hose.

... we thank you for your compliance and understanding.

(OK, even I know I couldn't post the remark I had thought up for this one. Sorry, folks.)

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

I was just reported to CW (twice in same day) for Illegal Item and received a General User Notification: Ivory Warning for an item I have listed. Seems either the reporting parties did not read fully the item description or is not familiar with the term 'Mandarin Ivory' or 'Mandarin Ivory' means something different in SA than it does in the USA.

Mandarin Ivory (this side) refers to a process whereby alabastrite (a stone-based material which can be intricately molded producing great detail and will allow paint to adhere) or polymer is processed to resemble ivory.

I have replied to both reports to CW and the General User Notification. I have added 'Mandarin Ivory' to the listing Title and modified the description to read:

"Originally carved in authentic ivory elephant tusk, this remarkable replica is sculpted in Mandarin Ivory, a process whereby alabastrite (a stone-based material which can be intricately molded producing great detail and will allow paint to adhere) and / or polymer is processed to resemble ivory, capturing the coveted antique patina and sculptural detail of the original."

I apologize for any confusion.

Ruthie

wayjen    10
wayjen
I was just reported to CW (twice in same day) for Illegal Item and received a General User Notification: Ivory Warning for an item I have listed. Seems either the reporting parties did not read fully the item description or is not familiar with the term 'Mandarin Ivory' or 'Mandarin Ivory' means something different in SA than it does in the USA.

Mandarin Ivory (this side) refers to a process whereby alabastrite (a stone-based material which can be intricately molded producing great detail and will allow paint to adhere) or polymer is processed to resemble ivory.

I have replied to both reports to CW and the General User Notification. I have added 'Mandarin Ivory' to the listing Title and modified the description to read:

"Originally carved in authentic ivory elephant tusk, this remarkable replica is sculpted in Mandarin Ivory, a process whereby alabastrite (a stone-based material which can be intricately molded producing great detail and will allow paint to adhere) and / or polymer is processed to resemble ivory, capturing the coveted antique patina and sculptural detail of the original."

I apologize for any confusion.

Ruthie

Why do these jerks make false accusations towards sellers and report them without checking the facts? Waste of BoB's time and the sellers.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore
Why do these jerks make false accusations towards sellers and report them without checking the facts? Waste of BoB's time and the sellers.

It's always best to be on the 'safe side'. I am thinking the reports were made out of concern that BoB might 'reap the fallout' from violating laws in SA by listings violating those laws being allowed to be / continue to be on the site.

As they say here, 'no harm, no foul'.

Ruthie

qball    11
qball
Does this involve a dungeon, a pair of pliers and some rubber hose?

But that's the best time for such things to happen, especially when they involve a dungeon, a pair of pliers and some rubber hose.

(OK, even I know I couldn't post the remark I had thought up for this one. Sorry, folks.)

I am worried about you... rubber hoses???? :nuts:

Free Soul Styles    10
Free Soul Styles

Not1CentMore i must apologize for that. My "little helper" did that. Pip slap to the head and a detailed lecture on the difference between elephant ivory and other ivory received. I am very sorry. Reading the bloody description also helps...

RISadler    10
RISadler
I am worried about you... rubber hoses???? :nuts:

See, you DO care! (Even if probably only for your own safety, but nonetheless you do care about ME!!!!) :nuts:

Free Soul Styles    10
Free Soul Styles
There you are then .... sell them as "Grandpa's old teeth".

Great idea, however, i think people will know the difference.

RISadler    10
RISadler
... however, i think people will know the difference.

Only if they knew him personally ... besides, those were his safari teeth.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore
Not1CentMore i must apologize for that. My "little helper" did that. Pip slap to the head and a detailed lecture on the difference between elephant ivory and other ivory received. I am very sorry. Reading the bloody description also helps...

I fault no one for reporting a concern to CW. Watchful eyes and a dedicated staff is what helps BoB to continue to be a 'safe' venue for both Seller and Buyer.

It was 'all on me' for not using 'Mandarin Ivory' in the Title and perhaps being 'clear as mud' (not clarifying / defining what 'Mandarin Ivory' is) in the item description that added to the confusion / concern.

A 'shout out' to Bennet who was most helpful in my being able to 'slap a fix' on the problem.

Ruthie

qball    11
qball
See, you DO care! (Even if probably only for your own safety, but nonetheless you do care about ME!!!!) :nuts:

Please don't tell anyone.... :sneaky:

wayjen    10
wayjen

This sounds like something THE BEAK used to do back in the day.