Sign in to follow this  
voldermort

Help Needed With SmartPhone....

voldermort

Hi all - Jade is wanting to purchase a new smart phone & has limited it down to these three.....

1. Hisense Infinity Pure 1

2. Acer Liquid E3

3. Blackberry Z3

If anyone has/had any of these phones and can offer some advice as to which is the best option, that would be most appreciated. She currently has a Samsung Galaxy Pocket but wants to upgrade because of the small screen size (2 inches) and lag.She is not interested in Samsung Galaxy S4 or S5 as she will be paying cash & would prefer not to spend a small fortune on a phone.

Thanks in advance

Sam

circe

hi

first i would stay away from any blackberry,if it broke u replace it as u cannot find parts easily and if u do it is very expensive. also it looks like the blackberry compony is on its last legs.

on the hisence i cannot give a comment as i did not have it before. i probably willgo for the acer. i cannot comment on the phone but i can tell u that the acer tablet is sofar the best i have used. i am useing it at this moment with no problems.

u can have a look at GSMArena.com - GSM phone reviews, news, opinions, votes, manuals and more... and also search on google for user reviews.

i hope this helps.

frikkie

voldermort

Thanks - I will pass your info on to Jade.

wayjen

Sam, tell my crumpet to do extensive research before choosing a phone and like circe said earlier, use GSMARENA to compare models if you can. I did that when I bought my new phone (well it was a used one off Amazon) but it took me weeks before I decided which one to get and so far so good. make sure the phone and the network are compatible because you don't want a phone that has all the fancy stuff yet your service provider charges extra to use that service or does not have that on their system. You don't want something, where later you regret buying because it is missing something you need.

RISadler
... it took me weeks before I decided which one to get and so far so good.

Gee, I just go to GAME and buy whatever 'phone is on specially for R48 ...

You don't want something, where later you regret buying because it is missing something you need.

Let's see now ... make and receive telephone calls, check; receive the SMS's from the bank, check. Mmmmm.... what else? Oh, a battery that lasts nearly two weeks on standby, check. That's it, done, all I need. And since it only cost R48, warranties and repairs are not an issue ... the phone is more disposable than my underwear ... and cheaper!

wayjen

Let's see now ... make and receive telephone calls, check; receive the SMS's from the bank, check. Mmmmm.... what else? Oh, a battery that lasts nearly two weeks on standby, check. That's it, done, all I need. And since it only cost R48, warranties and repairs are not an issue ... the phone is more disposable than my underwear ... and cheaper!

Don't forget your fancy pouch from the R5 store or was that CHINATOWN to keep it it.

voldermort
Sam, tell my crumpet to do extensive research before choosing a phone and like circe said earlier, use GSMARENA to compare models if you can. I did that when I bought my new phone (well it was a used one off Amazon) but it took me weeks before I decided which one to get and so far so good. make sure the phone and the network are compatible because you don't want a phone that has all the fancy stuff yet your service provider charges extra to use that service or does not have that on their system. You don't want something, where later you regret buying because it is missing something you need.

Crumpet is wanting to maybe buy a Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 Phablet.....its available from Orange at a really good price (so she would have me believe) or a Sony Xperia X Phablet, same price. All of this means absolutely bugger all to me but as crumpet says, it's needed for her work. What do you know/have you heard, of either?

voldermort

I quite agree, I have a Samsung Chat that costs all of R599 new...I can send/receive sms's, make/receive phone calls & log onto Facebook.....battery lasts forever & I am quite happy with it. Smartphones...ppfft, not for me, thanks.

RISadler
Don't forget your fancy pouch from the R5 store or was that CHINATOWN to keep it it.

The "fancy pouch" is a pair of chinos from Woolies.

RISadler
... it's needed for her work.

Ah, then there is definitely a "return on investment" (or RoI) involved, meaning how quickly will this phablet-thing generate the cash to pay for itself. Concepts like loan, interest and agreement come to mind. :twisted:

wayjen
Crumpet is wanting to maybe buy a Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 Phablet.....its available from Orange at a really good price (so she would have me believe) or a Sony Xperia X Phablet, same price. All of this means absolutely bugger all to me but as crumpet says, it's needed for her work. What do you know/have you heard, of either?

Hmmm, I have not heard of them but they seem to be good devices and just by a quick look, I personally would have gone for the Samsung but I am a fan as I already have 3 Samsung devices. Can you get them in South Africa and on what network? I take it it will be on contract?

voldermort
Hmmm, I have not heard of them but they seem to be good devices and just by a quick look, I personally would have gone for the Samsung but I am a fan as I already have 3 Samsung devices. Can you get them in South Africa and on what network? I take it it will be on contract?

No, cash sale..on contract you end up paying more than double...... apparently it is unlocked so can use any network. I think they import them from UK but do have stock here.

voldermort
Ah, then there is definitely a "return on investment" (or RoI) involved, meaning how quickly will this phablet-thing generate the cash to pay for itself. Concepts like loan, interest and agreement come to mind. :twisted:

Hahaha, as I told Wayne, no contracts at all, a simple cash sale. However, will it ever pay for itself? I doubt it as at the beginning of the year a guy Jade works with bought the Samsung Galaxy Mini 4 for +- R10 000 on contract (this was in February) the same phone is now been sold by Orange for R3600......fickle little buggers, these smartphones.

RISadler
... as at the beginning of the year a guy Jade works with bought the Samsung Galaxy Mini 4 for +- R10 000 on contract (this was in February) the same phone is now been sold by Orange for R3600......fickle little buggers, these smartphones.

GULP! Ten grand for a phone? OK, I assume these gadgets can do something besides make and receive calls, right? But ten grand worth of besides? Please assure me it is so!? :sowsuser:

voldermort
GULP! Ten grand for a phone? OK, I assume these gadgets can do something besides make and receive calls, right? But ten grand worth of besides? Please assure me it is so!? :sowsuser:

From what I gather its like a tablet & phone rolled into one - what I dont understand though is when I want to use the pc, I use either the desk top or laptop, when I want to make a phone call I use either a land line or my cell. I realise this may be old fashioned but its served me pretty well all of my years & I have even skipped the entire tablet phase altogether......I dont want or need them to be together (I also dont want/need/or can afford to spend R10 000 to have them together). But as Jade says, when lecturing a class she needs to make notes (hence pc comes in) & she needs to be accessible to students & other lecturers when on campus (hence phone comes in) & it is more convenient than having to carry a lap top & a cell phone (in her opinion)......from my side though, if I spent that amount on a phone I would need it to be so smart it would make me coffee in bed in the mornings.

& another unbelievable fact: if you buy the S4 mini in black it's R3600, but if you buy it in white it's R5400. . . exact same phone, just in a different colour, will cost you R2000 more. . .

RISadler

OK, got it. Problem, with hopefully a solution ... when I really, really, REALLY want to get some work done, I switch off my cellphone. Can you switch off just the phone functionality, whilst keeping the mini-computer/tablet part working?

Just coffee? At least bacon & eggs, with flapjacks! And join Facebook on my behalf.

voldermort
OK, got it. Problem, with hopefully a solution ... when I really, really, REALLY want to get some work done, I switch off my cellphone. Can you switch off just the phone functionality, whilst keeping the mini-computer/tablet part working?

Just coffee? At least bacon & eggs, with flapjacks! And join Facebook on my behalf.

I dont know how contracts work but on prepaid the pc/tablet part is the one you can switch on & off (thats what takes the money anyway) the phone is a permanent on feature unless you switch the entire device off.

Coffee, bacon, eggs, flapjacks, facebook & Bruce Willis...........naked :sneaky:

RISadler
... the phone is a permanent on feature unless you switch the entire device off.

That kind of ruins the device for me.

... & Bruce Willis...........naked :sneaky:

That definitely ruins the thread for me.

circe

that is why i use the acer tablet. i put a sim card in load on a prepaid data bundle on mtn that last me 2 months. when i want internet i just pull the menu down on the top corner and press the connection button to turn it on and off. i use it for my mobile internet. it got everything a laptop have only a longer battery live than a laptop, and have internet at a press of a button.

i just got a samsung s5 phone (very good phone) today that i got on auction on bob after i drowned a s3 with me in the river (blasted fish eagle) :toung:

voldermort
that is why i use the acer tablet. i put a sim card in load on a prepaid data bundle on mtn that last me 2 months. when i want internet i just pull the menu down on the top corner and press the connection button to turn it on and off. i use it for my mobile internet. it got everything a laptop have only a longer battery live than a laptop, and have internet at a press of a button.

i just got a samsung s5 phone (very good phone) today that i got on auction on bob after i drowned a s3 with me in the river (blasted fish eagle) :toung:

Lol, I bet the S3 never even saw that coming :toung: which brand do you prefer/would you recommend, Acer or Samsung....I'm thinking that a phablet may be too large & if she can get a decent smartphone, it would & should work (for her requirements) just as well.

circe

before the unplanned swim with the s3 i run my pottery business with it as it got a phone, internet, email.

the acer tablet is a internet and sms platform with a few apps included. u cannot make any calls on it. but the samsung tablet it has a phone with it, but i what make me go for the acer is the screen side which is a 10.1",that make tipeing on it a pleasure as the keys on the screen is about the halve the size of the screen. u can also get a keybord at a pc shop that u can use on it and the battery live is about 50-60 hours.(+-R450)

on the samsung tablet a few family members have it and every now and then it stop working.then u have to do a rain dance to reset it again. the phone part is also a problem as when u make a call on it, the person on the other side can not hear u probably.

on the samsung galaxy phones i cannot complain as i had a s2, s3 and now a s5.

i recommend the she go and have a look at makro, and test the 1 she like best. there is so many makes and sizes on the market that u have to look at what will work for u. also get a memory card as big as what it can handle. 16 gig internal can and will fill up fast. and also insure it as the 5 finger shoppers like to borrow it. on the tablet the insurance work out about R60 per month.

u can also have a look at the samsung note 3/4 phone as it was a strong contrender to the S5 for me.

ps. i still blame the fish eagle for the unplanned swim in the freezing river and for building a nesting site in a tree a kilometer from my home and making me go there to take a pic of it sitting in the nest and looking at me as i step on a wet spot on the riverbank and slipping in the freezing water. did i mention that the water was cold?