Sign in to follow this  
jogesel

Watch prices and advertsing

jogesel

I noticed the listing below

Men's Watches - Welder by U-boat K24 Automatic Stainless Steel Mens Watch K24-3002 for sale in Johannesburg (ID:157949425)

Wenger watch for sale for R 11 345.00

My first concern is that the advertisement is misleading. Seller says "Wenger by UBoat". UBoat is not a watch manufaturer but a brand of watch made by Ital Fontana. Wenger is made by the same company but is of lesser quality. It appears to me that seller is attempting to equate Wenger watches with UBoat watches. Wenger watches are definitely not of the same quality as UBoat watches.

My second concern is the price. A quick Google search shows that the Wenger K24 range can be bought in South Africa from about R 7 000. That's quite a difference from R 11 345.

Perhaps many people may not know but for such a watch you are actually paying for the name and style and not the quality. As far as I am aware these watches although highly priced have no special mechanical movements in them. Most use a generic ETA or Japanese Myota movement which can be found in much lesser watches priced watches.

zerohour
I noticed the listing below

Men's Watches - Welder by U-boat K24 Automatic Stainless Steel Mens Watch K24-3002 for sale in Johannesburg (ID:157949425)

Wenger watch for sale for R 11 345.00

My first concern is that the advertisement is misleading. Seller says "Wenger by UBoat". UBoat is not a watch manufaturer but a brand of watch made by Ital Fontana. Wenger is made by the same company but is of lesser quality. It appears to me that seller is attempting to equate Wenger watches with UBoat watches. Wenger watches are definitely not of the same quality as UBoat watches.

My second concern is the price. A quick Google search shows that the Wenger K24 range can be bought in South Africa from about R 7 000. That's quite a difference from R 11 345.

Perhaps many people may not know but for such a watch you are actually paying for the name and style and not the quality. As far as I am aware these watches although highly priced have no special mechanical movements in them. Most use a generic ETA or Japanese Myota movement which can be found in much lesser watches priced watches.

Hi

You got it wrong...its not a Wenger it's Welder :) i do agree they are over priced...Uboat and Welder are designed by Italo Fontana..a cheaper version of uboat..with a cheaper movement ect..like Tudor and Rolex

Edited by zerohour

mrmouse
Hi

You got it wrong...its not a Wenger it's Welder :) i do agree they are over priced...Uboat and Welder are designed by Italo Fontana..a cheaper version of uboat..with a cheaper movement ect..like Tudor and Rolex

The retail price is but a number , I land things at a cheaper price than X so my price is different to X price , I see things imported from USA at R500 when XYZ at he shopping centre sells it for R150 . I fly goods in from the West Coast it costs me more than the East coast so the recommended price will be higher irrespective if its the same product or not . Recommended retail is but a suck of thumb and should be taken as such .

jogesel

Sorry Welder not Wenger. Thinking too much about Arsenal FC and their manager. I do understand a mark up, import duties etc and have no problem with these but sure these costs can't increase a product by nearly 100%.

mrmouse

One of my suppliers imports from the manufacturer in the UK , he lands the item at R37. I bring the same part in from the manufacturers distribution centre in USA , I land it at R8.00 , unfortunately he has to use the UK , I dont.Some things that I buy from the manufacurer in USA , I ship from Estonia because it save freight , its cheaper from EUU than USA , but I still pay the USA supplier in dollars .it all boils down to logistics and GREED with some suppliers , I use forwarders from the USA because they are around 60percent cheaper than local forwarders .