Sign in to follow this  
RISadler

New server ... confused.

RISadler

It has been over eight years since I left the IT business and/or bought a new computer. My servers are slowly failing, with the others having to pick up the slack ... but now I am down to one. Definitely time to invest in a new server or two, but I have absolutely no clue regarding the products available.

Requirements aren't big in the processing scene, but dual processors were nice in the past. (My current lonely-only is a Pentium 4 single processor machine running at 2.4GHz, but my old machine with dual 600MHz Pentium 3's outperformed it hands down on raw computational power!) About 2GB of memory is enough, but expansion to 4 or 8 must be possible at a later stage. The ability to use parity-bit memory would be nice, if it is still used these days.

IMPORTANT: Storage capacity is very important. The current machine has 7 drives (a mixture of IDE and SATA, with the latter through an expansion card), with most at 65% capacity or more. I always run at least RAID 1 (using md), so heaps of SATA connections of the current version is imperative. True hardware RAID would be nice, but "on-board" software RAID doesn't compare to md. But do you still get it, like the old Adaptec SCSI cards? Anyway, let's make the minimum requirement eight SATA connections ... for future growth.

So, what do you suggest I look at ...

mrmouse
Western digital make some nice small units , I used one for around 4 years with 4 , 2tb hard drives eventually , worked very fast , and is silent , and the size of a small bread tin.with usb and hot swappable .

RISadler

Is that just a storage unit or a full server?

mrmouse

depends how much you want to spend , ,storage and server ds51oo model with server software.used a 4000 first was also good but lightning got psu and fried m/board..

Network Storage Solutions Overview

Edited by mrmouse

RISadler

Nice solution. However, I always use Gentoo Linux for the OS and I would like to migrate some of my existing drives over to the new server.

mrmouse

Then look for a nice AMD dual processor m/Board Atom processors ,( light on power around 35 watts at full steam ) quite , processor is embedded , and build a system from there , these days to run a 6gig processor at 250 watts idling just isnt on anymore , they can handle RAID , ( some of them ) and most have provision for at least 4-6 hard drives , a standard case will house 4-6 HD units with ease and a good 1200 watt evercool PSU should suffice , no keyboard or peripherals needed once online ,no hot swappable but im sure for a home application isnt needed ,and a spare cheap psu can be put away just for incase .I find the AMD boards are the most stable boards with Linux .a good psu will adjust according to load and not dim the lights during standby , fans also auto adjust speed if needed , my amd machine sits above the workbench and is absolutely silent any fan noise would drive me mad , db at 1 metre is -10 in the room , its clinical.Just make sure the board can be extended with ethernet adaptors etc , most of the slimline units cannot .

Edited by mrmouse

RISadler
Then look for a nice AMD dual processor m/Board Atom processors ,( light on power around 35 watts at full steam ) quite , processor is embedded

I'd appreciate a point in said direction, as I couldn't find any at my usual haunts. BTW, it seems that running dual and quad processors is out. It's all about "cores" now. Bummer! The old days were better ... bought a dual-processor board and only added the second processor when the need (and dinero) arrived. Now you must pick the cores from the start and chuck the whole processor unit if you want more cores.

and build a system from there

That was my general plan, but all the different processors just confuses the smileys out of me. FM2 ... AM3+ ... and the current plethora of Pentiums.

I find the AMD boards are the most stable boards with Linux

Always used Intel stuff ... right from the 8088 up to the XEON's of just before I "retired" from the industry. OK, not entirely true ... the 386's of back then were actually manufactured by AMD. Never really got the feel for AMD ... basically because Intel mainboards were just better and couldn't run AMD processors!

a good psu will adjust according to load and not dim the lights during standby , fans also auto adjust speed if needed

The lonely-only has an APC Smart-UPS 2200 (with brand new batteries) all to itself.

Just make sure the board can be extended with ethernet adaptors etc , most of the slimline units cannot .

Yip, for extra SATA controllers and bonded ethernet cards ... whoo-hoo!!!

mrmouse
Something like ** Motherboards - E35M1-M PRO - ASUS ** would actually work. Wonder if one can get them here in SA?

or just a good old P3 dual processor at 133 mhz :toung: , my pastel runs fine on it.:grin:

RISadler
or just a good old P3 dual processor at 133 mhz :toung: , my pastel runs fine on it.:grin:

I have considered recapping my old ASUS P2B-DS board (for dual Pentium 3's at 600MHz), but the actual limitation is with the harddrives ... too bad one doesn't get SCSI to SATA converters (well, affordable AND here in SA). Sure, I could slap in a couple of PCI SATA controllers for heaps of 3TB drives, but the system can't boot off them. I wonder if a small solid state drive (64GB) with an IDE to SATA converter would work ... it'll be great for the "system" drive AND be within the 137GB limitation of the 440BX chipset. Only they're so darn expensive!

mrmouse
Something like ** Motherboards - E35M1-M PRO - ASUS ** would actually work. Wonder if one can get them here in SA?
the 350 processor is a gem for its size , i prefer the msi boards they run seemingly cooler , ive had issues with others ,amd embedded systems and graphics are leaders as is board speed ,only problem is adding things , to go scuzi these days is a waste drives are very fast and efficient now, 20 000 rpm not needed for a small system ,you need a small energy efficient unit that sits in the cupboard and idles away with no noise or heat ,

mrmouse
I have considered recapping my old ASUS P2B-DS board (for dual Pentium 3's at 600MHz), but the actual limitation is with the harddrives ... too bad one doesn't get SCSI to SATA converters (well, affordable AND here in SA). Sure, I could slap in a couple of PCI SATA controllers for heaps of 3TB drives, but the system can't boot off them. I wonder if a small solid state drive (64GB) with an IDE to SATA converter would work ... it'll be great for the "system" drive AND be within the 137GB limitation of the 440BX chipset. Only they're so darn expensive!

Boot off usb',a p3 at 600 mhz and a 733 processors dual processor will knock many small servers for a loop , if you can tolerate the fan noise that is ,and will run at around 160 watts constantly 'thats 90 kw per month , nope too much, a new board with standarc sata 6 would be my choice

Edited by mrmouse

RISadler
i prefer the msi boards they run seemingly cooler , ive had issues with others

I'll have a gander at their offerings.

amd embedded systems and graphics are leaders as is board speed

Speed and graphics is not that big an issue, especially since the system will be running without KVM attached.

only problem is adding things

Yip.

to go scuzi these days is a waste drives are very fast and efficient now, 20 000 rpm not needed for a small system

I meant that the ASUS P2B-DS has an onboard SCSI controller ... waste not, want not.

you need a small energy efficient unit that sits in the cupboard and idles away with no noise or heat ,

Not really ... I need storage capacity and decent processing power for databases, audio conversion, etc. I like to off-load time consuming jobs on the Linux box (that was boxes) and then get on with whatever I'm doing on the ol' laptop (usually playing Civ2).

RISadler
Boot off usb

No can do with the P2B-DS ... only IDE, SCSI, floppy, LAN or ZIP. Besides, it has only two external USB (version 1) ports.

a p3 at 600 mhz and a 733 processors dual processor will knock many small servers for a loop

True.

a new board with standarc sata 6 would be my choice

Mine as well, which is why I'm asking.

mrmouse
MSI ... I wonder if these are available here in SA?

MSI Global MS-91F7

Holy Underwear!!!! Look at this ... MSI Global MS-S0981 Series(H87 SKU)

there you go ,but not embedded, need a processor and fan.both very nice , but will be pricey.

Edited by mrmouse

mrmouse

very nice ,both,now to find them......

RISadler
there you go

Nope. Not going anywhere. Completely stalled. A preliminary search indicates these boards are not sold here in South Africa. So, right back to square zero.

but will be pricey.

Not if the new server lasts 10 years or more ... OK, I ain't paying THAT MUCH for a Xeon processor.

mrmouse

Also looks like a good buy , i still am a fan of embedded technology , as in the WD units , a one in box solution , no fiddling needed , although its allways nice to fit that processor and clip the fan in and break the M Board :worried:

RISadler
i still am a fan of embedded technology , as in the WD units , a one in box solution , no fiddling needed

Agreed. I cut my teeth on 386's that booted through the LAN ... using good ol' NetWare. But unfortunately the two of us aren't big enough of a market for them to import those boards on a serious level. Really can't understand it, because a basically fanless system with an SSD is the perfect "workstation" for businesses (basic accounting/POS).

OK, now for the next challenge ... the case to put it all in. :sowsuser: