Sign in to follow this  
foxmulder2007

Post Office strike, ...again

Free Soul Styles
It is the one in Pick&Pay, used to be called Berco. Just keep in mind they do not offer insurance on parcels.

http://www.aramex.co.za/media/uploads/aramexdropboxdomesticfaqs.pdf

I've seen it at my local P'nP. I don't mind if it's with no insurance. Still better than having to wait for post office to sort their issues out, and better than Speed Services.

Edited by Free Soul Styles

Vegar

Contact numbers for info on postal strike

The minister of Telecommunications and Postal services - Dr. Siyabonga Cwele - can be contacted at:

Tel: 012 - 427 8511

Fax: 012 362 6915

Email: ministry@dtps.gov.za

Address by the Honourable Minister of Telecommunications and Postal Services, Dr Siyabonga Cwele,

on the occasion of the 5th National Congress of the Communication Workers Union (CWU),

White River, Mpumalanga Province, 22nd– 26th September 2014

.... We remain concerned about the State of the Post Office. You will be aware of the ongoing disruptions to the service delivery that is eroding the trust people place on the Post Office. A comrade there has just been too many dilapidating strikes and disruptions that will affect the viability of the Post Office going forward. Right now the Post Office is undergoing a serious financial crisis whose resolution must be attended to as a matter of urgency. We are overseeing the development of a turn-around strategy which we hope will return the Post Office to a sound footing. We are in discussion with the National Treasury on measures to be taken to address the financial crisis and the question of the subsidy for postal services in the rural areas. Comrades I cannot stress more the need for us to join hands and work together to resolve the problems. In the recent discussions I had with the different unions represented in the Post Office I was heartened to hear that we all regard the Post Office as “Our Post Office”. This approach must be now translated to us working together to save what is in essence our collective Post Office.

We as government are exploring many avenues to use the Post Office more for government services including the delivery of grants and using the Post Office in the future as places where people will access online government services. But again all this can be done if and if people have confidence in the Post Office to deliver the services. Imagine what would happen if grants for the elderly are to be provided by the Post Office only to find the Post Office on strike at every time the grants must be accessed. This would not be fair to the elderly and counter productive to the efforts to make services easier to access. Yes there are challenges at Board level in terms of overseeing the Post Office. There are also evident managerial problems and it would seem that there is a culture of no consequences for managerial inaction or mismanagement. These issues will be addressed as a matter of urgency because irrespective of what the Turn-Around Plan says, it cannot succeed if there is no effective oversight, if there is no effective management and if the labour relations environment is so hostile as to produce strikes at every turn. I urge you comrades to join hands with us as we work the Post Office out of the present state.

Vegar

News 24 the latest on the strike:

SA Post Office feels financial squeeze | Fin24

From Friday on PO facebook page:

Operations are back to normal at the Durban mail centre today. Industrial action there was suspended after talks between management and labour unions.

Witspos mail centre is operating at roughly 40% capacity. Germiston mail centre was also operational, but again not at full capacity.

Tshwane Mail is unfortunately not accessible and remains closed.

Operations in Cape Town have resumed but again, the mail centre is not yet working at full capacity.

The Post Office will continue with efforts to keep operations going and to normalise relations between the company and its employees.

I N Collectables
I'm going to give them a try.... Does anyone have any experience with them?

I've used them a couple times, they're really efficient and cost effective!

meeks
I've used them a couple times, they're really efficient and cost effective!

How's this for services by Aramex;! Our local Pick 'n Pay have run out of sleeves, I phone Aramex to query when sleeves would be re-stocked,and I am told a driver will bring sleeves to me,wait for me to fill in the particulars required on the waybill, and take my parcels back with him for delivery.

I do realize not all buyers will opt for the courier option, but this is excellent for those who do.

Colin_P

I just spoke to the post master at the local post office. He can't even get deliveries of stamps and envelopes anymore. And I discovered that by being patient waiting for a parcel I've now lost the chance to claim off their insurance, as more than 30 days has passed since it was posted. So it's back to just waiting and hoping it arrives one day.

NooNooBug

I have looked at the little Aramex box at P n P but my sceptical mind says how do you proove you put it in there if no person signs and accepts it ? How do I know they have received it etc etc ! Have to still get my mind round it all ! Have spent the weekend emailing couriers and am waiting for all the replies. My problem is the people that live in the sticks, it gets very expensive...I live in the bush but can make a trip to town to drop off parcels but thats as much as I can do. Will see what comes back...so have to kick SAPO, its time !

Free Soul Styles

I've dropped my courier to R65.00 via The Courier Guy. They collect and deliver fast. I've never had problems with them. Hopefully that will help my buyers out a little and keep my sales up. My Pick n' Pay is slightly useless.

EcigSmokeOnline
I've dropped my courier to R65.00 via The Courier Guy. They collect and deliver fast. I've never had problems with them. Hopefully that will help my buyers out a little and keep my sales up. My Pick n' Pay is slightly useless.

Do they (The Courier Guy) cover the whole of SA?

Free Soul Styles

As far as i know, yes. Main cities etc are cheaper than small town/rural areas. But they also do international mail. That's expensive. I've never had a problem sending stuff anywhere is SA, at least not yet. But to small towns can take a bit longer as they only go to the smaller areas once or twice a week. From my own experience with them, i must say that i prefer them to Fastway and Speed Services.

My issue with Fastway is that they deliver to few areas and they collect late from me. If i have a parcel for them to collect from the night before, they only collect around 12pm the next day, whereas if i book with The Courier Guy they collect 9:30am, or earlier.

And Speed Services has a reputation of stealing way too much stuff from me in the past. At my local PO it's become a huge problem. So i refuse to deal with them at all.

Edited by Free Soul Styles

EcigSmokeOnline

I did have a look at their website, they do show prepaid and a min balance that have to be paid for service etc but I can't see any rates they charge. What can I expect to pay for say a A4 parcel with a weight of 1 kg or how do they charge for deliveries?

Free Soul Styles

It depends on the area. I would say local parcels up to 1kg is from R55.00 area depending. National R65.00 up and rural areas are up to R120.00. International is a R600.00 up. You can give them a call and get their price list if you want. Or i can email it to you, i think i have a copy in my office. I can send it to you in the AM.

EcigSmokeOnline

Yes please email to me....I am not sure if I can post my email address here:sneaky:

Free Soul Styles

You can send me a private message :grin:

EcigSmokeOnline

Okay, will do. Thanks:idea:

YiaYia1

Don't know if if must see the accusation as a joke "my parcel not received yet after a month. The Post Office is not striking" Do people really go through life with no knowledge of what is going on around them

Not1CentMore
Do people really go through life with no knowledge of what is going on around them

Yeah, they do... at least this side. Seems to be more and more every day. No longer worried about alien invasion - they are already here :grin:.

Ruthie

Just Beachin

I posted a package, 27 Sept, to Cornelia (Free State) from Durban, and it was scanned through Bloem this morning, I am being selective in posting, after all I have about 12+ stuck in the system in Gauteng, but showing some things are moving...and the SAPO Customer Service Track and Trace operator actually answered the phone today!:grin:

NooNooBug

An hr ago on their FB Page

Some post offices in and in Polokwane have been closed for the safety of our customers and employees, following intimidation and threats of violence - we apologise for the inconvenience. They are

Polokwane North

Polokwane

Polokwane South

Superbia

Westerberg

Ladanna

BendorPark

Apel

Atok-\

Lebowakgomo

Seshego

Madiba Park

Mmotong

Mphahlele

Cheunespoort

Sovenga

Paledi

Solomondale-

NooNooBug

I also see under comments that the list of Johannesburg & surrounds PO's that are closed was removed ! Apparently many still remain closed !

foxmulder2007

As per sapo communique :

2 October 2014

The purpose of this letter is to update you on the unprotected industrial action in the SA Post Office.

We are happy to report that Witspos, our biggest mail centre, is operational although not at full capacity. Mail is once again flowing from the mail centre to other centres and customers.

After a brief strike at the Durmail sorting centre in Durban, employees returned to work and mail services in KwaZulu-Natal are back to normal. CapeMail in Cape Town is also operational, but not yet at optimal capacity.

Unfortunately, two smaller sorting centres, Polokwane and Bloemfontein, are currently not operational. We are bypassing these centres when delivering mail to smaller towns in their catchment areas.

Discussions with labour organisations continue and we are involving the Department of Telecommunications and Postal Services in the process. It is too soon, however, to predict when the industrial action will end.

...and yet somehow I don't feel reassured:suspicious:

Aaand in related news : Just heard that supposedly the unions have asked the Government to intervene, and replace the entire sapo management.

Vinyl Lady Decals

Well, Durban hub is definitely not up and running as previously reported by SAPO. They are still not collecting or delivering any parcels to my post office and my postmistress advised me that it is still not a good idea to do any postage.

bellemodel

BEE lieg soos hulle pap eet