Sign in to follow this  
foxmulder2007

Post Office strike, ...again

Free Soul Styles

I'm not 100% on this, but the lady at my local post office has said that they might even close down the Witspos Hub because ex staff are threatening to burn it down... As i said, not too sure about this, but she seemed pretty convinced

foxmulder2007

This was just added to the sapo facebook page:

Industrial action update

A total of 473 casual and part-time employees that embarked on an illegal strike have been dismissed, on 19 August 2014, following their refusal to heed calls to return to their posts. The illegal strike was predominantly concentrated in the Tshwane and East Rand areas of the SA Post Office’s operations. Currently, elements within the dismissed former employees have embarked in sporadic incidents of intimidation towards the SA Post Office’s current employees, specifically in the Tshwane area, and these incidents are impacting operations negatively. We have reinforced our security measures in these affected areas to ensure employee safety and return operations to full capacity, including the safety of property. Customers in the affected areas should expect delays in the delivery of mail and parcels until operations are back to full capacity, and also until the backlog caused by the strike is managed out.

Still doesn't help much as we still dont know when operations will resume as per 'normal':blink1:

NOt sure if this news counts as progress. The post office still aren't accepting parcels though.

Not1CentMore

Reminds me of two-year-old children who, when they don't get their way, throw a temper tantrum, breaking anything / everything that is in their 'path'. Just like these two-year-olds, these employees / former employees should have their drillies dropped and receive a sound smacking to their backsides. The 3-B's... if there is enough of an impact on the buttocks that it registers in the brain, there will be a change in behavior.

Yeah, I am 'old school'.

Ruthie

MiemsJewels

idavorster (73 Rating score between 50 and 99)

Rating: 100.00% positive ratings

Because of the postal strike 56 ( when I counted a few minutes ago) NEUTRAL ratings were given to Sellers.

Ek maak ten sterkste beswaar ! Admin please look into this matter. Thank you !

Free Soul Styles

That's a bit unfair....

And on one she replies " I receive emails daily to rate the sellers. I can not rate until I receive the items purchased. Therefore neutral rating." Kind of funny that she "cannot rate" until she gets the parcel, but goes and rates neutral anyways...

I get the frustration. I've been waiting 3 weeks now for a parcel. But i cannot blame the seller. She posted the item 2 days after i paid. She did her job in reasonable time.

Free Soul Styles

Another story. I use Primrose Hill post office. The lady there is all alone (it's a very small place), she had the doors locked and lights off because the Primrose post office had to close as the people striking were grabbing the still employed staff and removing their clothes. Another story was that they tried to burn a truck that was on its way to witspos... Full of outgoing parcels.

Edited by Free Soul Styles

XTRADE

I can feel lots of bad ratings coming up. My first negative from the Postal strike received yesterday. Its lovely.

I try and explain to buyers the issue at hand. Also in my shipping terms its clear there is a strike and that if a customer is in a hurry they should choose the Courier option. But as we have seen in the years on Bidorbuy people don't read. They assume things. Hurry through checkout without properly reading what needs to be read. To top it all off the items I have sent does not show on the Track and Trace system. So frustrating. Even though it is clear in my shipping terms about the strike I am getting mails that says. Please cancel the order and refund me ASAP. Why is my parcel not moving. Why is it taking so long. Now I am wrapping up the parcels and stock piling them in my store room. They are not accepting any parcels at my Post office anymore. The other 3 in the area have been closed for a week now. Its driving me insane.

YiaYia1

A truck was also destroyed in Braamfontein. Buyers are getting upset because parcels not getting to the destination.

Maybe a general note could be placed on Selling Page about SAPO strike?

YiaYia1

Have the same problem. Further more I can only use SAPO method. Live in a small town 65km from nearest courier services. BOB listed you under closest big town. They should list you under the exact town.

If I posted the items within 24hours after payment has been confirmed, only an unreasonable buyer can blame you for the strike and rate you negatively. If the rating is negative only because of the non delivery, BOB should remove the rating on the seller's request

qball

It is not bob policy to remove negative ratings to sellers re: postal issues, including strikes.

YiaYia1

Was just a suggestion:bigsmile:

Not1CentMore
It is not bob policy to remove negative ratings to sellers re: postal issues, including strikes.

With all due respect to BoB's policies, I can understand and appreciate this being the rule under 'normal' circumstances. When, however, there is a strike / extended strike and Sellers find themselves at the hands (or should I say negative ratings) of Buyers who 'just don't get it', I would hope there is a little 'wiggle room' for Sellers to appeal the negative rating.

If, for example, a Seller scans the shipping label and sends to Buyer, via email (hey, it is ready to ship but my Post Office is not accepting parcels) or scans the receipt showing parcel has been deposited with SAPO and because of the failure of SAPO to do it's job (scan and 'send it on down the line' for delivery) then, IMHO, it is not the fault of the Seller. They have done everything expected of them. And then to be penalized with a negative rating that is allowed to 'stand'.... doesn't seem 'fair'. (Again, I do not mean to disrespect BoB's rules and regulations.)

Short of that, and I know it is against BoB's policy to do so, Sellers may elect to delete winning bids on auctions that close on any given day. A few pennies profit isn't worth one :mad: let alone 'character assassination' from multiple negatives through no fault of their own.

I have two closing tomorrow. I am 'scared poopless' to ship to SA and, fingers crossed, hope my Buyers allow me the courtesy of waiting until the 'hoopla' with SAPO has 'come to a screeching halt' before I post.

Ruthie

Reynet Trading

September 4 2014 at 08:59am

Senior executives at the South African Post Office have been branded "a bunch of incompetent and greedy fat cats". File photo: Masi Losi

Johannesburg - Senior executives at the South African Post Office (Sapo) have been branded “a bunch of incompetent and greedy fat cats” fiddling around while the entity continues to crumble.

As Sapo reels from a fresh wave of crippling strikes, The Star has seen documents appearing to show that the entity blew R2.1 billion of taxpayers’ money in irregular expenditure in the past financial year alone.

The financial losses were as a result of the irregular awarding of tenders.

A draft independent audit report for the financial year ending May 31, 2014, by auditing firms Deloitte & Touche and Nkonki appears to show that the organisation is haemorrhaging millions of rand in public funds.

“During the current year, management completed a full review of all procurement contracts, which resulted in the identification of irregular expenditure amounting to R2.1bn,” the report reads in part.

The audit outcome is contained in Sapo’s integrated 2013/14 annual report, which was due to be submitted to Telecommunications and Postal Services Minister Siyabonga Cwele last Friday.

The 190-page report does not specify the exact details of the tender irregularities, but states that the financial losses were incurred as a result of “non-compliance with the mandatory Treasury regulations”.

It states that the Post Office did not follow the mandatory tender procedures and that pricing and quotations were not done when procuring goods and services.

The report paints a grim picture of an ailing organisation hamstrung by mismanagement, incompetence, and weak and chaotic control systems.

It shows, among others, that the Post Office:

* Recorded a net loss of more than R361 million in the year under consideration.

* Spent R184m on the use of external consultants.

* Spent R39.6m on legal costs.

* Spent R114m on travel expenses, including overseas trips.

* Recorded a net loss of R361.2m after tax – representing an increase of 59 percent from the previous year.

The report appears to show that Sapo is currently operating on an overdraft of R250m, but sources dispute this figure and put the amount at R365m.

They alleged that the parastatal had since used the employees’ funds to redress the overdraft. They said this decision “is atrocious because the pension fund is sacrosanct”.

Crucially, the organisation is also struggling to fulfil its mandate. “Of the total number of 55 targets planned for the year under review, 31 were achieved. This represents 56 percent of the total planned targets.”

High-placed sources within Sapo accused the board of running down the entity by using it as their cash cow.

“The Post Office is run by bunch of incompetent and greedy fat cats only interested in lining their pockets. It’s time the government intervened to stop this rot,” one source said.

Another source said: “When these guys were appointed, they were tasked with developing a turnaround strategy. After two years, that remains a mere draft.

“How do you (expect that) they deliver on a basic task while they draw hefty salaries and allowances?”

Sapo staff have also blamed the problems at the entity on the “sheer incompetence” of its executive board members.

The staff, who are familiar with the board and spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisal, accused the executives of using the Sapo as a cash cow for self-enrichment.

“Most of the executive board members have no relevant qualification or experience whatsoever. How do you justify their suitability for such key positions when they can’t even work out a turnaround strategy?” asked one staff member.

He said the executives had been tasked with developing Sapo’s turnaround strategy two years ago, but had failed to deliver on that task.

A special investigation announced in March is also probing “allegations of irregularities relating to the recruitment, selection and appointment of officials or employees as well as payments made by Sapo to fictitious officials or employees”.

Sapo staff accused the board of wasting funds through fruitless meetings.

“They duplicate and prolong meetings, some of which only last for 30 minutes while they claim allowances in full.

“Meetings have become a day-to-day feature, but they are nothing more than talk shops to line the executives’ pockets,” said another employee.

The employees pointed their fingers at Sapo’s chief executive Christopher Hlekane, alleging he “epitomised the worst kind of incompetence”.

“The Post Office has, under his leadership, stumbled from one crisis to another. It’s almost a matter of time before services collapse.

“If we were a private entity, we would have been liquidated,” said another staff member.

Hlekane was appointed chief executive in 2011, replacing Motshoanetse Lefoka, who was axed after a R425 million lease scandal. The staff questioned why Hlekane and other executives were drawing “hefty” salaries when the entity was running at a loss.

“These executives, especially the chief executive, get paid an astronomical salary when the Post Office is not making any profit.”

Documents that The Star has seen indicate Hlekane earns an annual salary of R2.8m plus R264 000 in pension fund benefits, bringing his total to R3m.

Sources also questioned Sapo’s decision to sponsor the Nelson Mandela Day Marathon to the tune of R800 000 while the organisation was leaking public funds.

The marathon, held last week, was organised by the Umgungundlovu District Municipality in Pietermaritzburg. The Star has seen documents confirming Sapo was a sponsor.

“What is the rationale for channelling millions of rand into it while Sapo is bleeding funds and failing to meet its targets?” asked another source.

The staff allege Hlekane and some executives are abusing their powers by employing their cronies.

They accuse Hlekane of appointing a man, alleged to be his pal, to a key strategic executive position in his office.

The exact position and name of the executive are known to The Star, but have been withheld for legal reasons.

It was reported last year that Hlekane had appointed former Ekurhuleni municipal official Miyelani Holeni as an executive despite a pending investigation of corruption against him. Holeni has since left Sapo.

Staff accused other executives of abusing their powers by sexually harassing junior female colleagues.

The Star has learnt that Sapo is investigating multiple cases of sexual harassment against one of its executives.

The charges were instituted after several staff members laid complaints against him.

Repeated attempts to obtain comment from Sapo and Hlekane were unsuccessful.

Hlekane asked The Star to send him a note with queries, but he had not responded to the questions emailed to him at the time of publication.

Colin_P

Are any parcels moving, or is it just mine that seem to be languishing in small towns in the middle of no-where?

NooNooBug
Are any parcels moving, or is it just mine that seem to be languishing in small towns in the middle of no-where?

No it's not all about you Colin (hehehe) ! Not much movement I am afraid and what is most annoying is not much scanning so can't even see what is happening ! Lets hope it starts moving again shortly as buyers are getting antsy !

XTRADE

The amount of emails I now get regarding the parcels that was already handed in 3 weeks ago and still stuck in the system is slowly getting to me. I can understand the frustration the buyers sits with especially the ones that bought something for someone as a gift.

To major centers its not expensive to courier items to. But as soon as people stay in small towns and so on where 70% of my customers stay it is very expensive to courier to them. This strike is affecting sales and the negatives we all are going to receive will also affect sales. I see a couple of my buyers seems to think I work at the Post office as well.

mrmouse

Aramex bag to door R100 , from any Pick n Pay ,, Post net to Postnet R99 for up to 5 kg , there is no reason to use the Post Office anymore , Courier It R85 door to door .

YiaYia1

My nearest town with a post net is 55 km. Cost to take a parcel to your nearest post net will be to costly. Buyers will then report sellers again non stop.

voldermort

Heard via grapevine (not sure if true or not) that striking postal workers are also burning items.

Colin_P

I just received one of the two parcels I've been waiting for, although the tracking still shows it as being at the accepting branch in PE.

moodTime

Apparently according to a SABC Radio report strike is officially over, lets just hope so....

arriwyks

I was at the Arcadia Branch this morning, and they are still closed, same notice on the door. I guess they didn't see the SABC report.

arriwyks
I was at the Arcadia Branch this morning, and they are still closed, same notice on the door. I guess they didn't see the SABC report.

On-going Post Office strike to cause further delays

SABC

The Post Office says customers should expect further delays in the delivery of mail and parcels in Gauteng due to an on-going strike.

Part-time employees embarked on an illegal strike last month demanding salary increases.

The strike by Post Office workers in Gauteng is reported to be affecting customers in other parts of the country.

The Post Office has been hit by a series of strikes since the beginning of this year. The continuous industrial actions have resulted in a loss of revenue of up to R71 million so far.

Last month, the post office dismissed 473 casual and part-time employees who refused to return to work after they embarked on an illegal strike.

The illegal strike was concentrated mainly in Tshwane and on the East Rand. The post office says elements within the dismissed former employees have embarked in sporadic incidents of intimidation to their current employees.

Post Office property has also been damaged. It says it has reinforced its security measures in affected areas.

moodTime
On-going Post Office strike to cause further delays

SABC

The Post Office says customers should expect further delays in the delivery of mail and parcels in Gauteng due to an on-going strike.

Part-time employees embarked on an illegal strike last month demanding salary increases.

The strike by Post Office workers in Gauteng is reported to be affecting customers in other parts of the country.

The Post Office has been hit by a series of strikes since the beginning of this year. The continuous industrial actions have resulted in a loss of revenue of up to R71 million so far.

Last month, the post office dismissed 473 casual and part-time employees who refused to return to work after they embarked on an illegal strike.

The illegal strike was concentrated mainly in Tshwane and on the East Rand. The post office says elements within the dismissed former employees have embarked in sporadic incidents of intimidation to their current employees.

Post Office property has also been damaged. It says it has reinforced its security measures in affected areas.

This was yesterdays news article, apparently a meeting was held today at 10ish which yielded some positive results but there is a 4 week backlog now that needs to be cleared. It was a SABC radio news piece, can anyone confirm?