Sign in to follow this  
foxmulder2007

Post Office strike, ...again

foxmulder2007

Received this communique from sapo this morning :

25 November 2014

Dear customer

We are pleased to inform you that the strike at the SA Post Office has been called off

and that more than 98% of employees have returned to work.

Operations are on track and we have put all possible measures in place to work off the

backlog as quickly as possible and will deliver the backlog within 17 days, starting

today. Our goal is to deliver the backlog before the start of the holiday season.

The only area in which mail delivery is not running smoothly is Soweto, where Post

Office facilities were severely damaged. These facilities are being repaired, as are the

14 post offices in the Witwatersrand area that had to be closed after they were badly

vandalised. The impact of this cannot be denied, but it should be seen against the fact

that there are more than 200 post office outlets in the area.

Meanwhile, the SA Post Office is making progress towards developing a practical plan

to turn around the organisation, following the appointment of Dr Simo Lushaba as

administrator.

The plan includes both financial sustainability and labour stability. Once that has been

achieved, we will focus on developing and refining our services to make sure we deliver

the service you, our customer, deserves.

I would like to sincerely thank you for your patience and understanding during this very

difficult time. As always, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have specific

requests regarding your mail.

Yours sincerely

NooNooBug
Received this communique from sapo this morning :

Hahaha thanx for the laugh ! deliver backlog in 17 days ! that is sooo funny !

Just Beachin

Ha ha ha , I am killing myself about the joke of "contact me" ha ha hee hee.......whew that's a good one!

Edited by Just Beachin

republikein

My local post office has been locked with a big chain for the last few days - no access to post boxes either. All due to non-payment of rent by the post office. Can you believe this!? On of the consequences of the strike.

bellemodel
The PO has introduced a new software programme to register parcels. Watch out that you don't get overcharged as I was today. I paid about double to what I normally pay and when checking the account afterwards, was charged R47.20, R42.20 many times for eco parcels that should be charged R22.80. So the software is experiencing teething problems, check before you pay!

I had the same problem in Pretoria, Sunnyside. Not teething problems; they have to make up for what they lost during the strike.

bellemodel

I have succeeded to eliminate the post office completely:

I closed savings account, my po box, rerouted all snail mail to email and use private couriers.

F**K the post office.

Jongleur
Strike season normally ends in November anyway. Leaves a bit of time before "Krimas". The season then re-opens in Feb / March. This year should be no different.

So was mine. Do we win a prize ?

medley

SAPO took a hard punch last year, not sure if they will survive this time. Maybe it's time for them to close down.

mrmouse
SAPO took a hard punch last year, not sure if they will survive this time. Maybe it's time for them to close down.

I just recieved an international parcel that cleared on 30/10/2014 . efficiency at its best.It never once showed on tracking from that date .

medley
I just recieved an international parcel that cleared on 30/10/2014 . efficiency at its best.It never once showed on tracking from that date .

Eish...:weird:

Little Miss Muffet

I have noticed a big drop in sales to users up North where the Post Office strikes are more prevalent

I would say 70% of my sales came from users in these areas and now it is more like 30%. If a parcel has to go through Witpos even I get nervous.

I have 3 sons living in the UK. People cannot understand why I am unhappy about my youngest returning to South Africa permanently in April.I think he and his wife would have returned 3 years ago but I urged him to get his British citizenship and they (Thank goodness) have their British passports. I predict they will be here no longer than 2 years and they will go back (I hope)

I mean look at the state of Parliment,The Post Office,eskom etc. etc. Frightening:sad2:

Free Soul Styles

I'm still waiting for stuff i bought on Ebay in the beginning of November and another 2 from December. I suspect i will never see them... :sad2:

mrmouse
I'm still waiting for stuff i bought on Ebay in the beginning of November and another 2 from December. I suspect i will never see them... :sad2:

My ebay orders from Nov December are coming in now , some so far back as September have arrived , so late ,you cant rate the seller anymore .

Free Soul Styles
My ebay orders from Nov December are coming in now , some so far back as September have arrived , so late ,you cant rate the seller anymore .

I hate the post office.... I even asked the sellers to let me pay in for courier, but they refused

Cali Craft and Gems

Use myus.com - they are the best in my personal opinion!

You get an address based in USA and they send on your instruction (or you can set it to automatic). I plan my buying, send several orders to my USA address, and they put everything into one box and send it to my door via courier. Generally this also works out cheaper in the long run as many international / ebay sellers do not like to send stuff to SA so set their prices higher. (also, many sellers don't send to SA addresses at all!)

Example: My latest parcel consisted of three large consignments from my suppliers - one from Thailand, and two from within USA - total weight being 9 pounds. If the suppliers' had sent the parcels to me directly it would have been cheaper if I'd selected registered mail, but it would have had to go via SAPO and heaven only knows if or when I would get my goodies. If they'd sent the parcels individually via courier, it would have cost me a small fortune! My latest parcel left USA on Thurs 19 Feb, and I received it (in the middle of the Karoo) on Monday 23 Feb!

By comparison:

If parcels had been sent directly (via SAPO), the total on shipping alone would have been $566. But sending the three parcels to my USA address and having them delivered to my door via courier, cost me a collective $433. Saved $133 - around R1590!

At least by using the courier option I know that my parcel will be delivered - in one piece with all the contents! (and fast!)