Sign in to follow this  
seahorsefanatic

Characters on bidorbuy

seahorsefanatic

Hi Jacques, Steve Graham and fellow collectors

Having been to many auctions over the years the characters you see dont seem to change as the years go by. This observation applies to all types of auctions as well - it does'nt matter if its furniture, collectables, bric-a-brac, motor vehicles, etc - the same old traits come out sooner or later. You will find ( and here I am talking about Crazy Wednesday )

1) The optimist - that person who bids R1.00 on everything in the hopes of being successful with at least some items that no-one else wants and with a bit of luck a high value item that somehow nobody else bids on.

2) The sneaky bidder - that person who only bids on an item in the last 30 seconds hoping the the current highest bidder won't notice thinking that he/she has already won the item.

3) The intimidator - The bidder who bids on an item valued at say R2,000 ( which opens at R1.00 ) with an opening bid of R800 thinking other bidders will be scared away.

4) The panic bidder - This bidder has to lead in the bidding from start to finish using the rationale that other bidders will give up. This bidder fails to grasp the concept of " its not how you start but how you finish' that counts.

5) The white line fever bidder - Like the rugby equivalent, this bidder will chase an item up irrespective of the value because "they must have it "

Then what is also amusing are the names used by bidders. These are picked for various reasons to either hide the buyer or show something about the buyer. Some are very clever, some funny and some appear to try and be intimidating.

When attending a live auction the rules changes and another set of characters emerge as everyone is visible. This is just as amusing where people try to keep a "poker face" etc.

Human beings are strange creatures :amuse:

ATA STAMP CENTRE
Hi Jacques, Steve Graham and fellow collectors

Having been to many auctions over the years the characters you see dont seem to change as the years go by. This observation applies to all types of auctions as well - it does'nt matter if its furniture, collectables, bric-a-brac, motor vehicles, etc - the same old traits come out sooner or later. You will find ( and here I am talking about Crazy Wednesday )

1) The optimist - that person who bids R1.00 on everything in the hopes of being successful with at least some items that no-one else wants and with a bit of luck a high value item that somehow nobody else bids on.

2) The sneaky bidder - that person who only bids on an item in the last 30 seconds hoping the the current highest bidder won't notice thinking that he/she has already won the item.

3) The intimidator - The bidder who bids on an item valued at say R2,000 ( which opens at R1.00 ) with an opening bid of R800 thinking other bidders will be scared away.

4) The panic bidder - This bidder has to lead in the bidding from start to finish using the rationale that other bidders will give up. This bidder fails to grasp the concept of " its not how you start but how you finish' that counts.

5) The white line fever bidder - Like the rugby equivalent, this bidder will chase an item up irrespective of the value because "they must have it "

Then what is also amusing are the names used by bidders. These are picked for various reasons to either hide the buyer or show something about the buyer. Some are very clever, some funny and some appear to try and be intimidating.

When attending a live auction the rules changes and another set of characters emerge as everyone is visible. This is just as amusing where people try to keep a "poker face" etc.

Human beings are strange creatures :amuse:

Interesting thread

Here is a "tongue in cheek" look at this from the sellers perspective and PLEASE no offence to any bidders,just a light-hearted reply

1.-optimist,usually wastes his own time and the sellers time,as and if he wins anything for R1-never closes out the sale cause suddenly the postage seems to make the item undesirable,RESULTS in snc

2.sneaky bidder-fondly referred to as 'ambush bidder"-causes unnecessary angst to sellers,before welcome relief that the high end item will actually sell for something its really worth as his bids kick in just before closing

3.-intimidator-a few of these around,cause excitement early in auction as seller thinks the item is going to sell extremely high and then is let down when no futher action as the sale reaches closing time

4.panic bidder-sellers love them,as long as they complete the purchase,excitement all the way,bids each minute on all items and way to go!!!

5.white line fever-oh yeah,these are the best,especially if there are two of these bidders on the same item,and if it is a seldom seen item and may not be offered again soon,the price attained here sometimes embarass the seller,as he knows its too much,but can justify his conscience by repeating to himself"i started it at R1 and if the buyer has money to burn ,it may as well be with me"

6.and you forget-the unmentionable bidder,the "shill bidder"-not welcome on BOB at all!!

Just my take on bidders,please dont be offended,if u fit into any of these categories,just keep bidding as u always have,and i can keep selling like i always have

NEIL

Edited by ATA STAMP CENTRE

BABADAUD

Edited by BABADAUD

Deonrick

here i can agree, there are all sorts and sometimes it is frustrating, other times only laughable!