Sign in to follow this  
Juxtaplay

Why Can't I Sell Anything?

Juxtaplay

Hi, I'm quite new to BoB and I can't understand why I am not selling anything.

I like to think my listings to date are quite unique, compared to what is out there, and reasonably priced.

I import selected products and only sell them in limited quantities once they've arrived in SA (i.e. no dropshipping).

I am also the "agent" for a top SA artist, where I sell his jewellery and (soon to be listed) bronze sculptures.

I have done many paid listings in the recent past, but all it did was increase my views - Still no sales.

When I emailed BoB to ask for help, they suggested I do a crazy auction and use it as an "advertising" exercise.

I did this and received only one bid, resulting in my having to sell the item for 10% of the price.

BoB also told me that I have "awesome" products, but that I should add more.

So I've added more (95 I think) - and all products are in my possession and ready to deliver (in gift boxes).

I know my prices are reasonable - for example one item I am selling for R650 is being sold by another seller (dropshipper) for almost 4 x my price - and he doesn't even have the item here in SA.

I have yet to add some second hand items. FYI I have sold over R100 000 worth of second hand goods in the past 4 months - using other selling websites. So I know that I CAN sell - and my service is good.

Could someone check my listings and give me some advice / constructive criticism? Thank you

SEE MY LISTINGS HERE

SADiamondsrus

Oh my word, almost fell off my chair! Clicked your link and all my stuff came up I almost died lol!

Your link takes people to their own listings....... link correctly so we can check ;)

What is your delivery methods like etc.?

NooNooBug

Hi

Looked at your listings and they appear to be clear with description & photographs. All looks good so all that is missing is to get the buyers...how? good question...depends on what time of the month it is, what time of the week etc etc and sometimes there just is no trend... I personally have found that if you do a crazy auction it needs to be near a conventional payday, this of course isn't the same for all sellers. Also watch how many views you are getting and "play around" with which catagories you are listing in. sometimes you may have an item in the wrong catagory OR you may have an item that can "fit" in numerous catagories. I watch and sometimes shift catagories if there are NO bites and sometimes it works ! Newbie sellers can take several months to get the sales rolling in so sit tight, keep adding & wait . Good luck with your venture...

PS your link above aswell as your link on your descriptions takes one directly to ones own profile...take a look at that as it may impact on your viewings.

Colin_P

I'm no expert on selling, but I am a highly suspicious and cynical buyer, so maybe my feedback will be of some use to you.

You have no track record - there is no way for someone to gauge the chances of something going wrong with the transaction. You items are not bargain basement (a good thing) but it does mean that the risk for the average buyer is quite high - I don't mind taking a bit of a chance and having an issue with an item I bought for under R100 but I'm a lot more circumspect when it comes to amounts of R500 and downright paranoid when we go over R1000, and I have a fair amount of disposable income, so I'm not gambling with the rent money.

Many sellers will use their account to buy items to build up a positive rating history before attempting to sell - most cagey buyers will notice this when checking your ratings, but for a lower priced item, a seller who at least pays for the items they have won means you have some little thing to judge them on. Other sellers start of listing cheap items, with little risk for the buyer, and build their ratings that way. The cynic in me says that at least some sellers force their friends and family to buy from them to boost their ratings, which is of course both unethical and (i think) illegal :-)

Perhaps you could encourage some of your existing buyers on other platforms to make a few purchases on BoB?

I don't know what "enough" ratings are - and it'll differ from buyer to buyer, but I'd be nervous ordering fairly expensive items from someone with no ratings at all. I see you do at least have one positive rating so you've made a start.

And I actually like the look of the jewelllery that you sell. Even just your posting here has makes me feel as if I can trust you more than someone I'd never interacted with, so there's a fine line between being seen as unknown and therefore risky, and someone who is "known" and trusted.

Juxtaplay

Wow ... I almost fell off my chair too when I read your comment. Have just spent the last hour correcting the hyperlink (see my listed products here) on each and every item. Since day one, I've had the wrong hyperlink to all my other products. And I never noticed it, because obviously when I'm logged in, it takes me to all my listings. I should have logged out and double checked. Thanks for bringing that to my attention :)

NOW SEE MY LISTINGS HERE

Juxtaplay
Hi

Looked at your listings and they appear to be clear with description & photographs. All looks good so all that is missing is to get the buyers...how? good question...depends on what time of the month it is, what time of the week etc etc and sometimes there just is no trend... I personally have found that if you do a crazy auction it needs to be near a conventional payday, this of course isn't the same for all sellers. Also watch how many views you are getting and "play around" with which catagories you are listing in. sometimes you may have an item in the wrong catagory OR you may have an item that can "fit" in numerous catagories. I watch and sometimes shift catagories if there are NO bites and sometimes it works ! Newbie sellers can take several months to get the sales rolling in so sit tight, keep adding & wait . Good luck with your venture...

PS your link above aswell as your link on your descriptions takes one directly to ones own profile...take a look at that as it may impact on your viewings.

Thanks so much ... I will definitely keep an eye on which categories work best :)

NOW SEE MY LISTINGS HERE

Edited by Juxtaplay

Juxtaplay
I'm no expert on selling, but I am a highly suspicious and cynical buyer, so maybe my feedback will be of some use to you.

You have no track record - there is no way for someone to gauge the chances of something going wrong with the transaction. You items are not bargain basement (a good thing) but it does mean that the risk for the average buyer is quite high - I don't mind taking a bit of a chance and having an issue with an item I bought for under R100 but I'm a lot more circumspect when it comes to amounts of R500 and downright paranoid when we go over R1000, and I have a fair amount of disposable income, so I'm not gambling with the rent money.

Many sellers will use their account to buy items to build up a positive rating history before attempting to sell - most cagey buyers will notice this when checking your ratings, but for a lower priced item, a seller who at least pays for the items they have won means you have some little thing to judge them on. Other sellers start of listing cheap items, with little risk for the buyer, and build their ratings that way. The cynic in me says that at least some sellers force their friends and family to buy from them to boost their ratings, which is of course both unethical and (i think) illegal :-)

Perhaps you could encourage some of your existing buyers on other platforms to make a few purchases on BoB?

I don't know what "enough" ratings are - and it'll differ from buyer to buyer, but I'd be nervous ordering fairly expensive items from someone with no ratings at all. I see you do at least have one positive rating so you've made a start.

And I actually like the look of the jewelllery that you sell. Even just your posting here has makes me feel as if I can trust you more than someone I'd never interacted with, so there's a fine line between being seen as unknown and therefore risky, and someone who is "known" and trusted.

Thanks for your feedback, Colin, I guess it's the same as not being able to get credit if you have never bought on credit :)

I do realise that my products are by no means cheap, and I therefore understand the whole trust issue. I thought being a verified seller would make a difference, but clearly not (although I myself would never buy from anyone who is not a verified seller.) So I have a bunch of old collectible stuff that I've always wanted to get rid of, so perhaps I should add them to my listings at cheap prices and try to get more ratings that way. It just kinda ruins my idea of listing only new, "hard-to-find", unique products, in limited editions. But I guess once I'm up and selling, I could always cancel out the cheapies.

Thanks again :)

SEE MY LISTINGS HERE

SADiamondsrus
Wow ... I almost fell off my chair too when I read your comment. Have just spent the last hour correcting the hyperlink (see my listed products here) on each and every item. Since day one, I've had the wrong hyperlink to all my other products. And I never noticed it, because obviously when I'm logged in, it takes me to all my listings. I should have logged out and double checked. Thanks for bringing that to my attention :)

NOW SEE MY LISTINGS HERE

Hehehehe, yes. Luckily the ground isnt too far off to fall.

Great, had a look at your listings. Very nice pieces in deed. I suggest you maybe look at similar pieces other sellers are selling.

I know of a seller that sells solid silver on BOB for years now, her prices though are very low. Consumers tend to look for the cheaper deal. I do lots of auctions, but risks are involved, one piece sells for a price at profit, and the next way below costs, the risk lies with the seller, in losing of course but depending on what is to offer, some wins can cover the losses.

The one up for you , is that you are a verified seller, thus the "risk" is lowered and BoB has checked you out and gives some assurance to buyers.

Check the following seller;

Gemstones - Tanzanite and Diamond Ring - Valuation Certificate included. for sale in Beaufort West (ID:155615991)

She has awesome items too and maybe you can pick up a thing or two from her?

Bidorbuy market is really for bargain seekers in my opinion.

Colin_P
I thought being a verified seller would make a difference, but clearly not (although I myself would never buy from anyone who is not a verified seller.)

To be honest I didn't even notice that - and I don't actually know exactly what that means. I've always looked carefully at a sellers ratings, and their replies to neutral or negative ratings, and based my decision on that. Not 100% scientific but I've never had a bad experience yet, so it must be working to some extent.

That's certainly why I'm here :)

Although I will pay a little more than bargain if I find something I really want or have been looking for for a while.

SADiamondsrus
To be honest I didn't even notice that - and I don't actually know exactly what that means. I've always looked carefully at a sellers ratings, and their replies to neutral or negative ratings, and based my decision on that. Not 100% scientific but I've never had a bad experience yet, so it must be working to some extent.

That's certainly why I'm here :)

Although I will pay a little more than bargain if I find something I really want or have been looking for for a while.

BoB verifies sellers residence and ID and credit score, then makes a decision to "undertake" to be liable for a certain amount should a buyer have a dispute, which is easy for BOB to do as they would just debit the sellers account, which they can do with all advance sellers.

Mine was verified when we stayed in KZN, then moved to JHB and the verified status fell away. Have not been interested since then, one pays a fee to be verified.

Yep, Bidorbuy is a great place to find a good deal.

Juxtaplay
Hehehehe, yes. Luckily the ground isnt too far off to fall.

Great, had a look at your listings. Very nice pieces in deed. I suggest you maybe look at similar pieces other sellers are selling.

I know of a seller that sells solid silver on BOB for years now, her prices though are very low. Consumers tend to look for the cheaper deal. I do lots of auctions, but risks are involved, one piece sells for a price at profit, and the next way below costs, the risk lies with the seller, in losing of course but depending on what is to offer, some wins can cover the losses.

The one up for you , is that you are a verified seller, thus the "risk" is lowered and BoB has checked you out and gives some assurance to buyers.

Check the following seller;

Gemstones - Tanzanite and Diamond Ring - Valuation Certificate included. for sale in Beaufort West (ID:155615991)

She has awesome items too and maybe you can pick up a thing or two from her?

Thanks so much. I checked out the link, but I must say there's a lot of "plated", "jeweller's metal (?)", "created diamond", etc in some of the item descriptions. (If you can't resize it, it's not real.) But hopefully, I'll eventually get buyers who (like me) are pedantic about getting the "real" thing. :nuts:

Juxtaplay

Oh, and in terms of BoB being for bargain seekers ... here's someone who sells (at high prices, in my opinion) and seems to do extremely well. (And the product is not even in SA!) One of the products on my listing at R650 - he is selling for R2495. And the people are paying !!! Just saying :)

Thanks again for all your kind feedback. I'm going to make this thing happen!

SADiamondsrus
Thanks so much. I checked out the link, but I must say there's a lot of "plated", "jeweller's metal (?)", "created diamond", etc in some of the item descriptions. (If you can't resize it, it's not real.) But hopefully, I'll eventually get buyers who (like me) are pedantic about getting the "real" thing. :nuts:

Yes, I agree, there is a market for everyone :)

Free Soul Styles
One of the products on my listing at R650 - he is selling for R2495. And the people are paying !!! Just saying :)

Wow! R796.00 for 1200 colorful rubber bands! I paid R79.00 (his shipping cost) for the WHOLE LOOM KIT including 1000 rubber bands! I'll rather drive to Caves and buy it there!

When i started on BoB (May 2013) it was very slow. Over time my ratings grew because (in my opinion), of good service and comms, and the stock i keep. When a buyer rates you "received, thank you" it can sound a bit cold, but thanks to many of my regular buyers and their awesome comments, the sales started rolling in. So give it time to build up your name! Good Luck!

Edited by Free Soul Styles

Juxtaplay

I agree - sometimes it would be cheaper to fly to that country and bring the stuff back in your bag :)

Thanks, it's good to hear that you only started just over a year ago, and now the sales are rolling in. Gives me hope :)

Vegar

I think I know what the problem is ... and forgive me if someone already said this: People prefer auctions! All your items are "BUY NOW". I once experienced this with a very nice product where a potential buyer told me: "Let me know when you have these on auction ..." :embarrest: I was floored! I put them on auction ... for the same price and they went!

Good luck!

windrider

Hi,

As many had stated everyone has their own preference. My feedback would be to lower the prices on the jewellery. I'm a stickler of knowing when I'm buying solid silver pieces v.s. just silver plated, but to pay over a R1100 for a silver pendant seems a bit much. I'm aware that this is a a known artist, but with some exceptions, as a jewellery buyer you are buying something that a) will look good and b) the item is as advertised. The brand name doesn't always have the same impact as in clothing and handbag or shoe items.

Just my 2c,

Colin_P

Good point Vegar.The only time I prefer a buy-now, is if I need something urgently. And it makes no sense whatsoever, it's a psychological thing - I suppose we want to feel that we've won. I still feel a bit like I've hit the jackpot when the POS machine tells me I got my credit card PIN correct. :-)

NooNooBug
Wow! R796.00 for 1200 colorful rubber bands! I paid R79.00 (his shipping cost) for the WHOLE LOOM KIT including 1000 rubber bands! I'll rather drive to Caves and buy it there!...

They are listing one for R751 that I bought for my daughter and paid R45 ! Seriously crazy prices ! I wonder if anyone is buying at that price !

RISadler
I still feel a bit like I've hit the jackpot when the POS machine tells me I got my credit card PIN correct. :-)

What a relief! I thought it was just me, but now I know there are others out there. :awesome:

RISadler
I think I know what the problem is ... and forgive me if someone already said this: People prefer auctions! All your items are "BUY NOW". [...] I put them on auction ... for the same price and they went!

I'm gonna give this a try ...

Free Soul Styles
They are listing one for R751 that I bought for my daughter and paid R45 ! Seriously crazy prices ! I wonder if anyone is buying at that price !

It's possible.... :D

RISadler
It's possible.... :D

I agree. I mean, it just sounds so much better when standing around the braai to say that you were ripped off for R's in the C & M range, than for a few measly R's of sub-X value.

Juxtaplay
I think I know what the problem is ... and forgive me if someone already said this: People prefer auctions! All your items are "BUY NOW". I once experienced this with a very nice product where a potential buyer told me: "Let me know when you have these on auction ..." :embarrest: I was floored! I put them on auction ... for the same price and they went!

Good luck!

Thanks, it's a good idea and I'm going to try it. Amazing how the human brain works sometimes :)

Juxtaplay
Hi,

As many had stated everyone has their own preference. My feedback would be to lower the prices on the jewellery. I'm a stickler of knowing when I'm buying solid silver pieces v.s. just silver plated, but to pay over a R1100 for a silver pendant seems a bit much. I'm aware that this is a a known artist, but with some exceptions, as a jewellery buyer you are buying something that a) will look good and b) the item is as advertised. The brand name doesn't always have the same impact as in clothing and handbag or shoe items.

Just my 2c,

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with you in terms of knowing whether an item is solid silver vs plated, and this is key here, as many items listed on BoB are much cheaper because perhaps they are hollow, as opposed to being solid. Others claim they are 925 sterling silver, but then you scroll down and find out they are silver plated. If you see the weights that I've indicated for each of my items, you'll see just how heavy they are and how much more silver was used. Perhaps I should be highlighting the weight in the title description?