Sign in to follow this  
RISadler

E-Books & Copyright Infringement ...

RISadler    10
RISadler

Well, I've finally started to now also sell the books that I publish as e-books here on BoB. However, looking at all the books on offer in the fiction category, I cannot but wonder how many of those are legit and being offered with the consent/authorisation of the publisher.

I do see that some sellers have a little paragraph in the listing that states that they indeed are and that they have furnished such proof to BoB. True? And if so, what about the rest?

mrmouse    12
mrmouse
Well, I've finally started to now also sell the books that I publish as e-books here on BoB. However, looking at all the books on offer in the fiction category, I cannot but wonder how many of those are legit and being offered with the consent/authorisation of the publisher.

I do see that some sellers have a little paragraph in the listing that states that they indeed are and that they have furnished such proof to BoB. True? And if so, what about the rest?

The rest are a law unto themselves .

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

I used to report these sellers to bob with proof of copyright infringement but gave up as either nothing was done, or the sellers just ignore the warning. I don't bother anymore.

The day that J.K. Rowling decides to sue a seller on BoB for selling Harry Potter ebooks will maybe be the day that people will learn. SA sellers seem to think that because we are at the tip of Africa, we are untouchable, so they must carry on. The day will come when they learn their lesson and it will be an expensive one.

mrmouse    12
mrmouse
I used to report these sellers to bob with proof of copyright infringement but gave up as either nothing was done, or the sellers just ignore the warning. I don't bother anymore.

The day that J.K. Rowling decides to sue a seller on BoB for selling Harry Potter ebooks will maybe be the day that people will learn. SA sellers seem to think that because we are at the tip of Africa, we are untouchable, so they must carry on. The day will come when they learn their lesson and it will be an expensive one.

the sellers should be reported to the copyright holders and the SAP copyright and fraud division

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus

I so agree with this, while I do not the sellers that do so, I know of a seller that uses the TIFFANY wording in her listings (selling jewellery) and The name TIFFANY is jewellery in trade marked to TIFFANY and Co

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus

I so agree with this, while I do not the sellers that do so, I know of a seller that uses the TIFFANY wording in her listings (selling jewellery) and The name TIFFANY is jewellery in trade marked to TIFFANY and Co

I also reported and mentioned it in thread here, and this was defended by another "big" seller.

Oh my

qball    11
qball

We periodicly go through the ebook category to try remove and warn sellers. Please continue to report these issues to us for action. If sellers continue to infringe these copyrights we will start to take further action on their accounts. The number of "tiffany" items have been reduced, but they do also periodicly re-appear, we will also be looking into those issues.

RISadler    10
RISadler

Thanks, qball.

Also, I do know that this would be a lot of work, but how about locking the ebooks category and only allow sellers who furnish proof of copyright ownership/license to trade in that category. Obviously it won't be on a product by product basis, but just in basic general. Kind of like how you do with the drop-shippers.

qball    11
qball

Unfortunately logistically we do not have the resources to do that. That would be the ideal situation.

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus
We periodicly go through the ebook category to try remove and warn sellers. Please continue to report these issues to us for action. If sellers continue to infringe these copyrights we will start to take further action on their accounts. The number of "tiffany" items have been reduced, but they do also periodicly re-appear, we will also be looking into those issues.

Thanks OP Manager, I do feel now that I am being heard.

RISadler    10
RISadler
Unfortunately logistically we do not have the resources to do that. That would be the ideal situation.

OK, so the next best thing would be that if someone request BoB to remove a listing due to copyright infringement (and has obviously supplied proof of ownership), would BoB then (a) remove the listing and (b) willingly furnish the copyright owner with details (number of sales, amounts and to whom) regarding any sales made of said item?

mrmouse    12
mrmouse
OK, so the next best thing would be that if someone request BoB to remove a listing due to copyright infringement (and has obviously supplied proof of ownership), would BoB then (a) remove the listing and (b) willingly furnish the copyright owner with details (number of sales, amounts and to whom) regarding any sales made of said item?

I would say yes as BoB is the facilitator of the sale although not handling it ,are still responsible for what is sold ,

Edited by mrmouse

qball    11
qball
I would say yes as BoB is the facilitator of the sale although not handling it ,are still responsible for what is sold ,

Unfortunately that is not the case.

qball    11
qball

If we have the necessary proof we can remove the item. Unfortunately any additional information required would need to go through proper legal channels for a request like that.

RISadler    10
RISadler
If we have the necessary proof we can remove the item.

Obviously BoB can remove the infringing items if they have proof, but the true question is will BoB remove the infringing items when they have proof?

OK, so disregarding my linguistic nit-picking above, and just so that I can get my ducks in row for that certain point in the future when my copyright will be infringed on by a seller here on BoB ... What exactly does BoB consider as irrefutable proof of copyright ownership?

qball    11
qball
Obviously BoB can remove the infringing items if they have proof, but the true question is will BoB remove the infringing items when they have proof?

OK, so disregarding my linguistic nit-picking above, and just so that I can get my ducks in row for that certain point in the future when my copyright will be infringed on by a seller here on BoB ... What exactly does BoB consider as irrefutable proof of copyright ownership?

Any proof such as publisher rights or documentation confirming copyright.