Sign in to follow this  
Reynet Trading

Importing Cell Phones

Reynet Trading    10
Reynet Trading

I was looking at importing Brand name Cell Phone's. Already got supplier(s) lined up, negotiated price's etc..

Then I walked into a wall called an ICASA permit.

It will be impossible to import on a small scale considering the cost to get a permit (license).

Now my question-

If ICASA was so fierce why are there so many imported (grey) phones & tablets sold on bid or buy? Not to talk about the cheap no name phones and tablets.

Is there something I'm missing here?

mrmouse    12
mrmouse
I was looking at importing Brand name Cell Phone's. Already got supplier(s) lined up, negotiated price's etc..

Then I walked into a wall called an ICASA permit.

It will be impossible to import on a small scale considering the cost to get a permit (license).

Now my question-

If ICASA was so fierce why are there so many imported (grey) phones & tablets sold on bid or buy? Not to talk about the cheap no name phones and tablets.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Youre missing ,ICASA being able to police everything , Vodacom is actively involved , but to what extent is unknown , it only takes one person to report you to ICASA and you will probably be fined a couple of million R`s, every radio communication device sold in SA by law has to be approved , very difficult to monitor , that includes all computer RF/TX equipment as well , non approved products can spew radiation and cause headaches , and network problems , Vodacom and MTN also cant help with network problems such as updates and reception problems with them .

Reynet Trading    10
Reynet Trading

So the problem is not getting them into the country, the problem is getting reported to ICASA.

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

yip, nobody cares actually , untill that cell phone catches alight on someones car seat while charging and burns the car out along with the baby in the car seat next to it .Grim reality , I had a battery backup device explode on the seat next to me and catch fire sort of ,while charging, the fumes were carcinogenic ,I had to stop on the freeway and open all the doors for a while , couldnt breathe.Safety First.

rank32    10
rank32

its called the Black Market

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

Love IT HaHaHaHa

qball    11
qball

An importer may import limited quantities, it's only when those quantities increase that they have to get the items ICASA approved. I believe this was discussed some time back on the forum.

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus

ditto

so when something goes wrong, dont expect sympathy, if you supported the black market...

Nothing comes for nothing.

mrmouse    12
mrmouse
An importer may import limited quantities, it's only when those quantities increase that they have to get the items ICASA approved. I believe this was discussed some time back on the forum.

, ICASA does state somewhere on its site all manufacturers devices must be approved full stop , no exceptions ,

All phones brought into South Africa must be type approved by ICASA. It is a criminal offence to use a non-type approved phone in South Africa. Consumers who purchase phones from retailers and/or flea-markets may be vulnerable and may have bought illegal phones.

ICASA is beginning a nationwide crack-down on illegal equipment, it encourages the public to hand in phones to its regional offices. <<<<< I suppose if you dig deep enough you will find another regulation to supercede it , but all regs were rewritten and gazetted in June this year .>>>

Cant really find anything specific , bring some in , lets complain and see what happens.

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

QUOTE ///What about second-hand GSM Mobile Handset?The rules are clear, the Authority will still need all the relevant test reports (RF, EMC & Safety) and the importer must provide “Proof of Origin” and a declaration (on his own letterheads) that these handset are not stolen.

And now for the costs:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 215]1.New Application

[/TD]

[TD=width: 189]R 4, 000.00

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 215]2.Untested variant

[/TD]

[TD=width: 189]R 2, 000.00

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 215]3.Tested variant

[/TD]

[TD=width: 189]R 2, 000.00

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 215]4.Badge Engineering

[/TD]

[TD=width: 189]R 4, 000.00

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

We do not assist with the imports of cell phones, unless you are in possession of all relevant permits.

For more information please contact ICASA

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

Also>>>

[h=3]Import Cell Phones / Mobile Phones to South Africa[/h]

We do not assist with the imports of cell phones, unless you are in possession of all relevant permits.

For more information please contact ICASA

Importing Cell Phones / Mobile Phones to South Africa can be a shade more difficult than one might think.

As a result of permits, required from the ICASA [independent Communications Authority of South Africa], it may not be viable at all, provided you are financially able to do it large scale.

Below we will lay out, as per information provided from ICASA themselves:

Radio Frequency (RF) Equipment Type Approval Procedures

The following are ICASA’s (hereinafter referred to as the Authority) requirements to process a request for radio frequency equipment.

1. A certified copy / soft copy in PDF format / CD ROM of a test reports (both RF , EMC & Safety), in English, issued by any accredited test house/ laboratory according to appropriate specifications will be acceptable for the purposes of application for type approval. (The Authority does not accept any responsibility for original documentation accompanying applications.2. Fully signed and completed application form and the receipt of the necessary payment.3. A full technical diagram (including circuit) of the equipment including photographs (digital also acceptable) or pamphlets/brochure (of how the equipment works) should accompany each application.4. The type approval certificate will only be issued to a local South African registered company/ concern. Therefore, full details such as company registration number, both physical and postal addresses, contact persons and telephone numbers must be provided in this regard. No type approval certificates will be issued to applicants who wilfully and intentionally violate the aims and objectives of Section 2 subsections (b), (l) and (q) of Telecommunications Act, No.103 of 1996.5. Type approval request that is based on non-ETSI standard, the applicant would be expected to avail such a standard to the Authority for prompt expedience to his/her type approval request.All of the above need to be submitted by hand or / electronically.

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

Sort of puts a spanner in the works and leaves all the Chinese made phone importers ;;;Where?

As a SANAS inspector myself , I feel its best to play by the book , but small quantities that dont make the dog next door scratch every time you answer the phone , may go unnoticed untill you have CPA claims against you and then ICASA has a look ,not worth it , warrantys are a headache with electronics , I have seen CPA claims for sour milk that have been investigated ,,is it worth it ? rather do a deal with a supplier for 1yr old stock at reduced prices and save the problems for others.

Edited by mrmouse

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus
Sort of puts a spanner in the works and leaves all the Chinese made phone importers ;;;Where?

As a SANAS inspector myself , I feel its best to play by the book , but small quantities that dont make the dog next door scratch every time you answer the phone , may go unnoticed untill you have CPA claims against you and then ICASA has a look ,not worth it , warrantys are a headache with electronics , I have seen CPA claims for sour milk that have been investigated ,,is it worth it ? rather do a deal with a supplier for 1yr old stock at reduced prices and save the problems for others.

Yep one learns as one goes.

Trellis    10
Trellis

This applies to all Communications devices, so all the two way radios, Cellphones, Bluetooth devices even radio controlled toys. When you import them nobody seems to care you pay your vat and duties where applicable, the problem comes in when you use or sell them, icasa approved devices have their approved sticker on them, partly just another income stream and partly to protect from interference.

At any rate good-luck at getting test reports and that level of support from your companies in China, you will have to have items independently tested, and brands definitely wont co-operate with smaller businesses who are most likely grey importing anyway.