Sign in to follow this  
Free Soul Styles

No insurance? What then?

Free Soul Styles    10
Free Soul Styles

I'd like to hear other sellers remarks on this please:

1. Do you offer shipping without insurance on say Registered Letters or Ordinary Parcels?

2. What happens if the contents are stolen and there is no insurance?

I know the post office rules in regards to no insurance is "Too bad. Cannot claim if you didn't pay for the insurance option", but as a seller what do YOU do when a parcel is stolen on a non-insured item and the buyer asks "what now"?

To BOB:

If a buyer doesn't pay for insurance, and the seller can't really do anything about it, what happens when a buyer rates the seller negative? Is it fair?

Thanks!

qball    11
qball
I'd like to hear other sellers remarks on this please:

1. Do you offer shipping without insurance on say Registered Letters or Ordinary Parcels?

2. What happens if the contents are stolen and there is no insurance?

I know the post office rules in regards to no insurance is "Too bad. Cannot claim if you didn't pay for the insurance option", but as a seller what do YOU do when a parcel is stolen on a non-insured item and the buyer asks "what now"?

To BOB:

If a buyer doesn't pay for insurance, and the seller can't really do anything about it, what happens when a buyer rates the seller negative? Is it fair?

Thanks!

As far as we are concerned, the CPA makes mention explicitly that the seller is responsible for the goods until the buyer receives them, in particular relation to Buy Nows. We also consider the seller accountable as they are the one's that offered that postal service or option to the buyer and should thus be responsible for the delivery of the item/s. We believe a negative rating would be fair as they paid for goods and for delivery and did not receive the goods. You still have their money yet they don't have the item, the question should be - is that fair to the buyer?

Free Soul Styles    10
Free Soul Styles

That's kind of difficult because your rule kind of slightly contradicts the post office's rule. (not trying to fight, trying to figure this out correctly)...

Okay, fair enough. So lets say the uninsured parcel was stolen, and i want to help so i offer a full refund to the buyer for the product bought, not the shipping, because after all, the parcel was sent, as the buyer requested. Is that fair with you guys? It still cost an envelope, the post office charges and what not to send.

Or what if the insurance is automatically added (as one can do) and the buyer changed the shipping cost themselves to not include insurance?

Edited by Free Soul Styles

mrmouse    12
mrmouse
That's kind of difficult because your rule kind of slightly contradicts the post office's rule. (not trying to fight, trying to figure this out correctly)...

Okay, fair enough. So lets say the uninsured parcel was stolen, and i want to help so i offer a full refund to the buyer for the product bought, not the shipping, because after all, the parcel was sent, as the buyer requested. Is that fair with you guys? It still cost an envelope, the post office charges and what not to send.

Or what if the insurance is automatically added (as one can do) and the buyer changed the shipping cost themselves to not include insurance?

Irrespective of what the buyer does on checkout the onus is on the seller to make sure the buyer recieves his goods as paid for including freight ,, I would replace/refund all including freight .

IS THERE REALLY A RIGHT ANSWER ? The Act is there to ensure that you, as a buyer, receive what you paid for and are entitled to. It’s also meant to protect you being misled into paying for products and services that don’t exist, are poorly delivered, or are defective.Open to interpretation ???

Edited by mrmouse

Free Soul Styles    10
Free Soul Styles

Thanks mrmouse.

What does BoB say on that matter? I see some sellers do say that refunds will be done minus the shipping cost - because shipping was done as per the instructions of the buyer.

My only other concern is dishonest buyers.

What if the buyer actually received his items and then emailed me to say it was stolen?

I think i need to go to another selling seminar and ask them all the questions....

qball    11
qball

As far as we are concerned - refunding the buyer is always the right thing to do - remember 99% of the time - the shipping options are given to the buyer by the seller - the seller opted to utilise these methods and thus should bear the responsibility - you should not be sending anything without tracking and insurance, especially valuable items - coins should not be sent uninsured through the PO, rather by courier.

Advise buyers to always open parcels at the PO, so if need be they can lodge a complaint with the PO. We have no problem refunding just the purchase amount as the goods were shipped and the service paid for to the PO, but this does depend on individual circumstances.

Free Soul Styles    10
Free Soul Styles

Thanks for the info qball!

magpie1    10
magpie1

to the BOB manager, your response above is in direct conflict to my experience with a seller and yourselves........i still don't have my goods from 2011. I gave yourselves and the seller the option as to how the items would be shipped to me. As per our tele-con, I agreed on a trust basis and gave the seller the choice. I still don't have the goods, have endured many insults from the seller, and very little support from BOB. The seller's comments are still on my ratings chart .I quote you above ".....is that fair to the buyer?....." refer Cali Crafts & Gems July 2011 ref 19571.

qball    11
qball
to the BOB manager, your response above is in direct conflict to my experience with a seller and yourselves........i still don't have my goods from 2011. I gave yourselves and the seller the option as to how the items would be shipped to me. As per our tele-con, I agreed on a trust basis and gave the seller the choice. I still don't have the goods, have endured many insults from the seller, and very little support from BOB. The seller's comments are still on my ratings chart .I quote you above ".....is that fair to the buyer?....." refer Cali Crafts & Gems July 2011 ref 19571.

I am afraid that is a completely different issue - firstly there was no payment from your side - so this has nothing to do with the current thread. The issue between you and the seller revolved mainly around ratings and non payment, however, this does not change the fact that you did not pay, so therefore, the seller cancelled the transactions - so no goods are due to you. You were rated neutral due to the non payment. Please stay on topic. Thank you.

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus

this makes me THINK.....

Ok, if the buyer opts not to open at post office or in front of courier, who is at fault then?

Lets also say buyer does open in front of witness, and its "stolen" - is it the buyer/sellers responsibility to claim and follow up with insurance, AND what if the insurance refuses to pay either way?

This really made me think, I am going to include insurance on all parcels whether buyer wants or not. and specify the courier guy is to check client opens and is happy. AND THEN ALSO CHANGE MY COURIER, current courier does not insure higher that R5000 and the post office does not either, AND from my experience, you put a claim by post office and never hear from them, when u inquire 10 000 times, they don't know themselves what is going on. I would think for this reason insurance is not taken with SAPO.

Goodluck all

Free Soul Styles    10
Free Soul Styles

Some buyers take off the insurance once they checkout, even if it's automatically added.

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus

Refuse to ship without insurance, as a seller you must safeguard yourself. Under shipping terms, list that its compulsory, because from I read above, buyers have the option to cry wolf and sellers must lose, no way. Its not fair.

Free Soul Styles    10
Free Soul Styles

That's a good idea. But technically you are not really allowed to insure coins in the first place. As said, i don't mind refunding. If i was the buyer and my stuff got stolen i would also want my money back. But i have put up on my site that buyers MUST check their parcels BEFORE signing for them!