Sign in to follow this  
DollHouse Punk

Importers Code ??

DollHouse Punk

I really hope someone can help me with this because I'm really confused as to how it works.

I import and sell fashion items, it's a small business but it's doing really well so I import goods frequently. Its working out to be +- R350 total import duty , Vat and disbursement fee every time a shipment comes in through DHL. They have asked me whether I have an importers code? I'm a little clueless when it comes to this & I don't even know what that is? How does one apply for this? Also, once I have this code does it still mean I'll have to pay those large amounts every time a parcel comes through, or will I only pay a percentage?

I would really appreciate if someone could explain it to me, I'm sure there's more people out there who are also wondering the same thing!

Thanks so much! :awesome:

alloway65

To my understanding to get an importers code you need an import permit and to get an import permit there are a lot of forms that have to be completed DA185 etc. Also you might need a product code which determines the percentage of duty you have to pay and this depends on the type of products you import.

Even when you have all the requisite import papers/permit you will still have to pay the 14% VAT which is calculated at 110% of the stated import value. This you can eventually claim back if you are VAT registered.

moodTime

I just went through this whole registration process last month. You need to go to your SARS Customs office and fill in the necessary paperwork including the DA185. There is alot of other documents SARS will request, company forms, ID's, proof of address, bank statements etc. Without a valid import number SARS can seize your parcels and fine you as well.

SADiamondsrus

Its really not that bad, just fill in form and you get a import code. I have mine for 4 years now.

Keep a copy of your application and give that to DHL next time so u have no issues they know u getting a code soon, takes 4-6 weeks.

Best of luck