Sign in to follow this  
justindeklerk

Importing and dropshipping vs. overseas based sellers

justindeklerk    10
justindeklerk

Hi, I'm building up a business plan to import and sell some products here on bidorbuy, among other places. Browsing through the listings, particularly the product ranges of the technology I'm planning to import, I've noticed a number of popular sellers who do not keep their stock, rather the item is imported (eg from USA) and shipped to the buyer once payment has been made. Reading the T's & C's this appears to be "dropshipping", which as far as I can tell is no longer an option allowed for on this site. Is this correct? I don't have vast amounts of capital to import vast quantities of expensive stock, this method would have been a big help in getting off the ground via contacts (effectively agents) overseas.

How are the sellers doing this already allowed to do this?

Also, I see a number of sellers "location" as somewhere overseas, eg HongKong, UK, etc. Is that not possibly just a front to enable dropshipping or is it legal on BoB to do that. Eg, I have a potential business partner in the USA, therefore we could set up the business as being based there thereby circumventing the dropshipping rule as the items are bought and shipped from the company there instead of holding expensive stock here in SA at great risk?

I'm just getting the facts strait regarding importing before diving into this business. Thanks for any advice!

I do plan to import and hold loads of products in time, but we have to start somewhere, not easy on small budgets.

mrmouse    12
mrmouse
Hi, I'm building up a business plan to import and sell some products here on bidorbuy, among other places. Browsing through the listings, particularly the product ranges of the technology I'm planning to import, I've noticed a number of popular sellers who do not keep their stock, rather the item is imported (eg from USA) and shipped to the buyer once payment has been made. Reading the T's & C's this appears to be "dropshipping", which as far as I can tell is no longer an option allowed for on this site. Is this correct? I don't have vast amounts of capital to import vast quantities of expensive stock, this method would have been a big help in getting off the ground via contacts (effectively agents) overseas.

How are the sellers doing this already allowed to do this?

Also, I see a number of sellers "location" as somewhere overseas, eg HongKong, UK, etc. Is that not possibly just a front to enable dropshipping or is it legal on BoB to do that. Eg, I have a potential business partner in the USA, therefore we could set up the business as being based there thereby circumventing the dropshipping rule as the items are bought and shipped from the company there instead of holding expensive stock here in SA at great risk?

I'm just getting the facts strait regarding importing before diving into this business. Thanks for any advice!

I do plan to import and hold loads of products in time, but we have to start somewhere, not easy on small budgets.

Try to only sell what you have on hand , it will save you loads of K*K , if you can buy it from USA so can anyone else , if its on BoB its on Ebay cheaper , the 1 month wait and customs puts lots of people off .Make very sure you have warrantys in place as per CPA spec, an example will be made of someone sometime or other .Get an import permit , it makes life very much easier and use a decent freight forwarder .also remember china shops are everywhere now sell something different that actually works for longer than 2 weeks .

qball    11
qball

Unfortunately drop shipping is not permitted. No new applications fro drop shipping are being considered at this time due to continual problems with deliveries, customs, returns and non compliance with the CPA.

ECigAndMiscelSHOP    10
ECigAndMiscelSHOP
Unfortunately drop shipping is not permitted. No new applications fro drop shipping are being considered at this time due to continual problems with deliveries, customs, returns and non compliance with the CPA.

Okay, and the Sellers that actually are still active doing business via drop-shipping are they still allowed to this? If so, don't you think that is very close to double standards revering to BoB policies?

qball    11
qball

There are certain authorised drop shippers who are on a list that have permission to drop ship due to their ratings, history and positive feedback. This is a very small list. No new applications are being considered due to the constant issues with sellers who drop ship and then encounter delivery, supply and stock issues. This poses a risk to buyers and to the community as a whole, therefore we are being very strict. This is not a double standard. The authorised drop shippers have a proven and reliable track record and are thus allowed to continue. Should there be any major issues this permission can be revoked. Our biggest issues is sellers who do not disclose this and start to sell, we generally only get contacted by an affected buyer, after the sale has taken place. This is generally very difficult to stop as we do not have access to the seller's stock nor are we involved in the seller's delivery or logistics. There are just too many risks with drop shipping that new and existing sellers do not heed.

mrmouse    12
mrmouse
There are certain authorised drop shippers who are on a list that have permission to drop ship due to their ratings, history and positive feedback. This is a very small list. No new applications are being considered due to the constant issues with sellers who drop ship and then encounter delivery, supply and stock issues. This poses a risk to buyers and to the community as a whole, therefore we are being very strict. This is not a double standard. The authorised drop shippers have a proven and reliable track record and are thus allowed to continue. Should there be any major issues this permission can be revoked. Our biggest issues is sellers who do not disclose this and start to sell, we generally only get contacted by an affected buyer, after the sale has taken place. This is generally very difficult to stop as we do not have access to the seller's stock nor are we involved in the seller's delivery or logistics. There are just too many risks with drop shipping that new and existing sellers do not heed.

Are these guys on the drop ship list>ShopUp OnlineJohannesburg

qball    11
qball
Are these guys on the drop ship list>ShopUp OnlineJohannesburg

Yes, they are. However, we are busy in discussions with them to remove permission on this account due to the issues they are having.

This was an authorised secondary account fro gpxpress who were awarded consent and who are on the list. Permission was granted early 2012.

Edited by qball

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

Thanks I had issues contacting them as they have no telephone number on listing .after a purchase and emails were not going through.

qball    11
qball
Thanks I had issues contacting them as they have no telephone number on listing .after a purchase and emails were not going through.

They have been requested to update their contact details

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus

Wanted to put 2c here lol. If you are in partnership with USA person, they can open a BOB account and u "manage it" Bidorbuy pls correct if wrong.

No new dropships allowed - granted.

Only list and sell what you have on hand, and try different mediums. As your business grows so will you capital to invest, it does not happen overnight , maybe in future you can apply for business loan / credit