Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Calling all Import Sellers Advise Please.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Good Day,

I am curious as to how many items SARS let you import a year? Is there an specific amount? And by when does a Seller Register as an Importer at SARS and ITAC?

Lately JHB International is stooping all my imports and putting an Detention Notice on them (invoice and PoP needed) Then when a parcel arrives the duties are high, paid R799.30 for a parcel sized 15 x 19cm last week, the other (Same Size) one order I was charged R19 each?!?! I contacted Margaret at JHB International with no response on the specific query, usually she is very assertive.

My suppliers have ALL been verified by BoB, so meaning I don't Import from China, Hong Kong and those dodgy places. All suppliers parcels have detailed invoice on the parcels etc. this really puzzles me that all my items are being stopped?:wtf:

So more information from you guys will be much appreciated. :smile1:

mrmouse    12
mrmouse
Good Day,

I am curious as to how many items SARS let you import a year? Is there an specific amount? And by when does a Seller Register as an Importer at SARS and ITAC?

Lately JHB International is stooping all my imports and putting an Detention Notice on them (invoice and PoP needed) Then when a parcel arrives the duties are high, paid R799.30 for a parcel sized 15 x 19cm last week, the other (Same Size) one order I was charged R19 each?!?! I contacted Margaret at JHB International with no response on the specific query, usually she is very assertive.

My suppliers have ALL been verified by BoB, so meaning I don't Import from China, Hong Kong and those dodgy places. All suppliers parcels have detailed invoice on the parcels etc. this really puzzles me that all my items are being stopped?:wtf:

So more information from you guys will be much appreciated. :smile1:

You can bring in 3 shipments for yourself under a blanket permit , if it is quantitys then it is regarded as being for resale and additional chatges are levied for a temporary permit , it canbe as high as 4000 rand and you will pay for storage space while the permit is being done ,you can get a permit online it is cheap usually under R1000. They do all the paperwork for you and you get youre number , take a permit for import and export at the same time , export for africa and eu is usually most common .

Edited by mrmouse

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus

Get a import code, unfortunately its their duty to stop items, I think it will go smoother if you have a import code. best of luck

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus

oh and its FREE to get import code go to SARS

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest
oh and its FREE to get import code go to SARS

Thanks, a bit puzzled now, what is the difference between an import code and an import license?

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus
Thanks, a bit puzzled now, what is the difference between an import code and an import license?

No to sure, could be the same. I went to SARS to tell them I buy online and need a import nr, which I filled a form and 4 weeks later had a import code.

Thus when a import of mine needs a code, I thankfully have one

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus

Oh and when u do go to SARS, ask for the customs dep so u dont stand in looooong Q

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Thanks so much, will do :wink::wink:

mrmouse    12
mrmouse
Thanks so much, will do :wink::wink:

There are lots of lawyers/accountants offices that will do it for you it saves all the legwork , they charge a service fee , the one i used is in PTA and I was charged around R700 for the import/export permit for the business , it was quite a few years ago though , a few pages to fill in and they send it off and get it done .Just specify what you are bringing in as general as possible so you arent tied to say kitchen utensils , mine is for sporting goods and service items (very broad )as well as medical equip and electronics .

Trellis    10
Trellis

The simplest answer here is you need to register as soon as you decide to resell, you are allowed personal gifts. but items brought in for commercial purposes you need to register, or use an import agent.

registering is free and not a bad thing, you may end up saving some money anyway, for the most part items sent via the postal services attract a blanket 20% duty plus VAT where as you may be importing some items that are duty free that could be missed. Usually also items under a certain value often are not declared in the way the postal services so you may be lucky to pay no fees on some imports ( bit of hit and miss there)

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus
blanket 20% duty plus VAT where as you may be importing some items that are duty free that could be missed. Usually also items under a certain value often are not declared in the way the postal services so you may be lucky to pay no fees on some imports ( bit of hit and miss there)

In my 7yrs of importing, whether by postal or courier, the fees always amounts to 30-40% of the value bought. Postal being 30%, courier 40% inclusive of vat.

import TAX, then vat is added (government cant help themselves)

Even a mere value of R160.00 I pay R67.00 tax+vat.

SARS website says below R400 doesn't qualify for duty+vat (so wrong)

Trellis    10
Trellis
In my 7yrs of importing, whether by postal or courier, the fees always amounts to 30-40% of the value bought. Postal being 30%, courier 40% inclusive of vat.

import TAX, then vat is added (government cant help themselves)

Even a mere value of R160.00 I pay R67.00 tax+vat.

SARS website says below R400 doesn't qualify for duty+vat (so wrong)

Sadly there are some complexities in shipping based on all the choices of methods of shipping and service providers

Even postal has several methods, EMS, standard mail and Registered mail from a cost point of view there is a clearance fee plus a duty of say 20% plus a 10% ballooning of the prices and 14% VAT on top, and you right it works out expensive

But there are many cheaper ways to send items.

courier has the same hurdles not all charge a service fee but some do.

SADiamondsrus    10
SADiamondsrus
Sadly there are some complexities in shipping based on all the choices of methods of shipping and service providers

Even postal has several methods, EMS, standard mail and Registered mail from a cost point of view there is a clearance fee plus a duty of say 20% plus a 10% ballooning of the prices and 14% VAT on top, and you right it works out expensive

But there are many cheaper ways to send items.

courier has the same hurdles not all charge a service fee but some do.

Yes, I do agree to some point, if you can share ideas to the cheaper options?

DHL is great for me to import,, FEDEX is hell.

SAPO takes forever, USPS from USA is GREAT

Trellis    10
Trellis

Sorry i did not log in for a while, We are lucky in that we have a branch in China and a company registered in Hong Kong, we do send items in various ways EMS is cheap in terms of Volumetric calculations but is painfully slow the problem is SA customs side, the parcel arrives here and the new policy is to send by post a slip informing you that you must supply documents ( kindly note its the same docs as they already have yet they insist you send these docs) you do this and its hit and miss as to them releasing the items. I wow never to use this method again. Post is too slow and you are at great risk of not receiving your items you paid for.

the big name courier companies DHL FEDEX have more of their own rules they too are generally not that quick and far from Cheap, and often have clearance fees.

We use various methods from Air freight, sea freight, and larger consignment Courier but we also get a daily small parcel delivery which almost always passes without having to deal with any paperwork, generally they always below the value threshold.

We deal with originating courier agents in China rather than local accounts, the system that couriers use in South Africa is a bit pathetic you need to open courier accounts give them the keys to your life and your bank practically and use them allot to get a decent price which really is far from decent at all. In china you really dont need this and can deal with agents who are happy to take your business without having accounts and its far cheaper usually.

There is one that i used in the past who had literally next day delivery from China to SA, they were nice but paid for that privilege. So i can only talk from a China to SA point of view. We have been contemplating a small parcel service ourselves for sea shipments mainly, there is no such thing other than post office surface mail as a cost per kg type service by sea. discounting a few days logistics movement and pack date timing, the sea trip is only two to two and a half weeks from China which is often better than that of post, and some shipments can be tracked. Love watching the GPS on a map entering ports and such. Sadly tax is a fact of life cant do anything about that, the main gripe is when you have no controls.

but in terms of the ideas for Cheaper prices, you have to ask several questions

What is the value, weight and volume of your parcel

ill try explain from the smallest to the largest

Post unregistered (there is proof that an item was sent but when it is sent you are at the mercy of the postal service this method can take form 8 days to 3 months, or never, good for cheap small items and most drop shippers and ebay sellers will use this method and offer you free shipping my advice is dont do it, you may have a great record of receiving your item then suddenly you get nothing.

Post office registered, slightly more expensive per KG and there is a registration fee there is partial tracking to SA and when the item arrives in SA it will get a Local tracking number, also used by some drop shippers its essentially the same as the unregistered so the same warning

EMS ems is good for volumetrically heavy items its generally cheaper than courier, even though its like a courier its just too slow, customs in SA drop the ball and SAPO keep dropping it after that. Its safer and cheaper but gives you a poor quality of life experience.

Courier this starts to get complex, but to simplify prices are based on size or weight whichever is greater

price is measured by the number of kilograms you are sending ie

1- 20 kg is one price and is charged in 500g intervals

21 to 44kg is charged per kilogram and is cheaper than the first method

45kg to 99kg is quite a bit cheaper after this point although you can import as much as you like its more cost effective to move to freight

45kg and above freight is the cheapest the con however is where courier is a fully inclusive service, you now need a freight agent to do your customs clearance and forwarding initial costs are high because the agents have minimum fees that are amortised over the amount you are importing.

all of the above is Air cargo

Sea shipping is the cheapest but the outlays are much more expensive and the costs higher it takes quite allot to cover all the fees and therefore the more you ship the cheaper it is, Essentially there are two types here for retail and wholesale purposes LCL and FCL that just means less than a container load and full container load.

you can ship smaller shipments by sea and will be charged the LCL rate or you can ship FCL and get another rate. There is more too all this but I feel like I have written a book here , sorry about that.

wekwa    10
wekwa

An importers code is given when you register as an importer and shows you import goods for commercial purposes. An import licence which I believe an import permit is given when you want to import controlled and second hand goods. Most importers do not need an import permit, they only need an importers code. An importers code is obtained from SARS while the import permit is issued by ITAC.