Sign in to follow this  
ECigAndMiscelSHOP

Blackmailing buyers with SNC ???? How can BOB just let sellers do this??

ECigAndMiscelSHOP

:confused: I have been browsing a lot of sellers listings lately and it was shocking to see how many sellers on BidorBuy are actually blackmailing buyers with a SNC if they do not make payment within 24-48 hrs after an Auction closed or placed an order with them. This is very very wrong, I am 100% sure that a SNC procedure is only available after a week (7 days ) on any seller's transaction page and therefor NO seller are NOT able to file a SNC before hand, or do some of them have special privileges that some sellers don't have??? I personally think that this is one of the reasons that people are scared to shop on BidorBuy and that it should be stopped. Also this is not very polite or friendly towards any person that want to make a purchase, it's blatantly trying to scare patronage away, please if you are one of these type of sellers stop this kind of abuse towards people who are the blood flow of BidorBuy and keeping it alive.:mad: Remember that if it wasn't for people buying on BidorBuy this site wouldn't have existed in the first place, treat them with respect and better than Gold.

I would like someone from BidorBuy commenting on this subject and what can we do to help this stop??

admin

Hi ECigAndMiscelSHOP,

As a seller you set your own terms and conditions for your listings, as long as they are in line with the bidorbuy T&C's. Most sellers use a time frame for receiving payment to get bids from serious bidders and to restock items as soon as possible. When payment is not received in that time frame, the seller has the right to relist the item and file a SNC, as you said, after 7 days.

mrmouse
:confused: I have been browsing a lot of sellers listings lately and it was shocking to see how many sellers on BidorBuy are actually blackmailing buyers with a SNC if they do not make payment within 24-48 hrs after an Auction closed or placed an order with them. This is very very wrong, I am 100% sure that a SNC procedure is only available after a week (7 days ) on any seller's transaction page and therefor NO seller are NOT able to file a SNC before hand, or do some of them have special privileges that some sellers don't have??? I personally think that this is one of the reasons that people are scared to shop on BidorBuy and that it should be stopped. Also this is not very polite or friendly towards any person that want to make a purchase, it's blatantly trying to scare patronage away, please if you are one of these type of sellers stop this kind of abuse towards people who are the blood flow of BidorBuy and keeping it alive.:mad: Remember that if it wasn't for people buying on BidorBuy this site wouldn't have existed in the first place, treat them with respect and better than Gold.

I would like someone from BidorBuy commenting on this subject and what can we do to help this stop??

How long would you like to take to pay , I feel if payment is not made by end of day it will be relisted , if you want the item ,,Pay for it ,,

NooNooBug

Agree with MrMouse, surely if one places a bid it is because you plan on winning & paying ? Also one would think you should have the money available to pay straight away. I think it is so much easier to just do it all at once, because then I am less likely to forget about it. I have a buyer at the moment that won an auction, never completed the transaction. I sent several emails, then day 6 the order gets completed, day 7 suddenly found my email & I get a promise of payment within next day, so now I am sitting at day 9 and still no payment. My patience is almost finished, will give them until this afternoon & file SNC. So my question is HOw long should we have to wait ? I would rather I get an email stating sorry changed my mind !

PS I do agree that some Sellers do the threatening thing, perhaps they need to reword their terms so as not to come across so harshly !

Edited by NooNooBug

Free Soul Styles

We ask that payment is completed after 3 or 4 days of ordering, because the quicker you pay, the quicker you get your item. I always send a friendly reminder after 3 days and still note that if more time is needed then please can they inform me, which more often than not i get ignored. If i was to ignore an email from a buyer i would be rated negatively on it. I do not mind waiting when a buyer has the decency to let me know. We all have tons on our plate, i get that.

Other sellers have to deal with 50 or more sales a day. Yet some sellers still get rated negatively if the post office is on strike or the parcel took a whole 7 days to get to them.

And after begging and pleading for payment, we still come short when the buyer doesn't pay. A seller could have sold that same item 2 or 3 times. A negative for the buyer means nothing, for us, it means losing business from potential buyers. Is that fair to the person who sells on BoB to make ends meet?

Do we walk into a store and expect the staff to wait a week for payment? No. We expect the best customer service, with a smile. How can we do that when we are running after other buyers to beg for payment?

Edited by Free Soul Styles

ECigAndMiscelSHOP
How long would you like to take to pay , I feel if payment is not made by end of day it will be relisted , if you want the item ,,Pay for it ,,

Okay, maybe I have put this the wrong way. I am a seller as well, my point is this, how can any seller threaten a potential buyer with a SNC if they are not able to file a SNC after 7 days and even if they haven't made an order yet or bid on an auction they get threatened in the listing? I don't agree with this type of nonsense, it's wrong. Usually it's most of the Chinese sellers. If you have a look at some discussions on the forum you will see that there is a concern about patronage on BidorBuy the past few months and that sales are down. It's this type of attitude from sellers that's scaring potential buyers away from shopping with BidorBuy. And yes I agree there is always some buyers that falls in that type of category that can drive you up the wall, but still they are the minority. Therefor I would like to think what can we as sellers do to help get sales back up again, I for one think that we have to look at our attitude towards buyers

and to not think that we are high and mighty, I don't care how many orders any seller has to cope with it was their choice to sell stuff and therefor it's their responsibility to get it right. Once again I am not looking for an argument, I am trying to look for a positive solution.

NooNooBug

I agree it is to do with attitude, but I don't think that you could change some sellers...just the way they are. It does stink that their attitude reflects badly on all sellers but not sure if it can be changed. Would be great if it could !

Little Miss Muffet

I agree with ecig. I have read some listings and some do threaten as he says.It is not what is said but how it is said.

If sellers are so desperate to get payments in there are other ways of describing conditions without threatening.

" Please pay in the time frame so that we can despatch your parcel as soon as possible"

arriwyks

I am a buyer and a seller on Bob; I don't feel threatened or blackmailed by sellers who request prompt payment, after all if you buy on ebay using Paypal, your payment goes through immediately with the order.

Non paying buyers are on the increase and after having filed your 10th SNC, going through the process, loosing the bids from the serious buyers, having to wait for seven days, then filing a SNC, having to wait another seven days, sometimes the buyer indicate they intend to pay and never do, extending the time frame even more, and getting ignored without any response from the buyers you are trying to communication, you become fed up, and will post a warning on your auction that will state :" non paying bidders will be shot if no payment received within 48 Hrs", out of sheer desperation and frustration.

Most sellers I know will bend backward to accommodate a buyer and giving them weeks to pay if they communicate and ask, but the reality is that the majority of non paying buyers just flat out ignore the sellers attempts to communicate and there's no replies to the sellers offers of assistance. I understand why sellers state 48 Hrs instead of 7 days on their terms. Should a buyer state on their listing that they can only file a SNC after 7 days and then you have another seven days to pay, it will be open for abuse, and more non serious buyers will just bid for fun without any intention of paying.

As a buyer I do however feel blackmailed by sellers having ridiculously high shipping charges per item, and unreasonably long shipping times like in some drop shippers that force you to pay custom charges that you don't even know how high it will be until you collect your parcel or when the courier knocks on your door , sellers who ask R300 shipping for a low valued item listed on the R1-00 auction, and sellers who refuse to assist with lost parcels.

But all I do is avoid avoid these sellers and move on to another. I always make sure I check the shipping and conditions, ask questions and view ratings, before placing a bid or using the buy now. There are more honorable, ethical sellers on Bidorbuy than the bad ones, so it's worthwhile to look around.

ECigAndMiscelSHOP
I am a buyer and a seller on Bob; I don't feel threatened or blackmailed by sellers who request prompt payment, after all if you buy on ebay using Paypal, your payment goes through immediately with the order.

Non paying buyers are on the increase and after having filed your 10th SNC, going through the process, loosing the bids from the serious buyers, having to wait for seven days, then filing a SNC, having to wait another seven days, sometimes the buyer indicate they intend to pay and never do, extending the time frame even more, and getting ignored without any response from the buyers you are trying to communication, you become fed up, and will post a warning on your auction that will state :" non paying bidders will be shot if no payment received within 48 Hrs", out of sheer desperation and frustration.

Most sellers I know will bend backward to accommodate a buyer and giving them weeks to pay if they communicate and ask, but the reality is that the majority of non paying buyers just flat out ignore the sellers attempts to communicate and there's no replies to the sellers offers of assistance. I understand why sellers state 48 Hrs instead of 7 days on their terms. Should a buyer state on their listing that they can only file a SNC after 7 days and then you have another seven days to pay, it will be open for abuse, and more non serious buyers will just bid for fun without any intention of paying.

As a buyer I do however feel blackmailed by sellers having ridiculously high shipping charges per item, and unreasonably long shipping times like in some drop shippers that force you to pay custom charges that you don't even know how high it will be until you collect your parcel or when the courier knocks on your door , sellers who ask R300 shipping for a low valued item listed on the R1-00 auction, and sellers who refuse to assist with lost parcels.

But all I do is avoid avoid these sellers and move on to another. I always make sure I check the shipping and conditions, ask questions and view ratings, before placing a bid or using the buy now. There are more honorable, ethical sellers on Bidorbuy than the bad ones, so it's worthwhile to look around.

Yip, that's very true. Like I have mentioned mostly the Chinese sellers make's me very itchy, to be honest I think they shouldn't be allowed to sell on BOB because they are the culprits in what you have mentioned and if you have a look at their ratings, specially their negative ratings one would see how cocky they are.

I am a seller and a buyer as-well and I have bought some presents for my wife a short while ago, it was from 2 separate sellers and both their communication and time frame for shipping did not impress me very much, they both took about 2 days to respond to a simple question like " What is the ETA" I have already received one parcel and then the answer from them.

To come back to what you have said about extremely high shipping charges, well I have seen allot of that in many listings on BOB, specially in the coin section. Some sellers charge R250 for the first item and R120 for each additional item and that's local sellers, that is daylight robbery. But I have seen some sellers that have been fined for that, but it did not really made an impact on the seller because he is still doing business at the same rate. I feel that BOB should really put hard pressure on this type of abuse and be very strict about it.

On the subject of the SNC that I feel very strong about, yes your right but still my argument is not that it get mentioned but the way it is mentioned. You really get the impression that you have to do here with a very rude person and therefor I would rather move on to someone that seems friendly and willing to help out with any issue that arises from a transaction if there are any. The type of buyers that you have mentioned that have to be nagged and nagged, I agree because we all as sellers have to deal with them sooner or later but luckily they are the minority so over time I have learned that it's better to ignore the negativity that they bring forward. The truth of the matter is that they exist in everyday life all over in all kinds of businesses and we just have to deal with that.

Another thing that I have seen is that some sellers advertise an item with a description that state that the item is " OPTIMUS PRIME LEADER OF TRANSFORMERS" (and this is not the only one, this is only one of many) they sell it to a buyer and when the buyer rate them negative for false advertising and a cheap knock, the seller goes and rate the buyer negative and says that that it wasn't stated in the listing that it is Optimus prime leader of the transformers. :wtf: Now how can this be fair? See what I mean? I totally agree with you some sellers really do their best, but the ones that's like a bad apple in the basket they are actually putting us as sellers in a very bad spot and I can guarantee you most buyers on BOB that receive this kind of treatment will stay far away and will not come back. Therefor we must try harder to get these type of sellers to take their business somewhere else because they are killing the online business, and I can add with that that we must stop to be ignorant with this type of behavior. Maybe BOB can think of a way to get us as sellers more involved and point the rotten apples out, I would love it to take some sellers head on and give them a piece of my mind. If we want people to by our stuff they must be assured that it is safe to do so and the only way is to do it the hard way and clean BOB up.

arriwyks

I agree with you. I have found Bob to be very helpful when you report any form of bad behavior to them. It's just when it comes to high volume sellers that one feels helpless against them. I also found that not all overseas sellers are bad, some of them are very helpful and actually ships faster than local sellers, but then you do get those who rip you off and doesn't communicate. Or send you something totally different than advertised, It happens a lot with the electronic goods. With Chinese goods, I found that in most cases you can go directly to manufactures and purchase from them at half the normal retail price, with very professional service, they usually ship DHL at a reasonable fee, and you'll have your goods in 4 days after you made a Paypal payment, with minimum if any import duties due, as oppose to the re-sellers who try to rip you off.

You'll notice that most of the high valued items that are listed on auction at a low starting price will always be pushed up to market value by shill bidding and it's difficult to prove, but if you follow the auction you'll notice that some items will have no bids, but as soon as you bid, then another bid will come in a bit higher, and so it goes on. Also many times if you are the only bidder on an auction that doesn't have much interest, you may be winning untill seconds before the auction closes and then a bid will go through beating you at the last second, and the next day you'll see the same item re listed by the same seller again. This has put me off auctions for the most part.

SADiamondsrus
Hi ECigAndMiscelSHOP,

As a seller you set your own terms and conditions for your listings, as long as they are in line with the bidorbuy T&C's. Most sellers use a time frame for receiving payment to get bids from serious bidders and to restock items as soon as possible. When payment is not received in that time frame, the seller has the right to relist the item and file a SNC, as you said, after 7 days.

Here I agree, I stock high value items and cash flow is usually a issue (is it not for everyone!)

I prefer payment within 24-48hours (if serious buyer this should be no issue) My policy is that after 1 week, the item is no long available to that buyer (imagine waiting 4+ weeks for payment) and either gets re-listed or sold privately.

Communication is key, if serious buyer say hey! can only pay you after 10 days, ok no problem, we communicated. No check out + communication within 24hours (either or) results in SNC 99% of the time.

Seller, having listed, paid success fee + advertising fees (yes success get refunded back to cash flow issue) now has to spend more on re-advertising and hoping+praying for the next client to be a serious one.

With he guidance of BOB, I have worded my terms very carefully.

All the best Bobbers!

Michelle