Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

Solving a 2500 year old Coin Mystery

Pierre_Henri

A client brought a coin to me today and I had a hard time identifying it. I knew it was ancient and probably Greek but that was it.

But Google can do wonders for solving mysteries.

As I could see a crab and what looks like a centipede on the one side, I first Googled “ancient coin” and then starting with “crab” I had too many hits and then added “centipede” but then had no hits.

I replaced the search word “centipede” with “lobster” and still no luck but when I replaced “lobster” with “crayfish” BANG – I found it under Google images for “ancient coin / Greek / crab / crayfish”

Here is a description of the coin

SICILY, AKRAGAS, c. 500 BC. AE23 Tetras. Eagle r. on hare, pecking at hd. /Crab, 3 pellets and crayfish below

Can you believe it – the coin dates from around 500 before Christt !

Here is a picture of the coin and images I found of similar coins but obviously in much better condition...

EWAAN Galleries
A client brought a coin to me today and I had a hard time identifying it. I knew it was ancient and probably Greek but that was it.

But Google can do wonders for solving mysteries.

As I could see a crab and what looks like a centipede on the one side, I first Googled “ancient coin” and then starting with “crab” I had too many hits and then added “centipede” but then had no hits.

I replaced the search word “centipede” with “lobster” and still no luck but when I replaced “lobster” with “crayfish” BANG – I found it under Google images for “ancient coin / Greek / crab / crayfish”

Here is a description of the coin

SICILY, AKRAGAS, c. 500 BC. AE23 Tetras. Eagle r. on hare, pecking at hd. /Crab, 3 pellets and crayfish below

Can you believe it – the coin dates from around 500 before Christt !

Here is a picture of the coin and images I found of similar coins but obviously in much better condition...

Off the topic but a must see - How big is Google?