Sign in to follow this  
dstorm

Exhibition with a Difference

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

Eighty hours to go till the start of “The Exhibition with a Difference”.

Among the exhibitors will be well known Bobbers like Farstamps, Fanie3 (our Goldstar seller), Gabriel1, KennyN and Madathome. Others, like Estamps, Seahorsefanatic, Translin and yours truly will stay discreetly in the background.

(Hope I won’t get shot by admin for using the names of these Bobbers in vain!).

In spite of remarks like “dreamers”, “you are out of your depth” and “it is a bit of a pipe-dream” Gabriel1 managed to accept no less than 180 frames – that is 2 700 pages of exhibits!!

Definitely one of the biggest stamp exhibitions (if not THE biggest) ever to be held in this country without any financial assistance from The Philatelic Federation of South Africa.

Thanks to everybody for your moral / financial support in helping to make this exhibition a reality.

We are only 50% over our original budget, but that is only because Gabriel1 is the secretary and I am the treasurer.

All that remains now is some hard work (which I hope to pass on to Gabriel1 and KennyN) and then it will be time for one big party.

Regards

Jacques

mellowred    10
mellowred

Good luck all. Wish I could be there to meet you and share a ciggie and a laugh. It's sure to be a riot.

And just to think I could have brought those postcards ;).

Kind regards

Mandy

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello Mandy

Thanks for the wishes.

It's sure to be a riot.

That is why Gabriel1 smokes a lot.

Regards

Jacques

qball    10
qball

Hi guys

Would bidorbuy be allowed to visit the exhibit? Meet some of the well known names in the stamp fraternity?

Kind regards

Cuan

Kit W    10
Kit W

Hi Guys

Please notify me of the physical address & times so that I can set the old GPS all the way from "die Wesrand" - I wish the committee all of the best and may their hard work & "time spent" pay off dividends

Cheers

kit W

:D:)

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello Cuan

Of course! I think it is a wonderful idea.

Can email you directions and opening times.

Regards

Jacques

gabriel 1    10
gabriel 1

Hi All

If you miss this one you will be sorry, this is going to shake the Philatelic community and people will whisper "There's a new Sheriff in town". Hope to see as many of you there as possible, trophies are awarded by public vote, come and see what we are doing and cast your vote.

Best Regards

Gabriel1

mellowred    10
mellowred

I'll be sitting in George sipping a glass of red :) while you are exhibiting. So once again good luck and all the best.

Cheers

Mandy

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello Mandy

Would have loved to join in the glass of red. However Gabriel1 is very strict. As he said himself: There is a new sheriff in town.

Pity you are so far away – we could have done with some more help. Transporting and then erecting 180 exhibition frames and mounting 2 700 album pages.

If Gabriel1 was not so #@%$#* effective, we would have had half the work.

Well, nobody is perfect.

Regards

Jacques

Creative Luck    10
Creative Luck

Is this the exhibition in boksburg your talking about ? :D

dstorm    10
dstorm

Yes,

Boksburg of all places!

Regards

Jacques

Creative Luck    10
Creative Luck

Boksburg HAHA I suppose that wasnt suppose to get out ;)

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

The first day of the “Exhibition with a Difference” was a huge success.

The down size is / was that so many so called philatelists are still not getting the message!

This exhibition is not an experiment. It is not a learning curve. We are NOT trying to imitate a National Exhibition. We are not only playing by our own rules, but by the rules that the majority of stamp collectors in this country want. Full stop. And we have won! Another full stop.

We have had countless of compliments. We appreciate them all. The only criticism came from the blindfolded with the blinkers on.

Not that we are not open to constructive criticism (of course we want to do even better next year). The only problem is that we did not receive any constructive suggestions. Nor any offers of help for the next exhibition.

We will be working till about 20:00 on Sunday – dismantling and loading the exhibits / exhibition frames.

Thanks to everybody for your support. Your participation / physical help / moral support / presence made it all worthwhile.

At the risk of sounding condescending I want to thank our secretary (Gabriel1) for his excellent organiastion regarding the receiving / mounting of the exhibits (a final figure of almost 3 000 pages). The OFFICIAL viewpoint regarding this was simple: “You are out of your depth”. Gabriel1’s reply was just as simple: “You are wrong.”

Regards

Jacques

seahorsefanatic    10
seahorsefanatic

Well done for all who contributed to this wonderfull event. I walked through all the aisles a number of times and kept going back to look at a number of exhibits. The free flow of ideas was very refreshing as well as the lateral thinking of some of the exhibitors as to layout and subject matter. This exhibition has been a long time coming and I take my hat off to Jacques, Kenny, Steven for a great idea at the right time.

Let this event grow stronger by the year. I will definately put an exhibit together for next year and this is due to the motivation I felt yesterday. As a matter of interest, I last exhibited as a junior in 1981 and 1983 at the nationals and felt no motivation to carry on due to the critical response I received at the time. Thats 26 years gone by !!!

Viva the new approach and to h*ll with all those old boring f**ts who sit in their ivory towers enforcing their opinion on all of us. Let us break the shackles and make our hobby fun again :P:p:p:p:p

Rusty500    10
Rusty500

Hi all,

It seems as so the folk from George were all drinking red wine whilst our comrades in JHB were working their backsides off. (What a lovely, relaxed place George is). Well done to the Vaalies for organising what would seem to have been a fantastic event!!! Would it be possible to upload a few photographs of the event for the CAW fraternity to have a look at while we finish off the bottle.

Regards

Chris Flack

Rusty500

mellowred    10
mellowred

Even the folk from Hermanus were drinking red wine in George while the Vaalies worked. But me thinks that's generally the case with us Capies ;).

Glad to hear your event was a success guys. And if you have done something out of the ordinary to make your hobby even more appealling, well hats off to you.

Regards

Mandy

PS : Chris, George is great. I'm even thinking of moving this way.

gabriel 1    10
gabriel 1

Hi all

Thankyou for all the positive comments, as soon as I have recovered enough I will give you all a break-down of the entire event as it unfolded as well as some photographs Jaques took with his "Wonder Camera", "I wonder if it works".

On another subject the Bloemfontein Nationals is coming soon and we have decided to conduct a fact finding mission, code named "Boksburg in Bloem". Apart from the exhibition we are planning a trip to the Bloem Boer War Museum and anywhere else our creative thinking takes us, I reckon Bloem should start stocking up on Whisky.

Regards

Gabriel1

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

The last time I visited Bloem was as a stamp dealer taking part in the National Exhibition held there in the late 90’s. My car broke down 80 km from my home and I simply got a tow truck to take me and my car with a packed up gearbox the remaining 350km to Bloemfontein. Everybody in the stamp circle knew my old blue Nissan Skyline and it was quite hilarious, sitting in front of the tow truck, waving a beer at all the dealers and collectors from Gauteng laughing and gesturing as they passed the tow truck with my car hitched behind it in reverse (front wheels on the tarmac, rear in the air). It was a novel way of “Do not drink and drive”.

As a bunch of dealers, we had great fun after hours, the details of which I will not divulge on this public forum.

Unfortunately, two of my friends whom I spent great dinners and many whiskies with in Bloem, Ian Gourlay and Garth Eichorn, are no longer with us. Also, the person who gave me the cash to pay for the tow truck, Lutz Hefferman, passed on a few months ago.

So I will visit Bloemfontein with many memories.

I will see if I get time to visit the war museum. I am sure that Bloem has many other distractions on offer.

Regards

Jacques