Sign in to follow this  
seahorsefanatic

Peel and stick stamps

seahorsefanatic    10
seahorsefanatic

Having not floated stamps in some time I have wondered about the peel and stick variety such as the modern Australia amongst others. Its a procedure that I know Jacques attempted in a bath at one time and then bailed out of and ended up none to popular with those who wanted to use the bath !!!!

I am not wanting to attempt an extensive float but have tried a few of these "peel & stick" stamps which require endless patience and a steady hand to separate the stamp from the "stick" portion without damaging the stamp due to the fact that it can easily be damaged as it is soft from the water. Is there any other method ? Some will say " rather collect mint " haha to you and you.

I have noticed that once you separate the 2 layers, the stamp appears to be thinner and more fragile than one with old fashioned gum that dissolves.

The above is just as frustrating when floating some Japanese occupation stamps that I tried as a youngster and didnt know that the stamp were not made with normal paper but with something that resembled reeds and rolled up into a tight ball once immersed in water. We live a learn :wtf:

So the reason for my post is to ask if anyone out there can give me advice on how to float "peel & stick " stamps. I would appreciate any tips you may have

cgbrown    10
cgbrown

Hi,

Go onto Stampboards.com and search for a topic "soaking peel and stick". Lots of posts, suggestions and advice.

This is an Australian based site and probably the best philatelic web site in the world.

Chris

seahorsefanatic    10
seahorsefanatic

Hi Chris - Many thanks - will investigate the site. :smile:

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

HOT water and only HOT water;as you have mentioned above the paper is thinner,so don't use the lighter fluid or what not that they suggest on stampboards and elsewhere.

1 - the stamp.

58f5a74fa31c6_Picture002.jpg.731265d8c8e4a0bf06c2ac47eac533de.jpg

2 - Place it in a bowl of hot (kettle) water for 5 mins.

58f5a74faf06b_Picture003.jpg.0cb1eb2833df4f45b56de56850f07522.jpg

3 - After 5mins, it should separate from the gum. The stamp gumless.

58f5a74fb9592_Picture058.jpg.035e459a4290fc9dd772e16d483f8b38.jpg

4 - the paper and gum.

58f5a74fc98ed_Picture060.jpg.2f29681ac683e5b55e90b0e78135ae0f.jpg

5 - Into a drying book or two pieces of white paper with a bunch of books over, but of course one would do 50 to a 100 at a time. (but I'm sure you know this part too.)

seahorsefanatic    10
seahorsefanatic

Hi John

Since my first posting on the subject, I have found a solution which worked on the Australia "peel & stick" stamps I floated. I soaked the lot in warm water and rinsed replacing the warm water twice. Then I removed each stamp whilst on paper and placed face down on a smooth rubber blotter. I then carefully pealed back the paper whist the stamp was stuck down to the blotter surface ( as it was wet ). The paper with the glue separated from the stamp when peeled from the corner. This way I was able to salvage 95% or more of the stamps. One has to be careful when pressing the stamps as they tend to curl due to the thinness and I think due to the gum used.

All remnants of the gum must be removed because if some remains and this gets stuck onto the face of another stamp, this is almost impossible to separate without damaging the stamp underneath.

At the end of the day its patience and resolve that gets the job done. :bigsmile:

librashares    10
librashares

But wait-THERE'S MORE- When you have battled this way for hours, and the stamps are now dry and flat, you carefully arrange them in a R100 stockbook, which you then put on one of the local auctions, and it realises R110, less the auctioneer's fee of R20, and WOW, you have kept yourself busy for a whole week and it has cost you only R10+petrol! Gotta LOVE this hobby!

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

And free stress relieving mediation while you're at it :biggrin:; the only reason I bother soaking modern lots.